Corsair Community

Voltage Compatability issues

ThePhoenix

Hello, I just recently bought 1 stick of the Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 and was running 2 sticks of CM3X2048-1333C9DHX. I thought both were exactly the same however I forgot to check the voltages of my current ram (the 2x2gb). I knew that in my computer they had been running at 1.5 volts since that is what I had set them for in the EVGA e-leet tuning utility (installed with my drivers for my motherboard).

However now that I plugged in the new 1x4gb stick I realized that while the new memory is set to run at 1.5v the older memory is set to run at 1.6v. I was wondering if there is anyway I could set it up so they would be compatible (Everything else about them is exactly identical aside from size and the e-leet utility allows me to custom set voltage for my memory to within 0.01v)

PS I do realize I can't run 3 sticks of ram at once, all I'm looking to do is run one of the 2gb sticks and the 4gb stick.

Hello, I just recently bought 1 stick of the Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 and was running 2 sticks of CM3X2048-1333C9DHX. I thought both were exactly the same however I forgot to check the voltages of my current ram (the 2x2gb). I knew that in my computer they had been running at 1.5 volts since that is what I had set them for in the EVGA e-leet tuning utility (installed with my drivers for my motherboard).

However now that I plugged in the new 1x4gb stick I realized that while the new memory is set to run at 1.5v the older memory is set to run at 1.6v. I was wondering if there is anyway I could set it up so they would be compatible (Everything else about them is exactly identical aside from size and the e-leet utility allows me to custom set voltage for my memory to within 0.01v)

PS I do realize I can't run 3 sticks of ram at once, all I'm looking to do is run one of the 2gb sticks and the 4gb stick.

As Wired stated, mixing memory modules of completely different IC densities is not recommended. At best you would not get fully dual-channel operation (in fact, a 2GB module mixed with a 4GB module would at best run with 4GB in dual-channel and the remaining 2GB in single-channel); at worst, your system would suffer from severe stability issues or fail to POST at all (as it all too often occurs on recent systems with ultra-high-speed modules of mixed IC densities - all of Corsair's 2GB and larger DDR3 modules are double-ranked and of an x8 configuration, which results in 1 Gbit ICs on the 2GB modules and 2 Gbit ICs on the 4GB modules, and ICs of completely different sizes often don't play nice or at all with one another).

Archived