Corsair Community

H50 CPU Cooling Problems

I have lately been having problems with my H50 Cooling system, back in the days my CPU used to be cooled at Idle temps of about 34c, nowdays, my Idle temp is about 61c Core Temp, i've tried to replace Termal paste about 5 times, 2 different brands, High Quality Paste.

The temperatures has been continually the same at Idle, and Load is much much worse, im up at 92c after about 30 minutes of Fluidmark testing in window mode.

I have been running at 3500mhz OC on my CPU for the whole year, and its suddenly now long later been behaving like this..

What could be the problem?..

Pictures Attached.

I've tried different fans, stock Corsair fans at the water block, and Noctua fans at max speed.

Almost all fans is Noctua Fans.

If you need more information, i'll gladly oblige :)

Yours sincerely:

Kenny

t7fx1x.thumb.jpg.8c252d9099eaf0ec18ab6101a70552ba.jpg

5d5b1x.thumb.jpg.7ec875d7edf45681d3ec4a39558a465f.jpg

kaqrrd.thumb.jpg.bb212edc6465a4ee9a33be4a79b74fee.jpg

29uvmz6.thumb.jpg.8a4f4348966460d45526206fbec4b009.jpg

27zfdjs.thumb.jpg.d977dbd3e6bf5ddc581a979f41b99c24.jpg

Agreed and when you applied new Heat Sink grease how did you apply it?

Did you apply it to both the cooler and CPU in a thin even coat to both?

Im gonna do a cleaning today or tomorrow, i'll be sure to post back by then, as for the Heat Sink grease, i only put it on the CPU, then applied it, did i do it wrong?

Only using a millimeter thick layer, only discovered bad cooling with thicker.

I would reapply it and put in on both the cooler and CPU almost where it is too much.

Tried putting paste on both sides now, and got even worse temps, 91c IDLE.. Oh my god.. :(

What should i do??...

Im gonna try with reapply more paste...

I filled with paste all around the cooling block, and all around the cpu block, 1 millimeter surface on both. brb

Edit:

LOL, i repeat, never do this in the dark, i accidently missplaced the cooling block so it wasnt touching the CPU, thats why i had those insane temps..

I have now used a flashlight for future reference and am feeling really got damn dumb for doing such a mistake..

Idle temps are now 51c.. Good or bad?.. :)

Load 74c and higher, didnt stress it enaugh, gonna try putting more paste on it.. :p

omg stop!!!!!

follow the paste instructions for your CPU from arctic silvers website. ya cant go wrong there. too much is too much, you will short out your board and cpu!!!!

good god!!!

I redid the cooling paste again, both sides, CPU + Cooling block, down to 45-46c idle, fanspeed says its green now.

Figured i put to litle paste on there, now temps seems good enaugh, the Rev C2 is hotter than C3, have to live with that..

Gonna try Load temps now..

Edit:

Load temps are at 65c 100%, seems good, will give it a couple of days to become efficient.

Also gonna try disabling Cool & Quiet, and Smart Fan.

Cheers.

Trying to finetune the Vcore alitle bit, having it at Auto gives in about 1.44v, to me that seems abit much, put it at 1.31v, and got the cpu to 40c idle.. gonna fiddle abit more with that..

Edit:

Also noticed something strange with Speedfan, it keeps telling me Vcore is at 1.55v, but thats not what i put it at?.. is it showing wrong?

I would check what is shows in the MB BIOS to be sure.

You're right, Speedfan is lying.. or missleading atleast..

Bios tells me otherwise, so i will count on that instead.

encountered some bluescreens already, hopefully not anymore, tried a couple of different vcore settings, hopefully the thermal paste will kick in soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Its not lying to you its just not always accurate especially with MB's that do not follow the reference design or may not use the reference BIOS.

Hey once again, been a while since i last visited, been fiddling alot with the computer overall, bought a new Corsair Nova 2 SSD, Fun fun!

But enaugh of that!

So this means the voltages on the cpu fluctuates?..

Also bought 2 cans of air, emptied 1 of em and cleaned out the computer pretty much everything, plus the vacuum cleaner..

Will post back when i have more accurate temps on idle as i did a cleaning of the Cooling fins..

Have done some testing and got the following results:

CPU Vcore set at Auto (Didn't fiddle with it enaugh to figure out a good vcore that didn't bsod my windows)

46c Idle

58-60c Load

Seems pretty good tbh :) But sadly this means i won't be able to Overclock the CPU any more than i have atm.. at 3500mhz, which is pretty low compared to the 3800mhz it should be able to handle with air fans.. :)

Edit: got upto 63c load when pushing all the system.

• Corsair Employees
Then your temps are great I would suggest trying to keep the system as cool as possible and about 75 Deg F or about 22-23 C may be to best or the max room temp for the other components in your system,

Then your temps are great I would suggest trying to keep the system as cool as possible and about 75 Deg F or about 22-23 C may be to how for the other components in your system,

Thank you! :) I'll keep that in mind!

Might aswell seek for other solutions to get the temps down! But its not behaving strangely anymore atleast..

Will be posting another matter in a second, Should i start another thread for the other problem, or should i keep it in this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright :) I'll ask in this thread then!

I bought an SSD drive (CSSD-V60GB2), Installed Windows 7 x64 on it, when i first booted up everything seemed fine! Super fast drive, no hiccups, just pure awesomeness..

But A couple of days later i started digging into optimizations to the SSD, and found a couple i'll post below:

Registry changes to EnablePrefetcher Set to 0 and EnableSuperfetch Set to 0, should increase the speed and reduce the likelihood that the drive would die too fast because of the defragmentation..

So i did those optimizations, and also found the Trim Command, and activated that aswell..

But a day later, i started feeling Extreme lags in the windows, Sometimes it would almost stop, had a Bluescreen once aswell (Not sure it was because of the SSD), but the slowness of the operating system seems very bad, sometimes i get such slowdowns that i have to wait 20-30 seconds or even minutes depending on the task it does to the drive, untill it comes to life again it seems..

Not sure what does this, so i activated the Superfetcher and Prefetcher again to 3 on both as it was before i modified them, and nothing has changed....

So i started up Defraggler, to see if there we're some problem with the fragmentation, and got the error in Defraggler that Defragmentating an SSD drive would shorten its lifespan, so i did not.. But i did an Analyze of the drives fragmentation level and got 12% fragmentation...

Didn't bother to do anything with that as i can't risk lowering the life of the drive..

So now im wondering, is there something wrong with my SSD disk?..

I did a health check with Crystaldiskinfo 4.0.2 and got HealthStatus: Good, and the values shown is the following below:

Read Error rate: Current: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 50

Power-On Hours Current: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 0

Power Cycle Count Current: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 0

Unknown Count: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 0

Unknown Count: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 10

Unknown Count: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 0

Unsafe Shutdown Count Current: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 0

Unknown Count: 100 Worst: 100 Threshold: 50

Features shown: S.M.A.R.T, 48bit LBA, APM,(AAM, Greyed out),NCQ,TRIM

Power On Count: 6 Count

Power On Hours: 30 hours

If you need more info, i'd gladly oblige!

Archived