Corsair Community

H50 results, is this typical?

PhilipVanLuke

So not willing to buy a bigger 775 proc but not having the money for a full system upgrade I decide to go the overclock route.

I have an E7300 and was able to go from 2.66 to 3.0 Ghz on stock voltage of 1.225 Core in bios. Any further was unstable so I need to raise the voltage to 1.325 to get to 3.33 this is completely stable in IntelBurn.

I get 77C at 100% load on stock cooler so I decide to go aftermarket cooling as my understanding is over 70C is not good.

I first bought an A50 and it took me down about 10C to 67C at 100% load but it was too big for my case and I still wanted to go lower temps so I bought a Corsair H50 today.

I feel I installed it pretty well (1 fan stock) and I am down to 38C at Idle and 60C at 100% load.

Do these temps seem typical for a 65W C2D overclocked 666 mhz and @ 1.32 VCore in CPUZ?

I feel sort of OK about these temps but then I see TONS of people reporting 1 Ghz Overclocks and running 30C idle and 40C @ 100% on an H50 and I am clearly getting NOWHERE NEAR IN HEAVEN these temps. But on the flipside I am also not getting the insane temps I see people getting on here like 90C or anything. I would just like a little reassurance that my $80 is doing the work its supposed to and I can sleep easy.

First off, make sure its making good contact (always the main response). Next, two fans will give you about 1-5C temp drop in a push/pull config. Test out using them as intake and exhaust to see if one is better. Make sure the pump is running at full power (either disable fan/temp control or attach directly to your psu).

Finally, what is your ambient? Since you are idling at 38, it must be about 30-34 in your room. I have found the H50 to idle in my system about 2-4C over my case (or system) temp (my version of ambient). My room may be 25C, but, under the desk where my computer is getting its air is 28-30C. This means my radiator will not cool below that. Under full load, I have found my H50 (lapped and high static pressure fans) to produce about a delta of 22C over my system temp. This is with a Phenom II 940be though, so, yours may not go that high.

I have found, for the most part, that ambient temp is more important than nearly anything else in a watercooling setup. Yes a bigger radiator will shed more heat, but, less radiator and cooler ambients will do as well.

Once again figures are meaningless unless you state what the ambient is, you could be living in an Iglo or on top a volcano, either will have an affect on your temperatures.

Any thing below 85c - 90c will have no affect on your CPU, a 'mine is cooler than yours' does nothing to improve an OC, there is a limit on all CPU's not related to temp just just pure stability of electrons running arround a circuit.

David

Once again figures are meaningless unless you state what the ambient is, you could be living in an Iglo or on top a volcano, either will have an affect on your temperatures.

Any thing below 85c - 90c will have no affect on your CPU, a 'mine is cooler than yours' does nothing to improve an OC, there is a limit on all CPU's not related to temp just just pure stability of electrons running arround a circuit.

David

Very correct. The only thing that I have found that is really important with cooling is to be able to minimse the rapid increase in the core tempreatures when the cpu load increases and then to be able to keep the case temp down if sustained cpu load is maintained.

The first part is nearly imposible and only haveing a cold case temp at idle takes up the slack somewhat. This is because the inner cores increase in temp much quicker than the case. There is a big thermal lag between the cores and the case.

Very correct. The only thing that I have found that is really important with cooling is to be able to minimse the rapid increase in the core tempreatures when the cpu load increases and then to be able to keep the case temp down if sustained cpu load is maintained.

The first part is nearly imposible and only haveing a cold case temp at idle takes up the slack somewhat. This is because the inner cores increase in temp much quicker than the case. There is a big thermal lag between the cores and the case.

Your not wrong! when I first installed my H70 on first startup the pump must have been stuck and did not start, the CPU reached 99+c in the 43 seconds it takes me to turn on and get to windows! at that temp self preservation cuts in and the mobo or cpu shut down ASAP.

Next turn on and after hiting the pump everything was good and has been ever since. Just shows the sort of temps we are talking about

David

Archived