Corsair Community

H70 at Asus P8P67 - 3/4 pin connectors and fan speed regulation

taith

So I noticed little problem when wanted to plug my newly bought H70 to motherboard that's usually using 4 PIN connector for CPU cooler, my question is how I should connect stuff to make system decide speed of fans

here is scan of manual with detailed info about pin connectors for this MB

attachment.php?attachmentid=8538&stc=1&d=1306685404

938600862_MBfan(kopia).resized.png.727053acc35377af749224b6e40bbd61.png

cpu fan header to pump but make sure in the bios it is set to 100% full power always.

the fan(s) can be plugged in anywhere.

keep in mind when the fans throttle down your temps will rise. IMHO have the fan always at 100% as well for best cooling. if its too noisy either get a quieter fan or buy a dial type fan controller. i wouldnt depend on the motherboard to adjust anything, the software that runs the fan headers expects air cooling so everything the software tries to do with fan speed is wrong anyway.

Connect the pump directly to the power supply with a molex to 3 pin adapter. Connect the Fans to the CPU header. IF you do not have 4 pin fans they will run at full tilt. I swapped mine out for 4 pin PWM fans and use speed fan to monitor the temp and control the fans. Works well.

I have the exact same board as you do.

that what I made after changing original design that was built on GND line, only mistake I made is using BC 141-16, proper hfe for this should be over 200, ~300 for best results, because PWM Imax is 5mA and max current on 12V line is 1A

attachment.php?attachmentid=8581&stc=1&d=1307226319

1698907101_4pinconverter.png.d4e71f91239672e7129a38052b7e8b5c.png

Not a good idea to put the pump on the CPU_Fan header, will get throttled back eventually either by mistake or bios update.

Better as recomended elsewhere put the pump directly to the PSU or other header that is not varriable.

Fans to CPU_Fan header will then allow you to vary RPM if and when you install PWM fans.

David

cpu fan header to pump but make sure in the bios it is set to 100% full power always.

the fan(s) can be plugged in anywhere.

keep in mind when the fans throttle down your temps will rise. IMHO have the fan always at 100% as well for best cooling. if its too noisy either get a quieter fan or buy a dial type fan controller. i wouldnt depend on the motherboard to adjust anything, the software that runs the fan headers expects air cooling so everything the software tries to do with fan speed is wrong anyway.

Most fans are 'stepping' that is they will run at 1 of 3 speeds, true PWM fans will run at any range from x to y.

David

that what I made after changing original design that was built on GND line, only mistake I made is using BC 141-16, proper hfe for this should be over 200, ~300 for best results, because PWM Imax is 5mA and max current on 12V line is 1A

attachment.php?attachmentid=8581&stc=1&d=1307226319

Archived