Corsair Community

cmp6gx3m3a1600c8 - Leading to screen freeze on XMP?

DocJonz

I have built two virtually identical rigs (see profile), and in each the XMP profile is enabled .... it also turns out that both systems suffer from screen freezes after between 7 and 39hrs of heavy number crunching (running the Folding@Home distributed computing project on the CPU and GPU) - is it possible the XMP defaults are responsible? I'm assuming the issue may be the DRAM voltage of 1.65 or the QPI/DRAM setting of 1.40?

If I set the BIOS to auto, one of the machines defaults to 1066 and the other to 1333 - I'd like them to both run at 1600 (that's why I bought this memory), but if that cannot give 100% stability, I'd be happy with appropriate settings for running at 1333 ......

Odd behavior for sure. If both machines are identical then you'd expect them to both default to the i7-930 max memory frequency of 1066 MHz. The 1600 MHz. RAM frequency rating is 8-8-8-24 2T @ 1.65V so the RAM is capable but perhaps your CPUs or something else is not cooperating?

I'd suggest starting with the RAM set to the Intel spec of 1066 MHz. and see if the systems are both stable under folding@home and work up from there on OC'ing the RAM, if it is stable.

Archived