Corsair Community

Air Series A70/A50 Resources: FAQs, Installation Guides, Compatibility Threads, Etc

Yellowbeard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Where do the 4 black washers go on an Intel installation? nothing in written or on-line instructions

I didn't see any need for the black washers on the backplate in my installation so I used them under the thumbscrews to prevent the thumbscrew threads from bottoming out before the unit was pulled down nice and snug. But based on the internal diameter of the washers, I don't think they are meant for this purpose but rather for the backplate in certain applications. I was on an Asus P8P67 board with Intel 1155 socket.

Looks like I'm getting about a 10-12 (Celsius) reduction over the stock Intel cooler. This was just a quick before & after running Prime 95 on a 2600k OC'd to a little under 4.5.

I was pretty disappointed to have to remove the Vengeance heat spreaders as the A70 fan interferes with the first two DIMM slots on this board. Pretty weak oversight in terms of compatibility across these two Corsair products but otherwise fairly satisfied given the sale price of $26.

Uh, the Vengeance heat spreaders aren't supposed to come off...

Please let me know what the risk of doing so is. My understanding from IT friends and reading beyond the hype is that heat spreaders are quite irrelevant. I took one off to make clearance for the A70 but left the other one on just so the spec sticker is visible for future reference. Again, please let me know what your understanding of the risk is. Thanks!

1. Voids warranty.

2. You could have pulled off / loosened the memory ICs (irrevocable damage).

3. heat spreaders aren't hype. If memory didn't need to ever be cooled, then crazy overclockers wouldn't use water cooling / peltiers on them.

Having said that, depending on the scenario they may only minimally help with the temperature, but they're not doing any harm staying on, and they're certainly NOT meant to come off.

1. Voids warranty.

2. You could have pulled off / loosened the memory ICs (irrevocable damage).

3. heat spreaders aren't hype. If memory didn't need to ever be cooled, then crazy overclockers wouldn't use water cooling / peltiers on them.

Having said that, depending on the scenario they may only minimally help with the temperature, but they're not doing any harm staying on, and they're certainly NOT meant to come off.

Thanks, all good reasons to be cautious or, better yet, avoid doing it completely. Both the static and physical damage risks to the ICs were on my mind as I was popping the spreaders off but it went fine and the adhesive residue was also easily removed.

I purchased the CPU cooler and RAM from the same manufacturer assuming such basic physical compatibility would have been thought though. Still very happy with these and other Corsair products though.

How much clearance is there for the ram under the a70 with dual fans installed? I would position it so the fans flow air from left to right.

My ram's height is 40mm. Can I fit the a70?

On my Asus P8P67, it's just under 35mm from the bare DIMM slot surface to the edge of the fan. The first DIMM slot is blocked completely and the second slot aligns directly under the edge of the fan such that a memory module could probably be installed here but the heat spreader would definitely be in direct face-to-face contact with the front intake plane of the fan. See attached pic of my situation. That's a bare Vengeance module in slot A2 and the other Vengeance module (with the heat spreader) in slot B2. BTW, everybody warns against taking the heat spreaders off as doing so is highly risky (potential damage to memory chips) and voids the warranty. I just did it to prevent contact between the RAM module and the fan and didn't have the patience to re-order lower profile RAM (like Corsair XMS, Ripjaws Sniper, or the bare options).

695556259_AsusP8P67ProandCorsairA70.thumb.jpg.7d3f558664523ba2ac67860559ac9a5a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, ive just purchased the A50 cooler but before i install i've a question or 2.

The installation instructions above shows a pea sized blob of Thermal paste/material being placed in the centre of the cpu but there's no mention of wether it needs spreading out across the surface before the heatsink is installed on top. Do you need to spread the paste or does leaving the pressure of the heatsink itself to spread the paste do a good enough job?

I will be using Arctic Silver 5 as i have some spare. Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived