Corsair Community

No F180 SSD problems, anyone?

aln688

I've ordered a Corsair F180 (34nm version) SSD, while I don't see too much in the way of problems via Google, has anyone had any problems with this SSD? I see posts related to the other F-xxx drives (F100/F120), drives disappearing, BSOD, etc., and I'm hopeful (cautious) this won't happen with my F180 when it arrives. I'll be using it with an Asus Rampage II Gene X58 motherboard (latest 1501 BIOS) and the native ICH10R controller (non-RAID), custom system. Thank you.

For the most part all the drives in a series all possess similar characteristics (good and bad). Any possible differences are in speed and in capacity.

I have an F120 that originally did have BSOD problems, but after firmware 2.0 update and secure erase I haven't had a single problem.

If you just purchased a new Force series drive the first thing I would do is check the firmware version with CrystalDiskInfo. Most likely you already have the latest, 2.0, but I would just confirm.

My worry is, I've read a lot of posts, here included, about F120's, F60's & some F100's, suddenly not being recognized by the BIOS, or the drive will be blank all of a sudden. I'm hoping I don't experience this as my entire system while custom built, is 100% reliable - this would be the only questionable component on my system.

I've spent hours researching for problems with this specific drive, not much showed up, mainly problems with the F120 and F60. When the F180 arrives I'll install CrystalDiskInfo as you say and check the firmware version. I've got 12GB's of Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM and it's been solid, which is why I opted to go for their SSD product. I *almost* bought the Force 3, and glad I didn't.

Thanks for replying Synbios.

Just from reading around on the forums here I have found that for the most part the customers having problems with BIOS recognition are using laptops. Sometimes OEM systems have problems as well.

For whatever reason, the custom built systems (especially those with Asus boards) are those which have the least amount of problems with these drives. Perhaps it has to do with the type of system SandForce or Corsair were using for actual testing of the drive, who knows. My prediction though is that you won't have any problems.

Just from reading around on the forums here I have found that for the most part the customers having problems with BIOS recognition are using laptops. Sometimes OEM systems have problems as well.

For whatever reason, the custom built systems (especially those with Asus boards) are those which have the least amount of problems with these drives. Perhaps it has to do with the type of system SandForce or Corsair were using for actual testing of the drive, who knows. My prediction though is that you won't have any problems.

Thanks. I read that too, mainly Toshiba, Dell and HP laptops, and for desktops it was Dell OEM. There were a few that had problems with Apple machines, but you're correct, mostly laptop/desktop OEM. My machine was custom built, Asus X58 mATX board, Core i7 920, NVidia GPU, Corsair 6 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM. I don't use RAID, this F180 is a replacement for a VelociRaptor 150GB.

Different question. If I find a review (or a couple of reviews) which benchmark the F120 and find it to be fast (seq. access writes > 200MB/s), would I be right in saying the F180 would be faster? I've noticed larger capacity drives seem to state larger transfer speeds. I bought the F180 as I didn't think the F120 would be large enough.

F120 and F60 are older, therefore more have been sold. Also, you'll generally ONLY see posts with issues on support forums. No one comes here to say "works!".

Yes, you're right, and I know that. The lack of "problem with my F180" posts is giving me confidence to open it! It's just if you read around certain online retailers, reading the reviews can be a scary experience.

---

I meant to say, I think it's great Corsair provides a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, and not only that, but an adapter that aligns the drive in such a way that the data/power connectors mirror a real 3.5" drive. FYI, the drive arrived today, I'm resisting opening it until I do a little more research.

With some SSD controllers, the size of the drive has a huge impact on its speed, for example the Performance 3 drives.

However SandForce does a great job of maintaining the same speeds for almost all capacities so there will be little to no difference between the F120 and F180.

With some SSD controllers, the size of the drive has a huge impact on its speed, for example the Performance 3 drives.

However SandForce does a great job of maintaining the same speeds for almost all capacities so there will be little to no difference between the F120 and F180.

Thanks. What kind of read speeds are you seeing with your F120? Am I right in saying you have an X58 chipset? I have X58 in my Asus Rampage II Gene.

Actually I have an Intel 5500 chipset. I am pretty much getting advertised speeds.

The image on the left is with firmware 1.0 and the one on the right is 2.0. It looks like 2.0 was a little slower but that could be due to more drive use (because it was taken at a later date) and also testing variability. Overall I have been very happy with the drive though. I've had this since about July or August of last year. I haven't benchmarked it recently but I heard excessive benchmarking is bad so I haven't bothered, it still feels as snappy as day 1 so I haven't found a need to. The 2.0 benchmark was taken in november.

I posted my benchmarks here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=474356&postcount=25

Nice! Ah yes, the Xeon chipset, which uses the same 3Gb/s SATA connection as my board. I see firmware V2.0 is slightly slower, but in actual use probably never noticed. Other than the BSOD/sleep problem which I assume is completely gone away, any other problems with your F120?

I haven't had any BSOD or crashed for a very long time (more than 8 months). It has been 100% rock stable since firmware 2.0. Though yes, the benchmarks show a very slight decrease but that could be do to other factors as I mentioned.

No complaints here.

Many thanks. Just curious, have you ever tried an "incompressible" benchmark, such as AS SSD? I read the other day that SandForce controllers don't like pre-compressed data, as say, compared to a Marvell controller which doesn't care if data is compressed or not.

Archived