Corsair Community

Cannot get Linx stable even underclocked my RAM to 1600 C10

Bigu

Dear all,

I am using Corsair's Vengeance 4GB x4, 1866 9-10-9-27-2T. My issue here is I could not get the system stable when running Linx -- error appears as early as 2nd or 3rd round. I'd like to seek advice or direction should fine tuning be necessary.

I am a medium overclocker, never use water cooling or LN2, previously OC'ed E6600 (3.2G), E8400 (3.6G), Q9450 (3.6G), i7 920 (3.8G). I care about Linx because my 2-year old i7 920 @3.8GHz using 3x2G Corsair Dominator RAM can 'easily' pass 100 rounds on Linx (tried yesterday), and this rig didnt have a minor hiccup since day 1 (May 2009), so I trust Linx as an important stability gatekeeper as it does thoroughly stress CPU and RAM (maybe I am too conservative).

My overclock on this 2600K is 4.6Ghz. I can pass memtest86+ (10 passes in 14+ hours no error), HCI memtest in Win7 (8 instances, 200%+ coverage no error), Hyper PI (32M 8 threads no error), Prime95 Blend test (12hours no error), Prime95 small fft (24 hours no error). But failed on Linx (utilizing All RAM).

Then, I underclocked the RAM to 1600MHz and loosen timings to 10-11-10-30-2T (others Auto), versus XMP at 1866, 9-10-9-27-2T. Also tried raising Vcore from 1.38 to 1.40V -- didnt help. Tested VCCIO at 1.035, 1.05, 1.1, 1.15 and 1.2V neither worked -- all with underclocked RAM, and Linx failed within 2-15 rounds. Throughout, Vdimm at 1.52V (slightly up because Auto yields 1.48V only). All other voltages at Auto. My temperature peaked at 89-91C when I was at 1.40 Vcore and 1.2V Vccio so I dont want to get further on Voltage (this will be my daily PC, average 8 hours of usage per day).

My guess is, since I can pass Prime95's small-fft CPU-intensive test for 24hrs, the Linx error will likely be RAM-related, probably CPU's IMC cannot handle 4 sticks of RAM at my current settings.

May I check if experts can share their experience here on putting 4 sticks in a reasonably overclocked system -- any particular tuning that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance

Bigu

• Corsair Employees
Please install the modules in matching sets IE one set that matches in slots A1 & B1 and the other matching set in slots A2 and B2 then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults, then enable XMP and test the system with out over clocking the CPU and see if its stable.

Thanks RAM GUY. Understood the rationale is to make sure the 2 sets "match", at least under default settings. In fact, I did exactly the same but only with 2 passes of memtest and 1hr of prime95, when I first set up my rig -- just dont have the patience and jumped to OC settings.

Nonetheless, will follow your instructions and come back with an update.

Thanks again.

B.

Archived