Corsair Community

HX850 Random Shut Offs

sw25th

Using HX850 for less than 30 minutes now, recently purchased and installed.

Have been able to power the unit up for brief periods, then shuts down (whole unit turns off) uncommanded. Then wont turn back on for a few minutes, or turns on whenever it decides to, or wont turn on at all! :???

I was able to boot into the bios briefly and the power readings said:

• 5v
  • 3.3v
  • CPU volt
  • 12v

Actual:
  • 5.14V
  • 3.28V
  • 1.16 CPU Volt (i7 930)
  • 12.08V

The 5v seems high would that cause my problems? Also I simultaneously bought the 480 and the HX850 and installed both thinking it would work together and it hasnt so far. But the video card works obviously. It's just the system is unable to maintain a powered state and randomly shuts off. I checked and my CPU temp is stable at 86F, so its not that!

Thank you!:biggrin:

Asus P6X58D, with the 5v installed, and 24 pin installed.

Just took out the 480 and put in an old video card that i know works and whole computer will not power on when pressing power button. But the mobo lights are on.

Going to try and swap out the new one for my old PSU to see what happens. :)

:confused:

MY system has worked before reliably for 2 months now without any issues. It's just when i Put the HX850 in it and the 480GTX did I get some new problems.

Just took out the 480 and put in an old video card that i know works and whole computer will not power on when pressing power button. But the mobo lights are on.

Going to try and swap out the new one for my old PSU to see what happens. :)

:confused:

MY system has worked before reliably for 2 months now without any issues. It's just when i Put the HX850 in it and the 480GTX did I get some new problems.

Update: Old Power Supply system works fine. Unfortuantely cant test the GTX 480 because I dont have a 6 pin PCIE, only 4 pins. I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and get a new PSU and try that way. Then RMA most likely the HX850 until a new one can arrive. But I'm hoping I can avoid the RMA process and see about a new answer.

Update: Bought a GS800 (corsair) installed and did everything the same way as I did the HX850, and guess what... It booted the first time without any problems. I'm now downloading nvidia drivers and staring at this beauty of a power supply.

I think the verdict is return HX850 wait for an RMA and keep the GS800 :sunglasse

Here are the power results from bios right on boot.

CPU 1.16

Archived