Corsair Community

XH850 and some odd behavior

bobmitch

I have an XH850 which is about 8 or so months old. In the past few days...I have had some issues with external hard drive and flash drives in my USB 2.0 hubs...sometimes locking up on me. Then today, I got a RAID error encountered and had to reset my array. I am figuring that one of my hard drives is going...for it is a refurb VelociRaptor that I received about a year ago...GLFS 300 GB...BUT...I want to make sure that this is the issue...

How can I be sure that my HX850 isn't the culprit? The only recent addition to my system was to replace an EVGA GTX470 with an EVGA GTX 580, which is totally in spec with this PSU.

Right now...I also have an APC XS1300 Battery Backup that I have had on my system for a couple of years. According to the power meter in the front...when idle...the system is only drawing 165W. Under full graphics load with the 580...it is 385W. The hard drive errors are now happening on their own and becoming more frequent...but started when I did a virus scan of my HDD using Kaspersky 2011. I just did a fresh installation of my hdd in the past week...so I am not sure what I am seeing.

Could the PSU be causing these errors? My system has been working flawlessly up to now...for over a year...with only the addition of the 580, which I cannot believe would be giving the PSU any problems....

Thanks and Happy New Year

Capture.PNG.458796c512771ef30baceaa044e631e6.PNG

OK...now I am officially puzzled. I broke up the RAID array...and cleaned the drives with the WD utility to wipe with Zeros. At the end...each drive passes inspection with NO errors. Could there be a failure iminent in the PSU?????

• Corsair Employee
Hard to say for sure if the PSU could be causing the issue. If possible, I would test the unit in a different system, this may be the only way to know for sure if the PSU is causing the issues. Its definitely possible that the PSU could be the problem, but from what you describe I would say that it is equally likely that the board, or new graphics card could be the culprit. See if you can duplicate the same issues with the old graphics card, and also make sure you have the latest BIOS for the board. If all else fails then we can definitely try replacing the PSU for you, just Request an RMA.

I don't think it's the 580. I have had it in the system for over 45 days with no issues. Tested it as well...no graphics problems and according to my Backup...it only tops off the power draw at about 490 W when in full 3D mode pushing it. Only other change I made, is that when I installed the OS fresh, I used more up to date RAID drivers from Intel (10.1.0.1008) that were released in December. Prior to the fresh install...I had only upgraded to them after Holidays and had NOT done a virus scan with Kaspersky. Mind you that the errors happened during the virus scan of some major large files....Kaspersky would stall...Hard drive activity light would go out and then the error popped up. Using the Intel 8.9.1023 drivers from 09, never caused any issues...could also be a cause.

I have just restored from a backup of my Hardware install of the OS that I did a few days ago...and did a virus scan with no issues. Right now...loading as much onto the drives as possible (games, etc...which have large files) and will see again.

The other odd thing that got me was when I did a backup last evening and Acronis, for the first time ever, gave me an unreadable drive error. So this morning...wiped the drives and tested....NO errors....ugh!

I'll keep you posted

Oversight on my part. I use Perfectdisk 11 for defrag. There was a build 182 update released late December as well.

Archived