Corsair Community

Lifespan on Corsair Nova Series SSD's ?

Ultimatium

Warrantied for 3 years. MTBF 1,000,000 hours

A Corsair representative's response to a review of the Nova 128GB2 is listed below. This is from Newegg's page for this product:

----------------------

Pros: Worked well... for 39 days. Loaded OSX on it for my macbook pro. All temp and scratch files were on a secondary 500gb drive. This drive worked perfectly for 39 days. (Invoice date 4/2/2010 - death date 4/12/2010)

Cons: On day 40 the drive sent my OSX into perpetual spinning rainbows. (equivalent to the eternal hourglass in windows). All attempts to repair the drive have been futile.

Other Thoughts: I loved this drive when it worked. Read the warranty information carefully. This drive cannot be returned nor replaced and you have 30 days warranty from Newegg - sounds like a complete plan-on-the-device-failing-after-day-30...

Manufacturer Response:

Our warranty on this drive is 2 years. Use the link below and we'll be happy to replace it for you. We are sorry yours failed.

External Link(s):

RMA Link

-----------------------------------------------

Who's right here? Is it 2 years or 3 years?

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. No problems with my Nova, very happy with it.

To the OP: Lifespan, as reported by SMART attributes, will change dynamically as you use your drive. (Try SSDLife to get an idea.) When you first begin using your drive it begins calculating time vs. writes and the lifespan will seem very short because you haven't been using it very long and you've most likely been doing a lot of writes (installing OS, programs, files). As you begin using the drive more "normally" the estimated lifespan will increase dramatically. Mine went from about 14 months (first few days) to about 3 years (after a couple weeks of "normal/average" use).

So, don't take the initial report too seriously because it will continue to calculate drive life based on usage over time. I'm not worried about it, I'm sure mine will outlast its warranty since my write/erase pattern is fairly average or below because I don't do a lot of downloading or adding a lot of files to the drive. Also, I've applied a lot of tweaks to cut down on writes by the OS. A very good guide for that is HERE if you use Linux. For Windows there is probably a ton of info right here on this forum as well as all over the 'net.

• Corsair Employee

raydabruce,

I have posted in several threads that our SSD's do not have this enabled and any third party software you use to monitor drive health will not be reliable information. So please quit posting that on our forum it is miss leading and incorrect information.

Ultimatium please ignore raydabruce, post's about Drive health and SMART; they are not valid in your case.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, in my case, TTF for a 128GB Nova was 36 days on a Macbook Unibody. Either the drive has a problem with Macbooks, or there's a bad batch somewhere.

Either way, I'm going to return it for warranty, and maybe try to replace it for a 120GB Force.

At some point this year, we changed our warranty terms from 2 years to 3 years. My post was before the change.

A Corsair representative's response to a review of the Nova 128GB2 is listed below. This is from Newegg's page for this product:

----------------------

Pros: Worked well... for 39 days. Loaded OSX on it for my macbook pro. All temp and scratch files were on a secondary 500gb drive. This drive worked perfectly for 39 days. (Invoice date 4/2/2010 - death date 4/12/2010)

Cons: On day 40 the drive sent my OSX into perpetual spinning rainbows. (equivalent to the eternal hourglass in windows). All attempts to repair the drive have been futile.

Other Thoughts: I loved this drive when it worked. Read the warranty information carefully. This drive cannot be returned nor replaced and you have 30 days warranty from Newegg - sounds like a complete plan-on-the-device-failing-after-day-30...

Manufacturer Response:

Our warranty on this drive is 2 years. Use the link below and we'll be happy to replace it for you. We are sorry yours failed.

External Link(s):

RMA Link

-----------------------------------------------

Who's right here? Is it 2 years or 3 years?

Archived