Corsair Community

wondering whether to get 8gb or 16gb of dominator gt (will it run at stated speed?)

j4mi3

hi guys, before anyone asks, if i had the 16gb, i would utilise the space, trust me. But whether i go for it or not is a different question (i dont need it for my job or anything, its something else :P)

basically, what is stopping me atm from getting 16gb is if it will actually run at the stated speed. This is because i am getting 2 8gb kits of the following:

CMT8GX3M2A2000C9

I am wondering if i will have to lower the timings or frequency, which is something i dont really want to do, because part of the fun of having such good ram which i have heard the gt's are is to have them blisteringly fast. whats more, i love overclocking, so would i even be able to do this when i have 16gb?

for my build i am getting an asus p8p67 pro motherboard. Would these be compatible with this motherboard, and would this allow them to run at the stated speed, and even possibly allow headroom for overclocking?

if i would have to run them slower i might look into getting some lower latency 1866mhz memory, made up of a 4x2gb kit

thanks for any replies. I didnt see the point in listing my current system specs as this will be a new build for me.

however i also have another question, my cpu cooler will be either a noctua nh-d14 or a corsair h70. I know you might be biased to the corsair obviously, but seeing as i might already be purchasing £300 of ram, please can i have some hnest opinions on which would be better? Also, will the ram be too tall for the cooler?

It's never recommended to mix kits. You'll most likely have to lower the memory speed to attempt stability.

CML16GX3M4A1600C9B would be a good fit. Low voltage, compatible, and not tall. JUST got announced though, but it'll be available sometime this month according to the press release.

Note: B at the end = Blue. There's also a black version: CML16GX3M4A1600C9.

im sure the dominators would be fine i was i think wrong about them not fitting. I dont really want to go to 1600mhz though.

the 8gb kit i linked here, http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=CMT8GX3M2A2000C9&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14502406897277442055&sa=X&ei=QOnoTe7yAo6yhAegu7iPDA&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAw

this will obviously run at the specified 2000mhz with those latencies, why would purchasing two of these same kits not be advisable?

And how much do you think i would have to lower the frequency by if i got two of these kits.

I know frequency isnt all that important in gaming, but thats not really what i do. I have seen various 'real world' benchmarks where it does in fact make a difference, perhaps not a considerable one, but when im upgrading a lot of parts on my system i want the best i can possibly get.

• Corsair Employees

We do not suggest mixing sets because there is no way to guarantee they will work together unless they are tested together, if you want 4 modules set you should buy as a 8 or 16 GIG set that is sold and tested as one set.

But if you do mix two sets you may have to run them at DDR1333-DDR1866 depending on the CPU and MB you use them in.

ok then, well how likely is it that they will not work together if i were to buy identical sets, with an i7 2600k and an asus p8p67 pro. I know alot of people do what im proposing so it can't be that likely surely

Archived