Corsair Community

Asus P8Z68-V Pro and Memory

sassfire

Hi All,

I purchased a 2600k CPU, an Asus P8Z68-V PRO with Dominator memory (cmp8gx3m2a1600c9) as per the recommendation of the store. However, after overclocking my system slightly, my system always hangs when running prime95 for a couple of minutes. I installed some cheap memory, and the system overclocks fine.

When I go back to the store they say it is not the memory. I cannot use your memory configurator because my motherboard is still not listed, so I chose the MB’s brother P8P67 and it lists the following.

Enthusiast= CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Overclocker= CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Highest Density= CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

Another place on your site lists

Intel Core i7 2600K

2600K w/ Dominator GT — CMT4GX3M2B2133C9

2600K w/ Vengeance — CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

2600K w/ Dominator GT — CMT8GX3M4A1866C9

2600K w/ Vengeance — CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

2600K w/ Vengeance — CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

My goal is to overclock the system, but nothing too crazy, but as it currently stands, I cannot even achieve 4.3. I had narrowed down my choices to CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9, CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 or CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 because I did not think GT memory was necessary. It is not $25-30 that will break my budget, I just do not want to buy the wrong memory again and want a very reliable system. The main use of my computer is photo editing and some video editing (secondary).

Can you please suggest what you would think is best with an explanation.

My second problem is that I cannot find any store that carries Vengeance memory in stock, they only have Dominator (probably why the store pushed it on me) and say that Vengeance memory is not as good. From everything I read, it seems to be the opposite when it comes to Sandybridge.

Thank you,

I finally bought the memory based on your suggestion and it works great. Thank you.

My bro is now buying the same system like mine P8z68 but want to overclock like crazy (on air only), would you still suggest the same ram or something else.

Lastly, what is the difference between Enthusiast= CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 and Overclocker= CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8. I am not just asking about the memory but also the words?

Yes, but which would be better for overclocking a system. I have read a lot on the forums but am still confused between speed (1600 vs 1866) and latency (7 vs 8 vs 9).

I was recommended to use 1866 if I was to overclock a bit. I am just not sure what is meant by a bit.

• Corsair Employees

Its a hard question to answer because it depends on some variables. There is no yes or no answer to this question.

I am sorry but you really need to know what you are trying to reach; the fastest or highest frequency or tightest timings!

To be honest, I do not really know what I am tring to acheive (ha ha). When I had my Sabertooth P67 motherboard I overclocked it simply through Intel tuning and that was enough for me.

Now that I changed my system to a P8Z68, when I tried to overclock through the Asus software, my system always crashed when running Prime95. I narrowed down the problem to using the wrong memory Corsair Dominator 1600 1.65 which is not supported on my board. Now, I am trying to figure out what to replace it with.

I am not saying that Corsair Dominator is not good memory, I know it is excellent memory, just not for my board.

So I do not know if I answered your question. All I can say, is that I am starting to learn how to overclock and want a memory that will allow me to do this while being stable.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Corsair Employees
I would probably suggest using our CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 because they will likely support higher timings at a higher frequency but you would just have to test. However all we can promise would be the tested settings

Hi,

I thought that the memory fixed my problem (cmz8gx3m2a1600c8), but when I run memtest+, I always get errors when running at 1600, the system is not overclocked at this point and running all the default setings.

Is this normal?

Ok, long story short, my memory was defective. Not a problem because the store verified it and exchanged it. However.... they had no C8 in stock and had to give me C9 which was more expensive but did not charge me the difference.

They agreed that I could come back and exchange it on when they had the C8 in stock, however, the store is very far for me and the only reason I would go back would be if you told be to do so.

My system is currently overclocked to about 4750, stable in Prime95 for 4hrs at this point. Should I go back??

• Corsair Employees
Well that is your choice but for me I normally don't like to break something that is not broke if you know what I mean. But I cant blame you if you do; not one tiny weeny bit.

Q1. So I will take it that the difference between C8 and C9 wont make a big enough difference in the real world or affect my overclocking.

Q2. I have also read that some kits are better than other kits even when they are the same model from the same company, is this true?

Last question, what is the real difference between C8 and C9, I am trying to figure out why a company would produce both when there is only a small price difference, I would expect that the packaging and marketing costs alone would not justify this.

So for all the question but I just got off my 13hour shift.

You have been so helpful again thank you!

• Corsair Employees

Well no but I would need some reference to know what you are talking about for question 2 and the difference for Cas 8 and Cas 9 is about 2-6% in a memory bench mark. Using the system I doubt you would see much difference.

The biggest difference is the extra screening it takes to make and produce a Cas 8 part and some IC's are naturally faster then other IC's (kinda relates to question 2) but the biggest difference would be if you are an extreme over-clocker then you would want the extra margin that faster IC's would offer and allow more choices for over clocking. But most people just want the best no matter what and that is part of it as well.

I have read that some kits ie cmz8gx3m2a1600c8, out preform other cmz8gx3m2a1600c8 kits on the exact same system, with the exact same settings. I am not saying that this is true but was wondering if it was possible. Would this be due to the fact that some IC's are naturally faster then other IC's

But most people just want the best no matter what and that is part of it as well.

But what is considered the best for overclocking, CAD and games? C8 or C9?

Does C8 run hotter than the C9 due to the faster timing?

• Corsair Employees

I have really answered this in my previous reply. So yes as I hinted here that is possible to one set of modules may have a slightly better yield than another set of the same part but it would nominal.

The biggest difference is the extra screening it takes to make and produce a Cas 8 part and some IC's are naturally faster then other IC's (kinda relates to question 2) but the biggest difference would be if you are an extreme over-clocker then you would want the extra margin that faster IC's would offer and allow more choices for over clocking. But most people just want the best no matter what and that is part of it as well.

And there is no yes/no or right/wrong answer because there are too many variables, but for the most part; not always but most cases.

Higher frequency Higher latency memory seems to show better promise on Intel platforms and tighter timings with lower frequency seems to be better for AMD. Cas 8 vs Cas 9 is like do you like milk or coffee with your breakfast?

Well I guess it depends on if you having eggs or Cereal.

Each MB and Chipset will react differently on one MB and CPU the Cas 8 may shine on another configuration the Cas 9 may show more over all performance. But the theoretical difference is about 2-6% which I think I have already stated.

Archived