Corsair Community

2 kits of CMT12GX3M3A2000C9?

WOLF

Dear Corsair staff.

I wonder if there is any technical disadvantage (quality & performance) in a assemble of 2 x Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) PC3-16000 2000MHz DDR3 (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9) KiT compare to a single 24GB KiT?

Could not find a Corsair Dominator GT 24GB (6 x 4GB) KiT DDR3 (1866MHz - 2000MHz).

Sincerely, Bengt "WOLF" Johansson.

Hi Wired.

Thank you so much for your answer.

Except for the speed, is there any other technical disadvantaged with 2 x Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) KiT that come to your mind?

As it is now I run Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (6x2GB) KiT (CMT12GX3M6A1866C9) at 1866MHz (XMP) and it work just fine.

The specs may be the same, but that doesn't mean the parts are. 9 different IC manufacturers x each one making multiple ICs x ICs from each batch not guaranteed to play with each other x multiple PCBs = a lot of combinations. Granted that list gets shorter because of the high speed of the memory. Either way, even if you have a matched kit of 6 sticks, you still need to luck out on the memory controller.

You're already halfway there with being able to run 6 sticks @ 1866, but wanting to both double the density of the memory and raising the speed... you'll certainly be testing the limits of the memory controller. May need some crazy cooling on the CPU to achieve it. Yellowbeard would know more about it than I.

Dear Wired.

Thank you for your informative answer to my question.

One last question...

Are you planing to come out with Corsair Dominator GT 24GB (6 x 4GB) KiT 1866MHz - 2000MHz?

Me? Hell no, I don't know the first thing about making memory :sillygrin (read the sig)

Corsair? Highly doubt it. Just checked NewEgg and the fastest memory kits that came in 24 GB kits were only 1600 MHz. Presumably it's either too hard to get 24 GB kits faster and/or the yield of 24 GB kits > 1600 MHz is too low to make a sellable amount and/or there's not enough demand for a 24 GB kit > 1600 MHz.

Hi Wired.

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry for being split minded, of course did I mean Corsair and not you.

It would be nice to hear what Yellowbeard have to say about assemble 2 x Corsair Dominator GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) KiT DDR3 PC3-16000 2000MHz (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9).

• Corsair Employees

Mixing memory is a crap shoot and sometimes it will not work and you in most cases would have to slow the memory down to DDR1600 or DDR1866 to get two sets of XM3S-12 Gig 2000C9's to work together. At this time the IC's that are available to use yield 24 GIG sets that are listed DDR1600.

Can you over clock and get more out of them, Maybe? But there is no guarantee.

Dear RAM Guy!

Thank you so much for your professional advice.

Good to have someones that are proficient and helpful.

Sincerely Yours, Bengt "WOLF" Johansson (Corsair Product Fan).

Archived