Corsair Community

Performance 3 Series 128GB is SUSPECT

DiamondD

Hi,

I have this problem which began last night when I tried running a full virus scan with MSE. 10 mins into the scan my pc froze then greeted me with a nice BSOD (0x000000F4). Note - I built this PC just over a month ago and its been perfect up to this point.

I ran MSE a few more times with roughly the same result(pc freeze no more BSOD). I uninstalled/reinstalled MSE and tried a few more times. Same thing. After awhile I noticed that the scan would always freeze on the same file being scanned (C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll) I uninstalled MSE and installed AVAST to see if I'd get the same result which I did though I'm not sure if it stopped on the same file but it definitely froze while in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Tried it a couple more times with the same result.

I checked around online for similar issues and learned that it could be a hardware problem, specifically a HD problem. To eliminate a potential RAM problem I ran MemTest86+ overnight for 7 passes. No errors/problems. This morning I tried the CHKDSK utility on the SSD and it also froze on stage 4 and 17%. I tried again multiple times with the same result and freezing at the same point. Anticipating a OS reinstall I attempted to back up the SSD onto my HDD (using windows back up utility) and it also froze when reaching the point where the utility begins to do the actual back up of the SSD. Am I on the right track here? I'm not sure what else to try. Is this the beginning of a failing SSD or would OS reinstall solve the issue??

Other then what I've described the PC appears to operate without issue unless I attempt 1)Virus Scan 2)Run CHKDSK 3) Back Up SSD

Where do I go from here?

Hi, I'm importing this from another thread in which Yellowbeard told me to monitor this thread (even though I own a Performance 3 128GB and this is a 'Corsair Force 3 SSD Issues?' thread)

I have this problem which began last night when I tried running a full virus scan with MSE. 10 mins into the scan my pc froze then greeted me with a nice BSOD (0x000000F4). Note - I built this PC just over a month ago and its been perfect up to this point.

I ran MSE a few more times with roughly the same result(pc freeze no more BSOD). I uninstalled/reinstalled MSE and tried a few more times. Same thing. After awhile I noticed that the scan would always freeze on the same file being scanned (C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll) I uninstalled MSE and installed AVAST to see if I'd get the same result which I did though I'm not sure if it stopped on the same file but it definitely froze while in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Tried it a couple more times with the same result.

I checked around online for similar issues and learned that it could be a hardware problem, specifically a HD problem. To eliminate a potential RAM problem I ran MemTest86+ overnight for 7 passes. No errors/problems. This morning I tried the CHKDSK utility on the SSD and it also froze on stage 4 and 17%. I tried again multiple times with the same result and freezing at the same point. Anticipating a OS reinstall I attempted to back up the SSD onto my HDD (using windows back up utility) and it also froze when reaching the point where the utility begins to do the actual back up of the SSD. Am I on the right track here? I'm not sure what else to try. Is this the beginning of a failing SSD or would OS reinstall solve the issue??

Other then what I've described the PC appears to operate without issue unless I attempt 1)Virus Scan 2)Run CHKDSK 3) Back Up SSD

Where do I go from here?

1. What is the specific model of motherboard being used?

Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3

2. What OS and AHCI driver are being used?

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit / Intel AHCI 10.5.0.1026

3. Is the drive configured as an OS drive or a data drive?

OS Drive

4. Do you have any spread spectrum clocking enabled?

Don't think this motherboard has spread spectrum option in BIOS

5. Do you have TRIM enabled?

Yes

6. Does your MOBO/BIOS allow you to enable and disable HOT SWAP or HOT PLUG on the drive controller?

No

Tried it twice. Both times it froze up at 24% in the same way as it did with the virus scan etc.

Also tried sfc /verifyonly with same result at 24%.

Would a format/OS reinstall potentially fix the problem or has the SSD developed a physical defect?

An internal secure erase with Parted Magic is your best bet. This will reset all the blocks on the drive and is a lot better than a format.

After the secure erase you can format and re-install, most likely your problem will be fixed. If it still doesn't work then you can RMA the drive at that point if you like.

I've checked into Parted Magic...it doesnt sound like the easiest tool to use. I boot my system from the Parted Magic disk right? 'Internal secure erase' then reinstall OS? I'm guessing a windows reformat won't cut it?

The competitor that starts with an O has a sandforce toolbox will let you do an SE easily. Backup your drive, Use the toolbox, select your drive in it, menu to security -> SE, then reboot. Your drive will be secure erased on the reboot. Caveat - you should not do this very often as it screws up the Sandforce wear-leveling Duraclass (which can throttle your write speed to achieve a longer life).

Don't know why corsair doesn't release this tool. It is about the only thing useful it can do.

The toolbox method you don't need a bootable disk. Just set it up in the wiindows toolbox and reboot worked for me. You will need to recreate the partition and quick format afterwords. Alas, your data will be gone.

Yeah you MUST backup your data using this method. As with any drive you should backup your data anyway. What if you had a general hard drive failure and you lose all your sensitive data?

Parted Magic is actually very easy to use.

Get ImgBurn, download the parted magic ISO, burn to CD, boot from CD, go to the "start menu" and select internal secure erase. The only problem you might encounter is if the drive is frozen by your BIOS but a hotswap will fix it. The secure erase takes only a second or two on these SSDs (literally). It will not have a confirmation screen saying that it worked unfortunately but you will know. A format simply will not cut it, you must perform a secure erase however you do it (parted magic, hdderase.exe or 3rd party toolboxes).

Parted Magic does have other useful tools, so you might use the bootable CD again. It is a pretty convenient program to have around.

Ok I'll give'er a shot when I have some time this week.

One question. If the drive IS indeed frozen by the BIOS you say a 'hotswap' will fix that. Do you mean a unplug and plug it again?

That's correct you should go to System Tools -> Erase Disk -> then select the last option "Internal Secure Erase"

It may ask you for a password just leave it as NULL. If it says the drive is frozen then unplug the drive and plug it back in.

Update

I completed the Internal Secure Erase yesterday and reinstalled Windows. Everything went off without a hitch. I completed a full virus scan last night without the pc freeze so everything seems ok. We'll see if the problem reoccurs. I'll be back if it does...

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was THIS! close to RMAing the drive.....

Update

I completed the Internal Secure Erase yesterday and reinstalled Windows. Everything went off without a hitch. I completed a full virus scan last night without the pc freeze so everything seems ok. We'll see if the problem reoccurs. I'll be back if it does...

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was THIS! close to RMAing the drive.....

Awesome, I'm glad it worked. Post back if you have any more problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I had simular frezzing and did the erase disk.

That's correct you should go to System Tools -> Erase Disk -> then select the last option "Internal Secure Erase"

It may ask you for a password just leave it as NULL. If it says the drive is frozen then unplug the drive and plug it back in.

at first i work fin but. after 5(ish) reboot i no long have access to it. my intel controler tells me it is lock. i have trydd NULL and other pw an i am unable to get the access back.

want to do????

• 2 months later...

I had this problem 2 months ago with my P3 256gig, secure erased, and it just started happening again... cloning my drive to a normal HDD with an external tool... then, I'm going to try the IRST LPM fix, to see if that does it, because the issue only happens in windows... that, and the P3 is slower (though more consistent speed-wise) than the ******** I upgraded from.

O.o

Archived