Corsair Community

Padlock 2 constant format requests

padlock2user

Just purchased a 16g padlock 2 from amazon...and having problems.

I have a windows 7 pro 64bit system, when I unlock the device (green flashing light) and insert it 9 times out of ten up pops the "format device" window.

If i just keep ejecting the device, entering key (I always get the green flashing light which I take to mean its "unlocked"), and re-inserting into the usb port..eventually...after many attempts it will suddenly be ok and all my data is there.

I tried the sd format utility already...any suggestions?

I have exactly the same problem! Bought from Amazon (supplied by ADMI Limited). Win 7 64bit - I've tried two different PCs, but same OS on both.

I've not kept trying as many times as you, but will try again now to see if I can get my data back.

This is really annoying, because the best case scenario I can see is that it will have to be returned, meaning that I'll have to wipe the device, and then wait weeks...

I already tried the format utility...no diff

I bought mine via amazon directly from amazon, not a storefront; not sure if that makes any difference.

The reason I wanted to get this was that it required zero installed software, in other words totally independent of the OS. It does appear there are "slight" issues that may be a s simple as timing...hard to tell.

I can confirm that my data has ALWAYS been there if I just kept ejecting, unlocking, and trying again until it eventually appeared. (in every case the green "unlocked" light was always flashing before I put it in the usb port)

Just hit cancel on that "needs a format" box hehe

I'm having a similar experience on my Windows 7 machine. I have no issues reading from the drive on my Vista or Windows 2000 machine, it simply isn't unlocked when connecting to Windows 7 the vast majority of attempts.

Is the SD Format utility the first thing to try once I backup my data?

I'll note that I purchased two of the drives, both of which have similar inconsistent behavior when connecting to Windows 7 machines.

I definitely notice a much greater chance of the dreaded format box popping up on windows 7 machines (64bit).

however, without fail...if I just keep ejecting and remounting it will eventually work and sure enough all data is present.

@RAMGUY

thanks for offering to replace, however, it appears to be a "somewhat" common problem. Do you believe the unit is defective if this happens and replace will resolve it, or is it just something to try? ;-)

@padlock2user - you are correct, I never seem to actually lose any data, as I'm always able to read from the drive on non-Windows 7 machines. Strangely enough it has recognized my drive on my Windows 7 machine on the first try (after I posted my first message) this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived