Corsair Community

PS cause Mem & HD failure?

adapa

I got a 4 year old home built system which just had a bad HD (failed to write 0's) & a bad mem stick.

I started getting a BSD then replaced the HD then was getting a fail to install windows error so I pulled mem sticks till I got win to install.

It seems too coincidental to have both the HD & a Mem stick go bad at the same time. Is it reasonable to think the PowerSupply might be the root cause of the problems?

Thanks for moving the spec's to my profile. The reason I didn't do it a the beginning is because I've got a couple of systems & I didn't want to confuse people down the line with the wrong spec's.

Regarding the Memory, when I posted I had not run a check on the two suspect sticks. I just complected a memtest86 & one stick is bad. It failed at test two.

It's just odd that a 6 month old WD black drive & a stick of mem go bad at the same time. Not to say it never happens but it's odd. I'd like to rule out a PS issue.

• Corsair Employee
It is definitely strange that the HDD and memory would fail at similar times, but I have seen much stranger, lol. Normally PSUs will either work or they won't, and if a problem is detected it should shut itself down to prevent any damage to the rest of the system. You may want to check the voltages in the BIOS or with some software (although these values are not the most reliable), or preferably with a volt meter, as it would be the most accurate. Each rail should be within 5% of its rating in order to be in line with the ATX spec. Other than checking the voltages, there is not much else you can do to see if the PSU is somehow intermittently causing failures.

Archived