Corsair Community

TX850 fan running after shutdown

alarinn

I just noticed tonight that my PSU fan still runs after the system has shutdown. Is this normal? The exit air vent feels a bit hot. It's in a room that runs 78F. I put the system together 3 months ago. I don't recall seeing this happen before.

From searching the forum it appears that these PSUs spin briefly after shutdown to properly cool down the PSU. I did hear a fan spinning up and then down all day and thought it was my videocard, but GPUz never registered it, so I think it was the PSU. It was hotter than I would expect in a room that's upper 70s, so I will keep an eye (or ear) on it.

Turned on the pc this morning and the PSU was not spinning. That means the PSU is faulty or does the fan spin depending on heat and load? I noticed that these PSUs don't have a separate fan speed connector to the motherboard. Who controls the fan - PSU or motherboard?

Another question before I think about getting an RMA together today. I have a power dongle that I use to prime my water loop outside of the case. Would using that tell me if the fan is bad or not? I'm at work and I'm about to head home for lunch. In every PSU I've ever had, using this dongle spinned up the PSU fan. That way I can isolate the PSU from the motherboard. How I wished I had gone with modular:-)

Yes, it's a temp controlled fan. Not sure if it spins right after it's powered or not.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/enthusiast-series-1/tx850w.html

Thanks for the info. I have a 650TX laying around as a backup and I was able to get the fan to spin up using my power supply dongle. The 850TX did not spin up. Going to RMA and use the 650 until then. I'll go ahead and set everything back to stock since 650 is cutting it close. Strange that the 850 didn't last long. Only 2nd PSU to fail on me and the other was an OCZ 500. Too bad I couldn't RMA this back for a modular version; I'd even pay the difference.

Archived