Corsair Community

help!!

hc_416

Hello my name is Michael and I bought corsair memory #

cmz12gx3m3a2000c10

I can not get it to boot at 2000, which is what it is supposed to be. It will not get past post. I have a asus rampage forulma 3 with a intel i7 overclocked to 4.003. The ram is currently runing at 1744 with timeing of 9-9-9-27. I would like to know if you could help me to get it to boot. One question i have is when i went to the xmp profile and selected #1 it won't boot same with #2 I also manual set the timing's and still could get it to boot. Another quetion i have is to get it to boot do i have to have a overclock of 4.6 to keep the math with in spec. thank you for your help. Michael

• Corsair Employees
More then likely your CPU is just topping out, the CPU you have is rated at DDR1066 for memory and as you over clock the CPU you will have to lower the memory frequency so the CPU can over clock, so what you have posted would suggest its just the CPU, but testing the modules in another system would help verify that or testing the modules one at a time.

why then would they make triple channel memory that is 2000? also what chip and mobo combo can run that memory. I have also up the votls on the the northbridge and the ram itself to no avial. I have put the chip at the stock setting and cant get the ram to boot. I have read that some of the corsiar chip are that are rated this high are hard to get to boot i didn't think it would be this hard. Do you have any setting i could change manual in the dram timeing contronl that might help. From my understanding even chip in the older core i7 is only able to run 1066 is that true? The sandybridge is only able to run 1333 so I am confused and cant figer it out. Could you please explain in a little more detail what i would have to do to get it to work i.e. get differnt ram, get new cpu, get new mobo.....etc also thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employees

Because, we make and have made memory for over clocking that is our specialty and what we have done since day one.

But its over clocking and there is no way to know that every CPU will over clock that high.

What happens if you reset the MB BIOS using the CLRTC jumper? Will it post and let you into the BIOS?

i have not used or herd of that method of trying to restart. It will shut off and then wont restart. i have to turn it back on and the computerr resets it to1066, says overclocked failed and i have yo enter bios to set the right timing. are you suggesting i use the clear cmos button and strat from scratch ?

i have reset it and started from strach and still have not been able to get it to start. at the stated speed. I have a rampage forulma three mobo and the book state's the following reset ablitys reset switch , q reset buttion , go buttion clear rtc ram(which i what you are talking about) and bios switch. What do the clear rtc ram do? and how will it be benfit getting the ram to run right?

• Corsair Employees

You may not have much experience with over clocking is that correct?

I would try and go to BIOS setup and then load setup defaults and then enable XMP Profile one and set the memory frequency manually to DDR1600 and see if it will post, but chances are the CPU you have will just not over clock that high.

i have tried many combo's on this memory and it just does not seem up to par with what is said on the case. I have set xmp at profile 1 and 2, oc, and at defualt no go on any attempts their. I then rasied the northbridge to get the memory controler more power hopeing that would work, another no go, i tried to up the volt's on the ram themselfs no go. I losened the timing's and tightend the timing's no go. So I settled at 1754, with tight timings. I might not have 30 years of experiance but I not that stupied either. I also do get why i would want to cut power and rebot. Once the system is off it is cleared. So unless you are telling me the memory has parts that save info with out eletricty i don't see the point of you suggestion. Other than to power off just the ram do you have any more constrive suggestion. Should i raise the northbridge, so i rasied the volts on the ram, and does the memory have a problem booting at 2000 i looked around and found this to be a common problem. So If i may ask what chip can run this ram at 2000 and thanks againg for your help.

I also don't think you understood what i said. I have the computer running at 1754 with timings of 9-9-9-27. IT runs fine and pass's all stress test. I can not get it to boot at 2000 which is what it is supposed to be. I belive i should have stated my problem in a better fashion. I am sorry

No one is saying your stupid. But the i-7 950 in particular is notorious for having a weak memory controller. Your inability for not getting the ram to run at 2000mhz is most likely the limitations of your CPU. Just because your motherboard supports speeds that high no way guarantees that you will be able to run them that high. No matter how much voltage or tweaking you do and is no way the RAMs fault. But if you think it is them just RMA them for another kit and try again. I have an older 920 and 1704 is the wall i hit with it. It's just the way it is . I have tried faster memory with the same no go results. There is also no way to recommend any chip that will run 2000mhz when almost all of them officially support 1333mhz natively and depends on how well the chips IMC handles the overclock. And since each chips IMC varies vastly from one to another it's hit and miss no matter what you choose

• Corsair Employees
Posted By hc_416

I also don't think you understood what i said. I have the computer running at 1754 with timings of 9-9-9-27. IT runs fine and pass's all stress test. I can not get it to boot at 2000 which is what it is supposed to be. I believe I should have stated my problem in a better fashion. I am sorry

Yes I did understand you correctly and as peanutz94 and I both have suggested it is our best guess that the CPU you have is the limit and the fact that you can run the memory at this speed at 1T really kind of confirms our suspension. However if you feel its the memory by all means I have no problem at all replacing them. Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can try that.

if you understood what i said why would you say this,

You may not have much experience with over clocking is that correct?

I would try and go to BIOS setup and then load setup defaults and then enable XMP Profile one and set the memory frequency manually to DDR1600 and see if it will post, but chances are the CPU you have will just not over clock that high.

I also stated i was looking for advice, not a clusmy rma process so i don't have to deal wiht you.

On top of that you still have said why i should reset dymicam memory.

I will never again buy your product and I will tell eveyone i know to not buy your product. It is unfornate that it cam to this, if it was the cpu i was looking for more of a techinacl term like the i7 950 has a qpi of 4.2 not 6.4 so it can't not handle all of the datat and is leading to instablity. Thank you for your time you have just lost a customer.

Hc416, i think you are taking this a little too much to heart. Are you really going to get upset because someone asked if you have or /dont have much experience at overclocking?

I also stated i was looking for advice, not a clusmy rma process so i don't have to deal wiht you.

The advice was given to you. Given the information you provided this was the conclusion we came to. I'm sorry if you dont want to understand that it's the memory controller that resides on the CPU that is keeping you from running you ram at 2000mhz. It's not going to matter what settings you try it's just not going to run that high. The memory is not at fault here. But like RG and myself have stated, if you want to try another kit to rule out the memory then just RMA them. It's not that big of deal. And Corsair RMA process is really pretty fast and painless. I have been through it myself once! :)

On top of that you still have said why i should reset dymicam memory.

What was suggested was to clear the CMOS resetting the BIOS. Sometimes settings get stuck in the BIOS and a complete reset will flush out those settings giving you a clean slate for any new settings to take hold.

if it was the cpu i was looking for more of a techinacl term like the i7 950 has a qpi of 4.2 not 6.4 so it can't not handle all of the datat and is leading to instablity.
Again, it's going to boil down to how strong/weak the memory controller is. There really is no "technical " explanation for it other than this.

• Corsair Employees

hc_416

I am sorry if I offended you that was not my intent, but knowing how much time you have behind the stick helps us to know what you may or may not already know.

Please do me a favor before you post again and I think this will help to make it more clear

Go to http://www.google.com and search for key words like Intel I950, Over clocking, Highest frequency I think you will see thousands of people asking this same type of question, I know I have answered this same type of question hundreds of times on this very forum, if not thousands, so its not like my first time at this dance please keep that in mind!

And again I am sorry to offend you.;):

Archived