Corsair Community

GTX 580 SLI and HX1000W

RickC

Hello,

I am currently running a modestly overclocked system on an HX1000W. It is a Core i7 920 C0 at 3.6GHz, plus two GTX 285's in SLI and an 8800GT as PhysX card. I forget the overclock on the video cards. Like the CPU, it is a decent overclock, but nothing outrageous. I have two hard drives (non-SSD) and 6GB of RAM (3 x 2GB sticks). The RAM is 1600MHz, but actually underclocked in a quirk of the way these Intel boards share clocks. The next memory multiplier would have overclocked the RAM beyond 1700MHz, which I was not comfortable with. I find memory overclocking to rarely be worth it. Too much risk of weird errors with very little noticeable performance boost.

Anyway, if I upgrade the GTX 285's to GTX 580's (ridiculous name, it should be the GTX 385), but leave the rest alone, will the HX1000W continue to power the system without problems? Or would dual GTX 580 + a PhysX card mean it is time for the AX1200W? What if I ever upgraded to a six-core CPU? It looks like the new i7 six-cores have the same TDP as the i7 920, so I am assuming it would not change the power needs, but I do not want to assume wrong.

Note that my system runs at 100% 24/7. When I am not gaming, I am folding on the GPUs and CPU. The HX1000W has handled this steady 100% load great! At least with the current configuration...

Thanks,

RickC

• Corsair Employee
I don't think we have actually tested any of these cards yet, but Nvidia states that the GTX580 can draw 244 watts a piece, which is about 40 watts extra per card. I would suspect that the extra 80 watts would not push you over the limit of what the HX1000 could provide, especially when running in real world conditions.

I think you will be fine because I've seen people run dual 480's on a 1000 watt and the 580 is actually more power efficient.

When you say 100% load, does your folding actually create the CPU usage to stay at a constant 100% as viewed in task manager?

Archived