Corsair Community

AX1200 with 3 GTX480

uscavman

Just got the AX1200 installed and its warning beeps are going off when in 3xSLI mode. I think i need 126amps and the power supply can only do 100. Does anyone have experience with auxiliary power supplies or should I get a bigger primary power supply?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
126A on the 12v rail would be 1512 watts, which is more than most outlets in your home will support. Do the problems go away when you use two cards at a time? Have you tried testing the cards one at a time to make sure that there isn't a single card that could be causing issues?

Just got the AX1200 installed and its warning beeps are going off when in 3xSLI mode.
Just a Q: Isnt it possible to put those bridges in wrong order when 3 card is in use?

2Q: dose your BIOS have SLI settings and are they enabled? (in old-days, they did have those.)

126A on the 12v rail would be 1512 watts, which is more than most outlets in your home will support. Do the problems go away when you use two cards at a time? Have you tried testing the cards one at a time to make sure that there isn't a single card that could be causing issues?

Well I was running two cards on a Thermaltake RX-850 and got the audio warning from the power supply. I took it out of 2 card SLI mode and it went away. When going to 3 card SLI I figured the 1200AX could handle it. I could try running just two card combinations and see if one card is making the issue.

Each card recommends 42A would I multiply that by how many cards I have in my system and find a power supply for that amount?

Just a Q: Isnt it possible to put those bridges in wrong order when 3 card is in use?

2Q: dose your BIOS have SLI settings and are they enabled? (in old-days, they did have those.)

The bridge is a one piece design. I could try flipping it around and see what happens.

I have a Rampage Extreme III. I didn't see any settings in the Bios for SLI.

I think I figured out what two wires need to be spliced in on my second 850 power supply to run dual PSU. But with Flanno saying it can work I'll try messing arround with it abit more.

System is

i7-980X

Rampage Extreme III

9 GB Corasir 1866C9D

3 GTX 480

256GB OCZ PCI-E SSD

2x 300GB WD Velociraptors

Coolance 450S high flow pump.

The bridge is a one piece design. I could try flipping it around and see what happens.

I have a Rampage Extreme III. I didn't see any settings in the Bios for SLI.

HI, ok

Then your spec's is wrong. It says "Extreme 2".

Anyway, on that (extreme 3) MB's manual page 2-46. It syas "Connect the 4pin EZ_PLUG_1 and EZ_PLUG_2 power plugs to ensure sufficient power supply when you install multiple graphics cards".

So did you member to gonnect those 2, "4-pin. molex" connectors in your MB?

I didnt find setting for SLI eather on this BIOS, so i think its automatic.

HI, ok

Then your spec's is wrong. It says "Extreme 2".

Anyway, on that (extreme 3) MB's manual page 2-46. It syas "Connect the 4pin EZ_PLUG_1 and EZ_PLUG_2 power plugs to ensure sufficient power supply when you install multiple graphics cards".

So did you member to gonnect those 2, "4-pin. molex" connectors in your MB?

I didnt find setting for SLI eather on this BIOS, so i think its automatic.

Oh those specs are from my old system I'll update to reflect the correct stuff. I did hook up the 2x 4-pin molex plugs but they are not from separate rails from the PSU. I'll pull out another set of cables to isoloate both molex plugs to put them on separate rails.

• 2 weeks later...
Installed a second power supply. I now get no solid tone from the power supply when going to 3-way SLI. When starting the new Medal of Honor the solid tone comes back. I then took it out of SLI and still get the solid tone when starting Medal of Honor. I'm stumped. I can't tell if the tone is coming for the 1st or 2nd power supply. The second power supply is a 850. 1st 1200 PSU is powering the MB, two GTX480s, HDDs, and 1 plug into the molex connector on the MB. 2nd PSU is power 1 GTX480 and 1 plug into the molex connector on the MB. I've never had this problem before with previous SLI setups.

Archived