Corsair Community

Cmz6gx3m3a1600c8

Zipperbag

Hello,

First off, I want to clear the air that Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to Ram...

I recently rebuilt my System, or maybe I should say in the process. The biggest point is I havnt decided on video yet.

So anyway my question is in reguards to the tri-channel kit I purchased. It appeared from what I have read that this Ram was near perfect. I believe the biggest selling point to me was the idea that I most likely had room to lower latency, via more juice.

Yet to make any of the future changes though, you see my system runs good, but I cant say the same attempting to play Bad Company 2. There is countless posts reguarding various issues for the game. Ive run a memory test and also 3DMark Vantage that somewhat leads me to believe this is acceptable Ram. (newer Ram so I didnt believe it would be tested for Vendors list). Besides were talking my Corsair!

Currently Im using XMP profile 1 with all settings at Auto (Gigabyte forum had originally stated that should be all that is needed) I believe I have tried most all there is to try in reguards to turning off any energy saving, disabling C1E, etc.

I have a new HD, and also my older card is Overclocked. This morning I loaded up a different game and was kicked to desktop (error about Win Aero). I quickly changed to a basic theme. The other game isnt just an error though, its an actual stop/BSOD, 124. However I do recall the error ATI Driver has stopped responding and needed to be reset, while using Vista (plus Im using the latest ATI driver) This leads me to believe its perhaps the card.

But I did get a BSOD following a reset that mentioned memory (which is why Im posting)

What do you Gurus believe? Now I did see another post reguarding a larger kit, with advice to up the voltage. If applicable, I would really appreciate some real specific numbers. (to type in and where)

I guess theres a chance the issue could be related to the QPI/VTT voltage...

• Corsair Employees

So are you having a problem, or these are just questions you got off of someone else post on a forum somewhere?

But all you should have to do with one set of these modules installed is to load setup defaults and then enable XMP 1 and it should set everything for you.

Hello,

First off, I want to clear the air that Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to Ram...

I recently rebuilt my System, or maybe I should say in the process. The biggest point is I havnt decided on video yet.

So anyway my question is in reguards to the tri-channel kit I purchased. It appeared from what I have read that this Ram was near perfect. I believe the biggest selling point to me was the idea that I most likely had room to lower latency, via more juice.

Yet to make any of the future changes though, you see my system runs good, but I cant say the same attempting to play Bad Company 2. There is countless posts reguarding various issues for the game. Ive run a memory test and also 3DMark Vantage that somewhat leads me to believe this is acceptable Ram. (newer Ram so I didnt believe it would be tested for Vendors list). Besides were talking my Corsair!

Currently Im using XMP profile 1 with all settings at Auto (Gigabyte forum had originally stated that should be all that is needed) I believe I have tried most all there is to try in reguards to turning off any energy saving, disabling C1E, etc.

I have a new HD, and also my older card is Overclocked. This morning I loaded up a different game and was kicked to desktop (error about Win Aero). I quickly changed to a basic theme. The other game isnt just an error though, its an actual stop/BSOD, 124. However I do recall the error ATI Driver has stopped responding and needed to be reset, while using Vista (plus Im using the latest ATI driver) This leads me to believe its perhaps the card.

But I did get a BSOD following a reset that mentioned memory (which is why Im posting)

What do you Gurus believe? Now I did see another post reguarding a larger kit, with advice to up the voltage. If applicable, I would really appreciate some real specific numbers. (to type in and where)

I guess theres a chance the issue could be related to the QPI/VTT voltage...

With that processor you need to use whichever profile sets the vtt to 1.35.

Reading through his symptoms and a quick google of the error code, this sounds more like a driver issue than anything else. The error about Aero is nothing to worry about , it's just saying that the color scheme is not compatible with what your games run and will revert back when you close out your game. I get this with LOTRO all the time. And since you said ATI driver quits responding i would look there. If the problems started after a driver update, try reverting back to one you know worked fine. There are plenty of instances where new drivers cause more problems than the previous version.

It is also a possiblitity that somewhere down the line your registry has become corrupt leading you to all of the above symptoms.

Honestly the first thing i would try is removing your old ATI drivers and make sure you use a driver cleaner before you install the new ones to get rid of any remnants of old driver bits. Then install the new ones.

If that doesn't work i would think about reinstalling your OS if all of the above problems persist.

Since you were able to run a RAM test and Prime, i really dont think you have a RAM problem

With that processor you need to use whichever profile sets the vtt to 1.35.

XMP should do that for him with out having to do it manually. But check your BIOS to be sure.

But as RG stated it should be profile 1.

profile 1 sets the qpi/vtt to 1.35 On my last attempt, I used profile 2 (1.1) with ram at 1.64, and still got a BSOD in game. (seen on another post something about using 1.65v)

So, I guess my question is, do you believe this isnt a ram issue with profile 1 selected? Most all attempts were actually using profile 1.

I also tried running with XMP off, @ 1066 I believe it deafulted and still got the same BSOD (124)

btw I appreciate any help/feedback

p.s. Should I try setting ram at 1.66 and QPI at 1.3 or 1.4? I believe the error is incorrect QPI/VTT related

Profile 1's voltage is correct. You can try 1.65 if you like but i dont think it will make much difference. Some boards actually miss out on the 1.65v mark and only offer increases in .2 increments. Meaning you can choose 1.64 or 1.66v. But your board may allow you to use 1.65v.I also would go over 1.35 ve on the VTT either. You should not need it. But again it's your board so if you want to experiment please do so. To rule out the ram as your problem run each stick through memtest 4.2 ONE stick at a time . (link is on the left)Load setup defaults and enable XMP profile 1 and disable Legacy USB Support in your BIOS before testing. Let the run 4 passes each or until you get an error and then report back with your findings.

Also since you are still getting BS's even at 1066mhz in games i really think your problems lie elsewhere. Do you have another video card you could swap out or borrow to tes5t with.

I dont have another video card just yet, that's fast enough (have a 1650 Pro in my older comp)

Ritaylor, thank you for the heads-up!

peanutz94, I'm in agrement that it probably isnt the ram. It's just something that seemed to make sense to ask about. X amt on a new card, would make a new ram purchase questionable.

Im going to try an older driver for now, and if needed acquire a new card,before reinstalling OS. I know right from the start I could change to ACHI or actually purchase another HD to run Raid (right now its setup for extreme HD which allows me to add a HD for Raid at a later date) Other than that I did work til complete and was a bit tired, so its possible a mistake was made. I know I hadnt planned to use my PS2 keyboard, USB keyboard wasnt happening. I also downloaded some of the gigbyte (updated) drivers as opposed to just installing from disk.

P.S. Ramguy, I did try defaults earlier (had an issue with controller, didnt stay set at Raid) fwiw heres my actual BSOD: 0x00000124 followed by a long 0x000000000, and 0xfffffa80081cf028, 0x00000000b6000000, 0x0000000000200001

Thanx all for the input!

profile 1 sets the qpi/vtt to 1.35 On my last attempt, I used profile 2 (1.1) with ram at 1.64, and still got a BSOD in game. (seen on another post something about using 1.65v)

So, I guess my question is, do you believe this isnt a ram issue with profile 1 selected? Most all attempts were actually using profile 1.

I also tried running with XMP off, @ 1066 I believe it deafulted and still got the same BSOD (124)

btw I appreciate any help/feedback

p.s. Should I try setting ram at 1.66 and QPI at 1.3 or 1.4? I believe the error is incorrect QPI/VTT related

BSOD 124 is usually VTT. Generally too low. But as you already have 1.35 (Intel's max) I agree you should look elsewhere.

Once again thank you for assistance! Im almost certain issue is solved, basically I manually set my graphics card fan to run at a specific speed (Board or some sensor nearby may not have liked my card pushing @ 65-70C w fan not even turning) or it was changing what programs start-up at boot

Anyway Ram is at profile 1 (auto) and game been rocking for sometime now!

Also RAM GUY, any chance Corsair comming out with a (thin but sturdy) 20cm performance fan, maybe with slotting (drill holes) to configure to different size screw spacing?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but I doubt it, however search the internet I am sure you will find something, of if you have a fry's electronics close to you try them they have almost everything you can imagine and a few things you never thought of.

Archived