Corsair Community

CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 and Evga X58 Classified3

Crusheddream

probably already been stated somewhere in the forums but im not getting a response from Evga so ill try here

I can run at 1600mhz 7-7-7-20-74-1T with +175 VTT and 1.65 DimmV

If i try to run the XMP profile it will not let me POST

I have tried to run at 1866mhz with +250 VTT and 1.65 with 8-9-8-24-88-1T but i get the same no POST.

I paid 250 dollars for RAM to run at or near 2000mhz so what do i need to do to get my RAM to run at or near its rated speed?

All my RAM is showing in windows and BIOS so im sure the sticks are good no BSODs or anything else weird.

As noted here and on every other PC hardware forum, overclocking performance is not guaranteed. Corsair memory is actually tested and guaranteed to run at the advertised speed. That however does not mean that the other components on your PC - specifically the CPU and memory controller but also the mobo/PSU/Vid, etc. will all run stable at the speed rating that the RAM has actually been tested and confirmed to run at. See my signature for more details.

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking a PC beyond it's guaranteed OE specs. Your CPU guaranteed memory speed is 1066 MHz. You should be thrilled if it runs at 1600 MHz. as that is a 50% overclock. Just because someone else's hardware might run at 1866 MHz. or faster does not mean that your's or everyone else's will run that fast even if the Corsair RAM that you are using is tested and fully capable of running at 2000 MHz.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37150

You might find the OC info. at the link below helpful and informative in your quest to OC your PC beyond it's intended operating frequencies:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Remember: There are no guarantees in overclocking! ;):

Enjoy the adventure but understand it's a hobby, not a guarantee performance level.

Look i don't mean to be rude but heres the deal the RAM is rated to run at 2000mhz now if your saying im OCing which i am not i am trying to run my RAM at its rated speed.

Now into the intel IMC 1066/1333mhz my astricks if that was the speeds they wanted there would not be XMP profiles which i might point out are intel gauranteed profiles.

You in no way answered my question but maybe you misunderstood them.

I wanted to know why i paid 250 dollars for RAM that is supposed to run at or near 2000mhz understandably its based off my bclk so i know it won't be right on 2000 but it should be at or near this value. Now i will thank you for responding to my post but please do not attempt to say i am overclocking anything when i am simply attempting to run my RAM at the speed it is rated to run at this is what i paid for and what i expect if i wanted 1600mhz i would have boughten it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145318

Quote from details: "Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Support"

The keyword i want everyone to see before anyone ever throws the well the i7 only operates at 1066/1333 as default is INTEL XMP not corsair or any other company but intel itself.

nowhere does it state in the description or details that it may not function at 2000mhz as a matter of fact in the details it states for speed DDR3-2000 not 1600 not 1866 not 1333 not 1066 but 2000

So can someone from corsair themselves respond with an answer as to why i can not run at rated speed?

Crusheddream-

It doesn't sound like you understand that running your RAM beyond Intel's rated OE specs is overclocking? :confused: The CPU core frequency can remain OE but if you try to run the memory faster than 1066 MHz. -- that is overclocking of the memory and not supported by Intel.

The Corsair memory runs fine at 2000 MHz. It's actually been tested and confirmed to run at 2000 MHz. It's the other components in your PC that will not function at 2000 MHz. Corsair guarantees the MEMORY will run at 2000 MHz. not that all the components in your PC will run at 2000 MHz.

The Intel link I posted shows you that the official supported memory frequency for your CPU is 1066 MHz. That is all that Intel guarantees your CPU memory to operate at without issues. You're already running it 50% overclocked at 1600 MHz. so you've done good. If your total system was as capable as the Corsair memory you might get to 2000 MHz. Try reading up on the OC link I posted if you want to try overclocking your RAM/system higher.

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

ok but still its called Intels XMP so that is basically windows saying it should run at these settings.

Now you keep saying my other components can't run at 2000mhz i find that hard to believe unless i am right and my Classified3 needs a BIOS update to make it work correctly

yes i am happy with 1600 though it isnt truely 1600 its more like 1592 but anyway so im thinking at this point it may just be the BIOS need updating but i can't get it to post with anything higher than 1600 atm so im giving up on it.

Intel does not guarantee that their XMP settings will work. They are easy overclocking solutions that may work if all of your PC hardware plays nice.

Below is a quote from the Intel XMP website:

"Δ Warning: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system, processor and other system components; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of other system components beyond their industry standard specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor and other system components, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. "

http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/extreme-memory.htm?iid=search

ok but still its called Intels XMP so that is basically windows saying it should run at these settings.

Now you keep saying my other components can't run at 2000mhz i find that hard to believe unless i am right and my Classified3 needs a BIOS update to make it work correctly

yes i am happy with 1600 though it isnt truely 1600 its more like 1592 but anyway so im thinking at this point it may just be the BIOS need updating but i can't get it to post with anything higher than 1600 atm so im giving up on it.

Crusheddream, Don't be another victim like me. Get your Kit RMA'd.

I wasted enough time on trying to the RAM to ran at it's rated spec.

Only to find that it was faulty module that cause so many problem.

After getting the replacement kit, everything running smoothly in both STANDARD and XMP mode. All AUTO/Manual settings works fine.

Best part is, they now run at rated spec and I have 2x 4G kits that is running at rated spec.

Cheers!

Can see how much time I wasted here => http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=89974

I think you are absolutely correct Gnayres seeing as now i dropped my VTT to +100 and still able to boot into windows with 1600mhz and tight timings but if i manually go to the stock RAM settings and then set the voltage and VTT manually no POST so at this point i am thinking it is in fact the RAM that is bad or faulty since no amount of VTT will allow my machine to POST at 2000mhz or 1680 or 1800 it stops dead at 1600mhz. this tells me its the RAM itself not my CPU. Also when i tried to increase my Bclk to 140 a tiny OC i get a pagefault error << this points to RAM so RMA it is.

Submitted an RMA request still no response from corsair? The RAM is bad im quite sure of that since i can get to 1600mhz with very little VTT increase but anything over no POST so like i stated im leaning towards its the RAM that is having the issue and searching around im not alone other people are reporting similiar issues so the hardware theory is out the window because i doubt all of us have the exact same IMC and hardware setups.

So i get a msg from corsair tuesday morning asking me to test my sticks one at a time i did it none of them post over 1600mhz in any slot even with 275 VTT ive seen so many screenshots of people POSTing over 2000mhz with 175 VTT and by a lot i mean a lot so something is not right and i still have not heard back from corsair. I am at this point assuming its either my BIOS or the kit is just not capable of going over 1600mhz yes of course i know corsair tests their RAM kits but guess what when producing thousands and thousands of sticks im sure there is a few kits that get out that have issues. Hopefully this is the case.

So i get a msg from corsair tuesday morning asking me to test my sticks one at a time i did it none of them post over 1600mhz in any slot even with 275 VTT ive seen so many screenshots of people POSTing over 2000mhz with 175 VTT and by a lot i mean a lot so something is not right and i still have not heard back from corsair. I am at this point assuming its either my BIOS or the kit is just not capable of going over 1600mhz yes of course i know corsair tests their RAM kits but guess what when producing thousands and thousands of sticks im sure there is a few kits that get out that have issues. Hopefully this is the case.

I would think it is the BIOS or perhaps your memory controller. It would be extraordinarily rare to get 3 modules from us that will not meet specifications.

Archived