Corsair Community

A70 fan mounting problem

Shockington

So I've been trying to get the pull fan to clip on properly for two days with no avail. Firstly, I should mention I am installing it on an AMD board so I'm using the AMD lever type tension mount.

The fan that installs on the side with the lever simply does not fit properly. It hits the lever just enough to make installing it nearly impossible. I was able to get all 4 of the grab tabs on the heatsink one time, and that was with considerable force needed. It doesn't sit properly like the the fan that mounts to the opposite side. That fan clips in like a dream.

I've tried switching the side of the lever thinking it would matter, but nope, it didn't matter. Is there a trick I am missing? I've read the installation instructions upside down and sideways, but it didn't mention any problem with mounting the fan.

Currently the fan is sitting in the box as I don't feel like cutting my hands to shreds trying to get the thing to mount properly.

I wish I could, but it would be impossible to get the angle without taking the motherboard out. The two top clips will clip in, the two bottom ones, closest to the lever, will not. They're about a quarter inch from being able to grab the heatsink itself. You simply can't get the fan down far enough to get around the bottom of the fins to slide in. The fan hits the top of the lever and it prevents it from moving further down, therefore it can't get the "shroud" around the bottom fins to clip in. The fan itself is scratched by the lever from the attempts to put it on.

• Corsair Employees
It sounds as though there may be some component on the MB near the CPU that is causing it not to seat properly, please check for that. And what is the make and model of Mother board?

It sounds as though there may be some component on the MB near the CPU that is causing it not to seat properly, please check for that. And what is the make and model of Mother board?

It is a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

This was originally what I had thought, but I tried the lever on both sides of the socket. It didn't matter, the fan still hit the top of the lever making the fan unable to clip in properly. The heatsink is definitely seated properly on the CPU, that much I'm certain of. As the performance is quite exceptional. I'm not looking for a refund or RMA here, I'm just letting you know of a potential problem with this mounting system and hardware.

If Corsair is thinking about releasing another product making use of the stock AMD mounts this should be a concern for them.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but there should not be a problem like you are describing, you removed the CPU Cooler bracket and with the CPU in place should put the bottom of the cooler about 1/32" above the locking lever for the CPU. Can a friend loan you a camera so I can see what you see?

I'm assuming you mounted it as SHOWN HERE?

All AMD mounts are EXACTLY the same. I have 3 different 790 boards here and the A70 fits them all. The fan DOES touch the top of the lever but, with a bit of finess, it fits right in.

It's installed dead center on the socket. Should I be offsetting the cooler so it's slightly further away from the side with the lever? It's hitting the lever by at least a quarter inch so I'm not sure this would help. I can give that a try right now though.

It's installed dead center on the socket. Should I be offsetting the cooler so it's slightly further away from the side with the lever? It's hitting the lever by at least a quarter inch so I'm not sure this would help. I can give that a try right now though.

We appreciate you letting us know about this. However, since the introduction of this product line (A70 and A50 mount exactly the same) yours is the only complaint we've had about the mounting system on AMD rigs. Either you have a component that is out of spec or you have some sort of anomoly. Either way, I'm afraid we're not going to make much progress on your particular case without a picture.

We appreciate you letting us know about this. However, since the introduction of this product line (A70 and A50 mount exactly the same) yours is the only complaint we've had about the mounting system on AMD rigs. Either you have a component that is out of spec or you have some sort of anomoly. Either way, I'm afraid we're not going to make much progress on your particular case without a picture.

I'll do my best to provide a picture tomorrow. I just reseated the heatsink and offset it slightly from center. This allowed me just enough room to get the fan on the lever side to grab properly and the fan is on there now. However if you compare the fan from the lever side to the fan on the side without it they are by no means even. The fan on the side with the lever is roughly a quarter inch higher than the side without the lever.

What I mean is, there is a gap between the top of the fan shroud and the top of the heatsink. On the side without the lever, there is no gap at all and the fan is snug up against the top of the heatsink. I know without pictures you're not really going to understand me, and as it's been a long day, I think I'll just have a few beers and hopefully return tomorrow with some pics.

P.S. I did reseat it WITHOUT cutting my hands to shreds on the heatsink, so I already consider this a victory.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just to say that I have the same problem.

Got a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (AMD 890FX - AM3) motherboard and when installing the top fan (when you put the tower on the upright position), wasn't able to clip it completely at the locking lever side.

Tried to put the heatsink as far away from the locking mechanism as I could (while still having the heat sink in contact with the CPU) but there isn't simply no clearance clip the bottom of the fan (it hits the lever).

This ought to be visible on the manual's pictures, but I didn't notice it before.

http://blog.corsair.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/AMD-Lever-Locked.jpg

http://blog.corsair.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Fan-2.jpg

As you can see on the last picture, if you imagine the locking lever there, you'll come to the same conclusion that there is no clearance to clip the fan (sorry, didn't remember to take pictures and don't want to mess with it again).

Was also a bit disappointed that there is no official way of doing an horizontal mounting, since my case doesn't have top ventilation, only through the back. Guess if I want to have proper ventilation, will have to buy a new one...Would Corsair fancy exchanging my non-Corsair mid-tower for a Corsair's with top grid or fans? Wasn't planning ditching my current case... (doesn't hurt asking ;) )

Apart from these issues, really happy with my Corsair PSU, RAM and now the CPU Cooler.

So I've actually dismantled it again and mounted it with the latch (lever) at the bottom (when the case is on the upright position) and managed to put both fans - although the latch side one is always more difficult.

However have the feeling the having the cooler locking latch at the bottom might not be as secure as having it on the top (it's now taking the weight on it instead of under).

Might use the adapters for the 1600 rpm since I think the fans a bit noisier than the stock one (which makes sense: two bigger fans).

Archived