Corsair Community

Sandybridge Overclocked Temps with H70/H60

Blacked Out

Hey guys,

This is my first post as I will be purchasing a new system next week, and this one last thing is bugging me.

I have purchased 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850RPM) fans in anticipation of my Corsair H-Series cooler - but I'm having second thoguhts about the H70.

The main reason I'm building this rig is for university later this year - the H-Coolers are great for portability + decent performance.:biggrin:

The H60 appears to be a better option for me, but I think It might struggle with my desired overclock (i5-2500K @ 4.5) even with my paste and aftermarket fans. I really don't want to exceed 70 degrees, i'm certain the H70 can do this but I dont know about the H60.:sigh!:

In Short: If anyone could post their temps under load, overclock speed and cooling setup (H70/Push/Pull/Exhaust), it would be greatly appreciated.

35-39 Degs at idle i7 2600k @4.5 gig. Prime will run it up to around 70 but have not seen anything over 60 on a normal gaming setup( Crysis).

H70 set up intake with with 3rd part PWM fans on a Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard.

Room temps between 72 and 74 F

• Corsair Employees
Also the MB and CPU Core you have will have an impact on the CPU Temp but I would suspect you would get the same performance with the H-70 or H-60 especially since you plan to use other fans, just make sure these fan will have a CFM of about 70-74 and you should be fine, if not I would stick with the stock fans. I would expect the CPU to be between 25-35 C at idle and 50-70C at Max load with this configuration.

On the image I show my actual temps have an OC'ed 2500k at 4Ghz folding and another GPU client on the GTX570 at 850/1700Mhz GPU and my temps are really nice. Actual room temperature is 23ºC.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8642/actualtemps.th.jpg

My cooler is the H60 and what should be a handicap (is installed as 'pull' on the rear exhaust hole of my chassis) isn't so much looking at the temps.

Case type makes a very large difference on cooling. My case is a Define R3 and this is the setup of fans:

- 2 front fans (stock ones from fractal) pulling air to IN.

- 1 rear fan (from the H60) pulling air OUT.

No more fans (well.. unless you count the one from the graphics card) who throws air out thru the bracket.

Temps really nice, but trying to improve them. Have some Noiseblocker PWM fans here just for testing and benching thru my own actual temps as baseline.

Noiseblocker fans specs here: http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/BlackSilent120.php

Hi Corse-r I just joined because I'm about to build a system very similar. An H60 cooling a 2600k in a define R3.

If there are any tips you could offer me as to installing the H60 I'd really appreciate. Sounds like it's working pretty well for you.

I'll send you a PM as well. thanks

Dave

Hi Corse-r I just joined because I'm about to build a system very similar. An H60 cooling a 2600k in a define R3.

If there are any tips you could offer me as to installing the H60 I'd really appreciate. Sounds like it's working pretty well for you.

I'll send you a PM as well. thanks

Dave

Replied you. Contact me if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Oc'd to 4.8 with 1.415 v-core running the stock fan pulling air into case. Corsair 600t white special edition stock 200mm intake, 200mm exhaust H60 cooler

Prime95 8 threads on the high heat setting and my average never breaks 70. Ambient temp here is mid 70's (I love Oregon). I will be trying an extra fan tomorrow or the next day probably to see if I get the 4-5 degree gains people are claiming. Although I am not entirely sure it will be worth the extra fan taking up space and the noise. I am sure in other area's of the us it would be nice to have a bit more.

I personally don't see a justification for the extra cash between h60 to h70 when you can get a good fan and run the similar push/pull set-up on the h60 radiator and get comparable temps.

Agree elrui :) My H60 got the 2600k (4.4mhz) to idle around 30C around 36-38C encoding video. Prime 95 torture test puts it up to 61C .

It's pretty cool here lately too - June gloom :) And I didn't like the noise of the stock fan so I replaced it with Akasa Apache black which only has 57cfm but is very quiet.

Though the Akasa fan doesn't move the air that Corsair recommends, my temps haven't gone up, not to speak of anyway. Should it get too warm in the summer, I'll probably add another Akasa to the inside.

Dave

Archived