Corsair Community

Having grief with 2x VS2GB1333D3

Markeh21

Right, I've got 2 of the aforementioned VS2GB1333D3 sticks, and I'm getting random 0x00000124 errors, with no BSOD, rather a frozen screen, sound looping, etc. My RAM voltage was somehow set at 1.635v, so I changed it back to the standard 1.5 for these sticks (the timings are stock). Turned my PC on tonight,(made the change this morning), 45 minutes later, PC goes off, black screen, no warning, no errors on reboot.

Is any of this a RAM fault at all? Should I be RMAing my RAM as well as my motherboard and CPU?

There may not be anything wrong with your hardware other than BIOS settings? Using multiple memory DIMMs instead of a matched KIT can cause problems however.

Try testing one DIMM at a time with Memtest 86+. Make sure the BIOS settings are 9-9-9-24 2T @ 1333 MHz. @ 1.5 V. Slightly higher RAM voltage should not be an issue however. You can also try 11-11-11-30 2T to see if that helps because of the four individual DIMMs instead of one tested, matched kit.

Memtest 86+ is available at the link to the left of the page.

Where do I check to see if it's coming up as 2T, and where do I change it in the BIOS if it isn't?

This is the DRAM section from the BIOS (did a BIOS template for another forum)

Everything is on auto bar Memory Over Voltage which is on 1.5, the correct one for this RAM

DRAM 1st Information is 9-9-9-24-5-34-10-5

DRAM 2nd Information is 7-2-5-3-2-90-90

There's only 2 DIMMs in this system, last one was added in June (built it in May).

Will burn another Memtest disk later on, unfortunately coursework comes first.

Given the choice, I'd have had a matching set of 4GB RAM, but lack of available funds scuppered that plan.

In your BIOS there should be an option to set the memory Command Rate at 1T or 2T. The "Memory" tab in CPU-Z will show you your currently memory settings for each slot/DIMM.

Even though the memory part numbers may be the same the DIMMs do not appear to be the same and thus may not be willing to function properly together even with changes to the BIOS settings - per the Corsair Memory Upgrade Guide at the link below.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87341

But surely, if the 2 sticks weren't going to work together, the problems would have occurred from when I inserted the second stick, not 4 months afterwords?
one of the issues is although it may have worked at one time, this is an "officially" unsupported configuration but you can try to RMA them both and see if you get a pair back from the same lot?

i would call customer service and see what they can work out for you, it does not seem like this can be solved through this forum.

Running memtest, if I get an error I'll test sticks individually. If not, looks like the board or the CPU's at fault.

EDIT: It's done at least 1 pass with no errors. Will probably leave it for another pass, but it doesn't look like the RAM's at fault here.

Thanks for your assistance, guys. Really appreciate it.

Archived