Corsair Community

Need help in understanding something!

Ullman

So I'm looking around for new hardware to fit perfectly together, I guess that I've been "out of the loop" or something. Before you matched your memory to the CPUs FSB to get the optimal performance in transferring data between the memory modules and the CPU itself.

Now however there is an intergrated memory controller in the CPU which makes for a faster/bigger bandwith to transfer data in, but what is confusing me is that there isn't a FSB to compare the memorys MHz with hence my confusion about which memory (and it's speed) I should buy for it to match up to the CPU I'm going to buy which will be Core i7 930.

And please don't post any links redirecting to a guide about which memory works with my motherboard since that is not what I'm after.

Is it that simple that whatever MHz on the memory will work with "any" Core i7 9xx-series processor or is there some sort of guideline I should be looking for? Since I found that Intel recommends DDR3-800/1066 memory (this feels a bit slow when there is 1600MHz memory modules out there).

/Ullman

You do not buy memory to match the CPU speed you buy memory to match the CPU designed memory bus speed. In the case of the i7 series the CPU is designed for DDR3 800/1066 RAM. If you're planning to OC your CPU then faster RAM may or may not be of some advantage depending on many factors including the applications.

Due to the slight differences in CPU/mobo architecture it's best to select memory that has been tested and approved for a specific system such as i7/i5/Phenom II etc.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37147&processor=i7-920&spec-codes=SLBCH,SLBEJ

I should buy for it to match up to the CPU I'm going to buy which will be Core i7 930.

I found that Intel recommends DDR3-800/1066 memory (this feels a bit slow when there is 1600MHz memory modules out there)./Ullman

use the memory finder link on the left to see what RAM is certified to run on the board you wish to purchase before anything. if you pick a board that DDR2000 has been certified on you will have the best chance of overclocking or if you prefer to remain at stock speed the JEDEC specs will be loaded and you will have the best chance to be stable with whatever you use the PC for.

best bet is figure what CPU you want to buy, then google that cpu for reputable reviews from trusted sites like [H], TomsHardware, EOC and the like.

see what boards they are using with that chip and the results/conclusions of the reviews. then use the memory finder link and enter that board and see what Corsair RAM is certified for that board (only from a single kit) and build that sucker!!

good luck!

You do not buy memory to match the CPU speed you buy memory to match the CPU designed memory bus speed.

Hence that was what I said

Before you matched your memory to the CPUs FSB

In this case the FSB = Front Side Bus which is the CPU bus speed but thanks for the rest of the text you wrote it was informative.

Looks like I'm going to look for Qualified Core i7 memory then since I don't want to OC my system I want to run stock.

Thanks for the replies.

/Ullman

• Corsair Employee
The complete list of modules for Core I7 and I5 can be found here. However, since the Memory speed supported will depend on the CPU you chose IE Core I7 920, 930, 940, and 950 CPU all support DDR1066 be default and the faster 975 and 980 CPU's will support DDR1333 or DDR1600 according to Intel. However they should all run DDR1333 at 1.5 Volts with no problems.

Archived