Corsair Community

Issues with TR3X6G1600C8

Jorsh

Hi everyone,

Last year I built my system using a 6x2GB Tri-channel pack of Corsair XMS DDR3 1600, product TR3X6G1600C8 (memory timing: 8-8-8-24, 1.65v).

Up until just recently, the system was running fine without any problems.

However, within the last week or so, Windows 7 has started to lock up and crash, yielding blue screen errors usually. I noticed that upon restarting, the BIOS was no longer showing the 6 GB that normally had appeared on start-up, but rather that only two of the modules (~ 4 GB) were not appearing. Once Windows loaded, this was obviously what resulted also.

I went and began to try and test pulling out a module at a time, and I isolated down a module that, upon restart, the other two appeared and showed the 4 GB once again. So I re-inserted it into its slot just to check, and then the BIOS showed 6 GB again. However by the next morning the system once again crashed, and went back to only reporting ~ 4 GB.

I went and pulled out that module, and then swapped the other two into the other slots to test the slots, and no matter which combination I used, the system always reported 4 GB. I also then went and tested using the one I suspected of being faulty in other slots (while also using one of the modules that appeared to still be good), which would then usually report only 2 GB. At this point, any time the (seemingly) faulty module is in with the others, the system only reports 4 GB.

So far my assumption is that one of the modules is bad (and thus I'll have to RMA the kit), but I wanted to first check and see here whether this does seem to indeed be the case, or if anyone has any other suggestions for testing.

I should note too that I'm running an X58, i7 920 system in a Micro ATX case, and that the modules do seem to get hot at times (although from what I've read, this seems to be normal for DDR3 and X58 systems).

Archived