Corsair Community

Discuss the new Hydro Series coolers: the H80 and H100 (Link enabled)

Wired

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anybody at Corsair answer my question about the H100's undersized Corsair Link Commander control panel? I just checked and found that none of the cases I still own have a 3 1/2" bay to hold it. I no longer own a floppy drive and my flash-card reader uses an external usb port.

It would be a shame to have to pass on this item because of incompatability with almost all of today's modern computer cases. Especially the ones that Corsair produces!

Yes, a bay could be modded but then I'd just install a single water-cooling loop for my cpu.

Um, isn't the Corsair Link Commander a completely separate optional product that works with the H100 and H80 but doesn't come with them? And isn't the Link Commander just a component of a fan/led controller and temp monitor? Why would you talk about passing on a controller and buying a water cooling loop? And, doesn't the Link Commander mount in any 3.5" hard drive bay? Why would you think it had to be in a floppy drive bay? I don't think it has a display or anything so I don't think it needs a floppy drive bay. However if it did, lots of websites have 3.5" to 5.25" bay converters. What "incompatibility" are you referring to?

Um, isn't the Corsair Link Commander a completely separate optional product that works with the H100 and H80 but doesn't come with them? And isn't the Link Commander just a component of a fan/led controller and temp monitor? Why would you talk about passing on a controller and buying a water cooling loop? And, doesn't the Link Commander mount in any 3.5" hard drive bay? Why would you think it had to be in a floppy drive bay? I don't think it has a display or anything so I don't think it needs a floppy drive bay. However if it did, lots of websites have 3.5" to 5.25" bay converters. What "incompatibility" are you referring to?

"Um," did you not bother to read my original post? If not, then here it is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY

"All of our Obsidian and Graphite cases will support any of our coolers even the H100."

(My question for The RAM GUY); "But, since the Corsair Link Commander fits in a 3.5" bay, where to put it in my 700D? Will there be a conversion included to put it in one of my 4 empty 5 1/4" bays?" Unquote.

If a product is compatible with a specific case, i.e., "my 700D", then why would it possibly need a conversion kit?

It's more than a little obvious that Corsair did not take into account that practically all new cases, including their own, preclude 3.5" bays since the demise of floppy drives and the current widespread use of external flash card readers. In a way, you have confirmed that Corsair will sell these 3.5" to 5.25" conversion kits so that people may use this device in their modern cases.

I would actually much rather believe that this was just a slight oversight by the persons who designed this device because I both like and respect Corsair and do not actually believe that they would consciously do such a greedy thing as producing a device that would require the consumer to buy a conversion kit when every single computer case manufactured these days has at least one 5.25" empty bay and usually two or more.

"Why would you talk about passing on a controller and buying a water cooling loop?" I own every single part I need to build several complete water-cooling loops. Pumps, reservoirs, tubing and fittings and some of the cpu waterblocks and have waterblocks on almost every one of my video-cards.

I want to use this Corsair H100 with the Corsair Link Commander because my new video-card does not need a waterblock. The video-card I'm using is an ASUS MATRIX GTX580 Platinum ROG and is specifically made to not need any other cooling system than its own air-cooled system for extreme overclocking. I beg you to allow me the luxury of not having to install a complete watercooling loop along with its constant maintennance to support just a cpu. For once, I just want a rather simple build but with the highest performing components I can get away with, without going whole-hog on the cooling system. A Corsair H100 with its Link Commander module is the perfect solution for my personal build. With the Link Commander I wouldn't even have to install a separate fan-controller, of which I own 4, and could do without the hassle of having to wire it when I could just plug the fans into the headers of the Link Commander and control them with its included software. I'll be using 4 fans on the H100 instead of just 2 and I'll be adjusting the speed of the fans depending on the overclock I may be running at any certain time so I may run them as quietly as possible since my video-card runs almost silent at it highest overclock.

That's why the Link Commander should be manufactured to fit a 5.25" bay and not an obsolete bay such as one that is 3.5".

Any further questions?

Quote:

"All of our Obsidian and Graphite cases will support any of our coolers even the H100."

(My question for The RAM GUY); "But, since the Corsair Link Commander fits in a 3.5" bay, where to put it in my 700D? Will there be a conversion included to put it in one of my 4 empty 5 1/4" bays?" Unquote.

If a product is compatible with a specific case, i.e., "my 700D", then why would it possibly need a conversion kit?

It's more than a little obvious that Corsair did not take into account that practically all new cases, including their own, preclude 3.5" bays since the demise of floppy drives and the current widespread use of external flash card readers. In a way, you have confirmed that Corsair will sell these 3.5" to 5.25" conversion kits so that people may use this device in their modern cases.

I would actually much rather believe that this was just a slight oversight by the persons who designed this device because I both like and respect Corsair and do not actually believe that they would consciously do such a greedy thing as producing a device that would require the consumer to buy a conversion kit when every single computer case manufactured these days has at least one 5.25" empty bay and usually two or more.

"Why would you talk about passing on a controller and buying a water cooling loop?" I own every single part I need to build several complete water-cooling loops. Pumps, reservoirs, tubing and fittings and some of the cpu waterblocks and have waterblocks on almost every one of my video-cards.

I want to use this Corsair H100 with the Corsair Link Commander because my new video-card does not need a waterblock. The video-card I'm using is an ASUS MATRIX GTX580 Platinum ROG and is specifically made to not need any other cooling system than its own air-cooled system for extreme overclocking. I beg you to allow me the luxury of not having to install a complete watercooling loop along with its constant maintennance to support just a cpu. For once, I just want a rather simple build but with the highest performing components I can get away with, without going whole-hog on the cooling system. A Corsair H100 with its Link Commander module is the perfect solution for my personal build. With the Link Commander I wouldn't even have to install a separate fan-controller, of which I own 4, and could do without the hassle of having to wire it when I could just plug the fans into the headers of the Link Commander and control them with its included software. I'll be using 4 fans on the H100 instead of just 2 and I'll be adjusting the speed of the fans depending on the overclock I may be running at any certain time so I may run them as quietly as possible since my video-card runs almost silent at it highest overclock.

That's why the Link Commander should be manufactured to fit a 5.25" bay and not an obsolete bay such as one that is 3.5".

Any further questions?

LOL, Man people sure get worked up over nothing. The Corsair link Commander Module, from what I had read and seen, is an internal box. Ment to fit in one of the many 3.5in HDD drive bays. The same bays that normal 3.5in INTERNAL Hard drives fit into. Like the 6 bays you have for your 700D, or my 600T, or in almost every single computer case out there... Its not an external facing device like a dvd drive or floppy drive.

Check out Corsair's on FAQ on it.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/ten-questions-about-corsair-link

I've already read that. If it were as you say, then every single time I need to change the profile to Gaming or some other type of seting then I would have to open the case to access the controls?

That would be just fine, if, the unit were completely controlled by a software interface.

The only thing I'm slightly "worked up" about is the fact that a Corsair representative who knows about this device hasn't answered my questions, instead of someone, like both you and me, that have never even seen this thing in person. All either of us have seen are pictures and press releases and making assumptions instead of citing facts.

AFAIK there are no hardware controls.

http://www.corsair.com/corsair-link/corsair-link-kits/corsair-link-cooling-kit.html

Corsair Link marks an end to the days of case fans, component fans and case lighting that must be managed manually with hardware switches and dials, while simultaneously offering more advanced control and expansion options than motherboard BIOS settings. Everything is available on your screen with a software interface that’s advanced, intuitive, and fun to use.

Quote:

Yeah, I did read your first post. THAT'S what's so confusing.

1. You seem to be under the impression that new computer cases do not have any 3.5" drive bays when this is completely untrue.

Every hard drive bay is 3.5".

Even my 600T has six 3.5" hard drive bays. AND, those bays will also accommodate 2.5" devices if required.

2. The Link Commander is not a cooler. To quote RAM GUY "All of our Obsidian and Graphite cases will support any of our coolers even the H100."

What he said is 100% true since the Link Commander is not a cooler, and neither the H100 nor the H80 require it to function.

So, unless you have populated ALL the hard drive bays in your 700D, the Corsair Link Commander will fit into any spare hard drive bay (if you purchase it).

Your question once again: "But, since the Corsair Link Commander fits in a 3.5" bay, where to put it in my 700D?".

And the answer is "you put it in an empty 3.5" hard drive bay".

To quote you again:

"That's why the Link Commander should be manufactured to fit a 5.25" bay and not an obsolete bay such as one that is 3.5".:sigh!:

Any further questions?"

Yes, why is it that you can handle a water loop but don't realize that the 3.5" bay is not obsolete and that hard drive bays ARE 3.5"? :confused:

It's ONLY EXTERNAL 3.5" drive bays that are obsolete, and you do NOT REQUIRE an external 3.5" bay to mount the Link Commander.

Any Questions?

Note, I'm glad they're 3.5" and not 5 1/4". My 600T has all the 5 1/4" bays populated, but I have spare 3.5" hard drive bays available to mount the Link Commander in if I so chose.

Edit: I wrote this before I read the other replies, but every word of it still stands.

The simplest solution would have been to Google it and you could have seen it installed and in action in various videos.

Hello guys,

Quick question about the H80, which I've had my eye on for a few weeks:

I understand that both fans connect to the pump.

I understand that the pump and the fans are powered by a 4-pin molex connection.

I understand that there is a button on the pump which allows me to change fan speeds (and pump speed?) from "Low Noise" to "Balanced" to "High Performance".

I understand that there is a 4-pin fan cable from the pump intended for the CPU_FAN header... The purpose of which (according to what I've read so far) is to provide the motherboard BIOS with an RPM value so that users aren't constantly annoyed with CPU-fan-failure messages.

My question is about control... In the older H70, the pump was always at full and the fan RPMs were changed according to the BIOS (ie. the fans were usually plugged into the CPU header). In an aircooling system, the fans are controlled by the CPU_FAN header and BIOS (with other software as you wish).

So finally, after all that, can someone please let me know how I control the H80's fans/pump from a BIOS/software point-of-view?

I appreciate there is a button on the pump which I can press when I'm tired of spreadsheets and fancy a go at some CPU-intense gaming, but apart from the button, is there any additional control?

For example, the fan cable from the pump to the CPU_FAN header, does it do more than just keep the BIOS quiet, or does it also control the voltage going to the fans on the radiator?

The answer is probably really simple, and I'm sorry this is so long winded, but I'd appreciate any help anyone here could give.

Thanks -

• Corsair Employee
The tach signal going from the pump to the CPU_FAN header is for the pump only and provides no control over the unit itself. It is not required to plug the H80/100 fans into the pump unit. You can plug them into the MB if you would like to have the MB control the fans or a separate fan controller altogether. The fan headers on the pump of the H80/100 only give control via the built in fan controller or with the addition of the Corsair Link suite which moves control from the pump housing to your desktop.

The tach signal going from the pump to the CPU_FAN header is for the pump only and provides no control over the unit itself. It is not required to plug the H80/100 fans into the pump unit. You can plug them into the MB if you would like to have the MB control the fans or a separate fan controller altogether. The fan headers on the pump of the H80/100 only give control via the built in fan controller or with the addition of the Corsair Link suite which moves control from the pump housing to your desktop.

Thanks fella! I didn't consider hooking it up the H70 way, but I guess that would work too.

In this scenario, am I right in thinking that it would be best to have the pump set to "High Performance" all the time?

Will the H100 fit the rampage extreme x48 motherboard? there is a chip on the back side of this board and I'm wondering if the mounting bracket will still be able to seat correctly?, any info would be great as I am waiting for this cooler to come out, thanks in advance.

Got note from my reseller that it's (H100) delayed until the week of July 25th. :(

Man, I was hoping to have it this week, but that sadly won't be the case!

:noooooo: this is awful, i was hoping it would be in my hands by weeks end too, oh well. Sure would be nice to have some more...any stats to help wittle the time away with lol

Archived