Corsair Community

H70 temps...god awful

sh1ft

I have an i7 950 running at the stock clock speed and a H70 cooler in a 600T. In a push/pull configuration on the rear of the case, the best temperature I can get AT IDLE is 38*C. It doesn't matter whether the fans are running as intake or exhaust. The ambient temperature in the room is roughly 20*C.

Am I the only one that finds this ridiculously high? For $110, I expected better. I think my Noctua would've been a better choice.

Can you measure your mobo temp? my idle temps are normally about 13c above ambient, under load is where the H70 really shines.

But anyway, what temps would you be happy with and why? your temps are nowhere close to having any effect on the cpu or other equipment, you say your ambient is roughly 20c, how are you measuring that, wetting your fingure and sticking it in the air won't give a very acurate reading :-).

What is your case? do you have enough ventilation drawing air in and pushing it out. So many factors to consider! but really your temperatures are not bad.

David

How are you measuring this temperature? And, what are your loaded temps?

HWMonitor, using Core #1 as a reference. Idle 40*C, load 60*C. I ran my 920 at 25*C idle on an air cooler for the longest time. That is why the temperatures don't sit well with me. Yes I know they are well under damage range, it just irks me. I measure ambient temperature of the room by the thermometer in the room.

Quite a few of the newer 930 and 950 CPUs run noticeably hotter than the 920s, especially the D0 stepping 920s. Basing your expecation for this current CPU on another CPU is not an accurate way to guage your current setup.

Also, it could be an error in temp reporting with that utility and the newer CPU. Do your BIOS reported temps at idle correspond with the OS reported temps? Idle on each should be very close.

It was always my understanding that the 920 was one of the hotter chips. I'm not trying to use a 920's performance as an exact benchmark for a 950, just a ballpark. 15*C just seems like a broad difference. Considering my 920 was air cooled and my H70 is water cooled at push/pull 2000RPM...something doesn't fit.

I have used multiple utilities to gauge my temperatures. All of them read the same.

Hi Sh1ft,

just for the record I run a Q6700 quad at 3Ghz.. its runs at 33-38 idle. Reaches 61 degress when playing a demanding game such as Battlefield 2 Bad Company over several hours. I'm really pleased with those temps. I have heard that the i7 chips run a little hotter than the core 2 duo's, also your case - the 600t - (which thanks for your help, i intend on getting), might bump up temps depending on those 200mm fans. Just a thought. p.s the only fans running in my mid tower case are the exhaust set up of 2 120mm fans either side of the H50 - which is why i wondered if I necessarily needed to use all the 600t fans.

Archived