Corsair Community

Poor performance on new P3 128 SSD

drdelp

Installed Performance 3 Series Corsair 128gb SSD SATA III, Fresh upgrade Win 7;set it up as boot drive, attached to Marvell 91xx controller, which has 2 ports; CSSD attached to port 0 (drive C), Hitachi 2T SATA iii (data drive) attached to Port 1 (drive J). System boot time 41 to 47 seconds (per Saluto). Ran ATTO Disk Benchmark on both drives. According to the test, the mechanical drive vastly outperforms the SSD (see attached files.) It's a new install and I have not done the Windows 7 tweaks. The Marvell controller is working, during POST shows both drives at 6.0 GBs. Any thoughts/suggestions?

ssd-01.bmp

Hit-02.jpg.832d1096ab1ed011d38951d707f1420d.jpg

ATTO can't be right. One drive doing 2600 MB/s? No way. What's the model of the OEM PC?

I was thinking the same thing. HOLY DAMN!

When I run AJA system test on my MAC, and enable file system cache, I get 4000 mb read and 4500mb write. Insane right? I have no idea what this means.

The OEM PC is Gateway Model FX6801; however the drives tested are aftermarket, connected to a SIIG DP SATA 6Gb/s controller (Marvell 91xx). I'm thinking the high read scores are because of the harddrive's onboard cache? I also ran ATTO on another drive (H-drive, 500 GB Seagate, SATA ii) and its score was Read=3429 and write=607 (see attached test results.) While these mechanical drives' test scores are interesting, my real question is why the SSD drive scores are so low? I appreicate your input. Thanks, drdelp

H-drive01.jpg.1fec7d4c3503145f2d8c345b1d4bfc40.jpg

The speeds on the mechanical drive are biased because of cache. Make the length of the ATTO test longer and you will see that they eventually drop to normal speeds after the cache gets filled (this is one of the nice features of ATTO).

The P3 drives are seriously underperforming by a long shot. For some reason, they barely even look like SATA II speeds. Really the only thing I can suggest is try them in another controller.

I installed the P3 on another machine, with SATA ii controller, same poor performance (max read speed 182 MB); i ran ATTO with P3 as boot drive and non-boot; same performance ratings (below 200 Mbs Reads). The P3 was to replace my 64GB SATA II SSD (G2 Series Sanforce controller); it's ATTO score is Write=220 MBs; Read = 273 MBs). drdelp

I installed the P3 on another machine, with SATA ii controller, same poor performance (max read speed 182 MB); i ran ATTO with P3 as boot drive and non-boot; same performance ratings (below 200 Mbs Reads). The P3 was to replace my 64GB SATA II SSD (G2 Series Sanforce controller); it's ATTO score is Write=220 GBs; Read = 273 GBs). drdelp

220 GB/s? Uh... no.

• Corsair Employees
Try secure erasing the drive and see if the numbers do not perform at which they should. Also make sure under properties of your drive that compress drive to save disk space is not enabled.

I tried reformatting the drive, got test result to read 220 MBs, but on very next, test the read speed was ~185 MBs. Tech supports answer was to issue an RMA; instead i returned the drive for a refund. I Thank everyone who read and posted to trying to help. Maybe next time... drdelp

Archived