Corsair Community

AX750 - 12V rail issue

ktf

Hi all,

I have the PC from system specs and a Corsair AX750 PSU. I upgraded to Sandy Bridge recently and I noticed 2 issues :

1. if I launch Folding @home , the GPU client, which takes 100% GPU power, the PSU is making a rather annoying noise.

2. I was checking some temperatures today and I noticed something about the 12V rail , it reads 9V. Am I using the wrong tool to read that or is there an issue with the PSU ?

sursa_12V.thumb.jpg.a6eb8ec0ed838520521c185d207702c5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

don't be so sure the reading is wrong !

sure it's a little off (I can also see the 5V as 5.88V) but I would consider a problem with the PSU 12V.

It is exactly the situation i had - my 12V was slowly decaying over time until it reached a value where the PC couldn't work properly anymore.

So, if you can use a digital multimeter measure it and if it's out of 5% tolerance RMA it instantly (check the 5V as well while you're at it).

If you can't then use the BIOS hardware monitor and see if the same critical low value on 12V.

If in BIOS you see it in the 5% tolerance then the software is wrong (also check the 5V in BIOS too).

If BIOS is showing a value that is out of the 5% tolerance (11.4 - 12.6V is good) then remove the optic unit(s) and any additional HDD and reboot again and check the values for any changes.

If yes, RMA it instantly :)

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using the MB BIOS and as suggested a Digital VOM Meter to check the voltages but software like this is notorious for needing calibration before the results can be trusted. Not saying they are wrong or wright just need to verify what its reporting.

Hi all,

I have the PC from system specs and a Corsair AX750 PSU. I upgraded to Sandy Bridge recently and I noticed 2 issues :

1. if I launch Folding @home , the GPU client, which takes 100% GPU power, the PSU is making a rather annoying noise.

2. I was checking some temperatures today and I noticed something about the 12V rail , it reads 9V. Am I using the wrong tool to read that or is there an issue with the PSU ?

The 12v reading is wrong. At 9v, the system would not be running. This not to say that you don't have an issue but, you cannot base it the software readings.

Also, see if you can listen closely with your side panel off. In some cases, GPU noise will sound as if it's coming from the PSU.

Archived