Corsair Community

Deciding on buying 2x Force 60GB SSDs...

ACIDtek

I'm planning on setting up a RAID 0 system with 2x Force 60GB SSDs and i got a few questions:

1) I have an Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard so i want to know first hand if there are any know issues with this board and SSD Force Series (RAID 0 or not) ? Any history of problems from users with this configuration?

2) What are the fixes and optimizations firmware 2.0 brings? I saw the annoucement thread but haven't seen detailed info.

3) I use Acronis True Image 2010 and i have made a backup image of my current system (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 completely tweaked and "naked" (LOL) for extreme perfomance, the image size is 10GB. I want to know if i can restore this image and use this system as is on a brand new pair of Force 60GB SSDs running on RAID 0? Is it possible?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Please check the image as it should e about 30 Gig for windows 7, and yes I would update the firmware on the drives if they are not already firmware 2.0 before you start. And what Firmware 2.0 Fixes is described in the Firmware update post. But basically the firmware corrects detection issues when wake from S3, but if you use an Intel chipset its suggested using the latest Intel drivers as well.

Hi RAM GUY thanks for answering! (And Happy Holidays for all the Corsair team there!)

The reason why the image is really small is because i turned off a few disk space eaters on Win 7 and those would be:

Virtual Memory (i set it to use drives E:\ and F:\ for the pagefiles )

Hybrid Sleep

Shadow Copies

Those 3 were using around 18GB of space on C:\

After that i ran the usual cleaner, optimizer, and defraggers (CCleaner, SpeedupmyPC, Registry Clean Expert and O&O Defrag) and then i created the image on Acronis.

My only concern is that i'm new into SSDs and i'm a little worried of messing things up on the first run. If i'm not abusing your patience already LOL, i would like to take a moment of your time just to get the procedures right:

1) Take the SSDs out of the box, plug them in and first thing to do is to update the firmware to 2.0 and the intel chipset driver to the latest version.

2) Setup the RAID 0 (i don't know how to do that yet but i will read on it shortly)

3) Ok now i want to restore that Acronis system image i did earlier into the SSDs. What i'm mostly worried about here is: do i need to "prepare" the brand-new-out-of-the-box SSDs to work/accept the image file restoration? (for example: format. make them NTFS type, etc) or i just boot into Acronis Manager and set the SSDs as destination and that's it?

Acronis works excellent with SSDs and the Force drive in particular I know works great.

1) use CrystalDiskInfo and check the firmware version of the drives. If it is 1.0 or 1.1, then update it to 2.0.

2) create the RAID 0 array using intel ROM manager (should have a bootable option for this, CTRL+I maybe). Assuming you are going to use the ICH, which you should.

3)Afterwards, what I suggest is to run a Windows 7 install and format the drives using that tool. The Windows 7 install is known for properly aligning the drive (which is a primary concern when dealing with SSDs, a concern not evident in HDDs). Once the drive is aligned then I would go back to Windows and use Acronis to restore the image to the RAID 0 drives. Acrnois also copies bootloader and partition table data, so you should be able to boot from the RAID array from now on. Format or remove your old drive to minimize problems once you know your SSD RAID is running good.

4) As a last step, run ATTO and post a screenshot of the results back here. You should get around 500 MB/sec for reads and writes, I believe. If your benchmarks are below average, I would look up an alignment calculator and determine if the drives are properly aligned.

Archived