Corsair Community

Asus M4A79XTD EVO and CMX8GX3M4A1333C9

ChemicalBurn

I really need some help in picking the right memory for a new AM3 configuration. I have an ASUS M4N79XTD EVO motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 965 (125W) processor.

I want 8 gb of 1333 ram, since 1600 memory does not seem to work well with this board and processor. I do not do overclocking and do not want to do any overclocking. System stability is more important to me than anything else.

The first non-corsair memory I used did not work. Even when underclocked to 1066, 4 sticks would just not work for me. That memory according the other manufacturer was also compatible with my board.

I am looking at CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 which appears to be compatible with a significant number of ASUS motherboards including the ASUS Crosshair IV formula. It also appears that this memory is compatible with the Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 and GA-890FXA-UD7. At least according to their QVLs. This leads me to believe that this is ideal AM3 1333 memory.

I have looked at the corsair configurator and my board is not listed. I have also looked at the Phenom II support page and the 8 gb corsair kit is listed. I would really like to know what the best 8 gb solution is for me. It does not have to be 1 kit of 8 gb. 2 kits of 2 x 2gb is fine. I do not want to have to do any tweaking or overclocking to get the memory to work.

If you can help me end this 2+ month nightmare of Windows 7 BSOD memory instability I will be a corsair fanboy for life. Also, I am willing to go with a different board. I really just want a stable long lasting system. If another board would be the best solution, please send a private message and let me know what I should go with.

The part number you listed is approved for Intel CPUs not AMD. While it might work, I'd use the Corsair tested and approved AMD memory. The AMD tested and approved part number is: CMX8GX3M4B1333C9, which should work just fine unless your Asus mobo is just a POS. To insure hassle free operation you DO want one tested, approved 8 GB. kit, not two kits of 4 GB. each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145279&Tpk=CMX8GX3M4B1333C9

What I found unusual was that CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 is listed in the QVLs for the ASUS Crosshair IV formula, Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, and GA-890FXA-UD7; however, the CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 is not listed.

I am interested to know why this is the case. A number of AMD AM3 boards are listed as compatible with CMX8GX3M4A1333C9(Intel), but not CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 (AMD).

The "A" was an earlier release module than the "B". The mobo companies only qualify a few modules from each memory company to give users some options. Corsair obviously tests and guarantees specific memory to work properly on a specific platform. While you may be lucky and the "A" might work, Corsair guarantees the "B" will work.

At first I thought A was for Intel only and B was for AMD only; however, that seemed strange to me. I did not realize that B was basically a newer version guaranteed for AMD. I feel far more comfortable purchasing it now.

On a side note, I have seen many people having issues with all different manufacturers' memory and MOBOs with the latest AM3 processors.

Are the problems caused by a CPU lacking good RAM support?

AMD Chipset lacking good RAM support?

Or the MOBO itself being picky about memory?

Combination of the above?

I have never had these kinds of problems before. I have read several stickys in different forums about the memory controller on AM3 processors only being able to handle 1 dimm of 1333 memory per channel. Is that the root cause?

Are Intel processors also plagued with these same memory issues?

Archived