Corsair Community

Corsair 800D - Buying Questions

Antec87

Hello,

I am about to upgrade from my ******** 1200 to the Corsair Obsidian 800D.

I have 2 main queries regarding the 800D:

1.) Is the hotswap bay compatible with SATA3 6gb drives? Ok, I read there is a replaceable backplane in the works. Is it real?

2.) Will ******** Velociraptor 300gb HLFS backpane-ready drives fit in the hotswap? Yes

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: Had some time to search forums, sorry. I guess my only question is will a sata 3 backplane actually be available for purchase in the next 1-2 months? Kind of influences my purchase..

Didn't know about the branding censorship either, lol sorry.

EDIT2: Well with no USB3 support, no ETA on SATA 3 support, rampant sata power connector issues, and the fact it still costs 280...I will have to pass.

EDIT3: After noticing Corsair censored a reply to my thread I will definitely not be buying another Corsair product ANYTIME soon. eBaying my RAM as I type this.

User carpediem2b had this to say in response:

"So will I, its useless to buy this case without sata3 and usb3.0. I sent them an email aboout it, they never answered. :confused:"

If you're going to ignore service requests why would I ever buy your products?

imho,

i dont think SATA 3 and USB3.0 are important now.

i doubt they'll be important for another 3 years.

our hard drives now don't even saturate our sata2 bandwidth, let alone sata3.

as for usb3.0, its been around for over a year already and usb2.0 is still mainstream.

motherboards now dont even support ALL usb 3.0, only 1 or 2 usb3 entries.

and if you havent noticed, the corsair forums are pretty dead. there is only 1 employee who types on this forum and he ignores 3/4 of the post.

i've posted 2 threads and he hasn't responded to one. I've had to call in every time.

if you really want suggestions or help, go to enthusiast forums such as overclock.net or xtremesystems. they will treat you well

Telrin, please keep on topic. As for RG not responding, you didn't bump the thread after that initial 24 hour spurt on each thread. If a thread falls through the cracks and you don't bump it after 24 hours, it's less and less likely to be seen as newer posts get created. Forum's not dead, back end stats are pretty much always at a constant rate or increase here. Also, there's more than one Corsair employee on the forum (not to mention who posts as Ram Guy).

As for the rest, I agree. I personally can't see me having a use for SATA3 or USB3 for a long time.

Sorry, mis-read your post a bit. I think what they're saying is that most uses of USB2 and SATA2 don't come anywhere near the limits of the spec, so why DEMAND something that won't improve anything?

Now having said that, yes, we'll certainly see more and more boards with SATA3 and USB3, and them coming out earlier than needed is certainly part of the process, but when will we come close to needing that much bandwidth?

Hello,

I am about to upgrade from my ******** 1200 to the Corsair Obsidian 800D.

I have 2 main queries regarding the 800D:

1.) Is the hotswap bay compatible with SATA3 6gb drives? Ok, I read there is a replaceable backplane in the works. Is it real?

2.) Will ******** Velociraptor 300gb HLFS backpane-ready drives fit in the hotswap? Yes

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: Had some time to search forums, sorry. I guess my only question is will a sata 3 backplane actually be available for purchase in the next 1-2 months? Kind of influences my purchase..

Didn't know about the branding censorship either, lol sorry.

EDIT2: Well with no USB3 support, no ETA on SATA 3 support, rampant sata power connector issues, and the fact it still costs 280...I will have to pass.

EDIT3: After noticing Corsair censored a reply to my thread I will definitely not be buying another Corsair product ANYTIME soon. eBaying my RAM as I type this.

User carpediem2b had this to say in response:

"So will I, its useless to buy this case without sata3 and usb3.0. I sent them an email aboout it, they never answered. :confused:"

If you're going to ignore service requests why would I ever buy your products?

Uhm, I am truly sorry but i need to ask you. Why are you closed solid on the USB3 and SATA6 features?

Hopefully, you do realise that in order to actually use USB3, you will need both a motherboard and a piece of hardware which are both USB 3.0 compatible, otherwise it will have no effect.

As an example, you will need both a USB3 motherboard and a USB3 mouse/keyboard in order to actually use USB3. If you plug a USB 2.0 mouse into your usb 3.0 motherboard it will have absolutely no effect. Also, please have in mind that it will take at least 2-3 years before the vast majority of mice/keyboard available on the market will be USB3. The amount of USB3 mice/keyboard right now is very limited.

And what about important values such as build quality, hotswap, e-atx support, watercooling options, materials used etc.? aren't those a bit more important?

Honestly, i don't understand why people are going crazy over USB3 while rushing out to buy it. The amount of USB3 available hardware right now is very limited.

Isn't it a bit like rushing out to buy a $500 dress suit with a tie, getting all dressed up to a party that wont begin before 2-3 years? Just saying...

EDIT: I can see that my Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard is USB 2.0. This is hands down the best keyboard that i have ever owned, this is a $150 keyboard made from aluminium/plexiglass, wireless as well as extremely pleasant to type on, and there is absolutely no way that i am going to sell it merely to buy some cheap *** plastic USB 3.0 keyboard.

As an example, you will need both a USB3 motherboard and a USB3 mouse/keyboard in order to actually use USB3. If you plug a USB 2.0 mouse into your usb 3.0 motherboard it will have absolutely no effect.
Okay, I think it's damn near safe to say he's not worrying about his keyboard or mouse. :biggrin: Classics are storage and video transfer.

Honestly, i don't understand why people are going crazy over USB3 while rushing out to buy it. The amount of USB3 available hardware right now is very limited.
Latest and greatest = geek drool. Having said that, just as when USB2 (and USB1 for that matter), you're right, it'll take time for manufacturers to switch over their plants to USB3. We'll no doubt be flooded next year with tons of items that meet USB 3.0 specs and don't even saturate USB 2.

Isn't it a bit like rushing out to buy a $500 dress suit with a tie, getting all dressed up to a party that wont begin before 2-3 years? Just saying...
Hey, a good black suit's timeless :biggrin: Not a great analogy for this particular scenario though. :p:

USB 3.0 External Hard Drives 76 at Newegg alone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601%20600003484&IsNodeId=1&name=USB%203.0

SATA3 6.0gb Internal Hard Drives at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003483&IsNodeId=1&name=SATA%206.0Gb%2fs

So there is quite a bit to choose from now and there will be much much more to come.

Guest TouchyFeely

I merely skimmed through some of these replies so I may have missed something but I got to tell you, I just don't understand people’s perspectives and responses to the consumers.

SATA 6 and USB 3 are real, and people spend hard earned money getting parts that take full advantage of these features. I myself have 5 SATA 3 drives in my 800D and I am pretty disappointed that the backplane does not accommodate my hardware. I have created a work around for this but I lose the "HOT SWAPABLE" feature of the case. (Which is a HUGE feature and selling point) This kind of lowers the value of the case doesn't it? (That’s rhetorical)

If you spend 300.00 on a case, 200.00 on a MOBO and 200.00 on a SSD to take advantage of the SATA 3, its only reasonable to expect, AT THE MINIMUM, for consumers to desire to be able to take advantage of all these features, intuitively. An engineering degree and a roll of Duct Tape should not be required.

I fully understand that you guys want to "back" Corsair and defend the Company/Product but we have to keep it real.

CORSAIR in fact, should fix this SATA 3 backplane issue and there isn't anything that anyone can say about that in Corsair's defense. This case LIMITS the use of people’s hardware in the way it was intended and engineered to be used.

I totally understand that when the case was made SATA 3 was too new to incorporate it, well it’s no longer new and there are enough requests to make it a reasonable action item for Corsair. Fixing the backplane issue is a testament to Corsairs dedication to perfection and customer satisfaction, not creating the updated backplane has the opposite effect and so does telling people they don’t need SATA 3 and USB 3.

And furthermore, asking people, "so why DEMAND something that won't improve anything?" is completely inappropriate, but I have an answer for you.

BECAUSE WE WANT IT

This all boils down to CUSTOMER service and meeting the reasonable needs and expectations of the consumer, SATA 3 could be HOAX for all I care, if it’s a hoax a couple million people buy into it would be advantageous for Corsair to support it. Besides there is nothing wrong with future proofing yourself, especially when you expect people to donate 300.00 for your product.

Attitudes like this are why things don’t change, think outside the box, stop defending the company and start listening to the people. You guys here at the forums are OUR link to Corsair’s internal operations or so we think anyway, we tell you these things not to bitch and gripe but in HOPES those changes will be made.

Please keep in mind that whether true or false the things you guys say to consumers on this forum directly impact perception and consumer experience. Those two things affect sales and you just never know who you’re talking to. My motto is Treat people how you want to be treated.

I don’t mean to embellish but tell me which one of these headlines sounds better to you guys.

Corsair says, there is no real time need for SATA 3 or USB 3 so we will not be addressing these concerns at this time.

OR

Due to overwhelming response and Corsair’s dedication to its customers we are proud to announce that the 800D SATA backplane will now be compatible with new SATA 3. In efforts to show appreciation to all current 800D owners, backplane kits are now available at the Corsair online store. Upon checkout if you provide Corsair proof of purchase of your Corsair 800D we will send you the new updated backplane free of charge less shipping and handling.

Anyone that's demanding SATA 3 to use SOLELY with SATA2 equipment shouldn't be doing so. You're an exception. You actually have the hardware, but again, is the SATA3 connection just a selling point, or does it make a difference with the hardware behind it? In otherwords (and this isn't a rhetorical question), is there any equipment out there that uses a SATA connection that sees a real benefit when going from SATA 2 to SATA 3? Doesn't mean people don't have the right to ask for it (future proofing and whatnot), but it's a fair question both ways. I wouldn't doubt that their next case would come with both SATA / USB 3.

Aside from that, there is no SATA 3 backplane issue. The case came out almost the same week that SATA 3 got ratified. IMHO they did the right thing for their first case, and that was to have a case that wasn't astronomical (albeit yes, $300 isn't cheap either), and had a lot of great features. If they added SATA 3 to it back then, the case would've been more expensive, thereby lowering the # of purchases and limiting their market share to only the extreme high end (back then at least).

If SATA 3's a hoax, I doubt they'd go the same way just to make a buck. Multiple times they've sent in PSUs to be 80+ rated and they've tested a rank up than what they were designed for. They could've labelled them that higher rank and be fine, but they chose to only label them what they were designed to do because it was the right thing to do.

As for that last bit, Corsair hasn't yet responded in this thread, nor have I ever seen them say anything to that effect. I doubt they'll give it away for free (+S/H), mainly due to the large numbers of cases sold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's < $10, but again, that's just my opinion.

I solved the USB 3.0 problem on my 800D with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MPQCW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0049MPQD6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=038M694372GJ2Z0YRK4V . There are a couple 5.25 to 3.5 adapters on the market that match the case fairly close.

USB 3.0 hardware is starting to become available and the speed increase over 2.0 is well worth the effort. I have an USB 3.0 external drive that will match esata, and a couple of USB 3.0 flash drives that will run circles around 2.0.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TouchyFeely

Thats a nice match for the case indeed, in previous posts I wasn't really rallying for the USB issue though it's a legitimate gripe, I am more passionate about the SATA backplane issue. I get around this by mounting drives in the 5.25 bays. I had so much room there that I even have a fan blowing downwards onto the drives.

I took two 5.25 brackets painted them black and hot glued them to the fan and installed the fan like a 5.25 drive! Now I have a good 100CFM pushing down onto my Raptors and they run at about 30C under load while getting to use SATA3 speeds.

Archived