Corsair Community

Is my CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 faulty?

Kostja_V

Hello,

few weeks ago, I have finished building my new PC. And from the very beginning I experienced some problems with it.

First of all I noticed in the log, that few Windows services, such as Desktop Window Manager and Windows Sidebar crash quite often.

Then got a problem using Firefox, it crashes every 10-15 minutes trying to load new page. Sometimes, not very often, I even got MEMORY_MANAGMENT BSoD.

But the next problem is the most important and annoing. Every second time I'm trying to copy something from one HDD to another the target file is corrupted.Even when I download something from the internet, the most part of archives and installers are corrupted.

It was impossible to work so I decided to find the source of this problems. Instead of using RAID0 as system disk I left only 1 HDD and checked it for bad blocks (No bad blocks were found). I used Prime95 to check CPU stability, it worked for 24 hours without errors (nothing in my system is overclocked). And the last test I used, was memtest86+, it worked for ~6 hours and made 9 passes. There is a photo with memtest86+ test result in the attachment. So I would like to know, is it a possible source of all my problems? And is it a reason to return my RAM (CMX4GX3M2A1600C7) to the shop where I bought it?

PS: Also, I thought that XMP possibly sets too low timings for my officialy unsupported AMD motherboard. So i even tried to set RAM frequency to 1333mhz and timings to 9-9-9-24, but no result. Then i tried to use this RAM with my friends P7P55D-E Premium motherboard, but it was imposible to work, every 5-10 minutes after Windows boots I got MEMORY_MANAGMENT BSoD.

24092010036.thumb.jpg.8e125fa8f472224de099f44715cbf1c8.jpg

The Phenom CPU will not support DDR1600 only DDR1333 is supported and what did you have the Memory Voltage and CPU set to?

Why not? Everywhere is written that new hexacore AMD CPUs are fully stable with DDR3 1600mhz if it is supported by motherboard. Even in all reviews is used DDR3 1600 with my CPU and MB.

And as I already written, I set DRAM frequency to 1333 and timings to 9-9-9-24 but it didn't help, so I decided to leave settings as written in XMP.

DRAM Voltage is set to 1.65, but I tried to raise it to 1.70 with 0.01 step, but nothing happend. CPU Voltage is set to Auto.

But now I am almost sure that it is RAM's fault. I wanted to check both sticks separately using memtest86+. With first stick everything was perfect, but when I left only second, I can't even POST. I tried all 4 slots, and no result. So I left only 1 working stick in the system, and everything works perfect for 12 hours from that moment.

AMD Phenom II AM3 CPUs are only designed for DDR3 RAM to function at a maximum 1333 MHz. Just because a mobo claims to be able to operate at higher frequencies does not mean that your CPU/Mobo/Memory will all play nice at higher than the OE 1333 MHz. that the CPU was designed and rated for. The mobo makers typically show anything above 1333 MHz. as OC'd, not a default frequency.

Overclocking capabilities vary dramatically between hardware components. Buying quality components that are tested for your platform give you the best chance to OC but there are NO guarantees that your system will OC stable beyond the OE specs.

See page 5 for integrated memory operating specs.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/46878.pdf

AMD Phenom II AM3 CPUs are only designed for DDR3 RAM to function at a maximum 1333 MHz. Just because a mobo claims to be able to operate at higher frequencies does not mean that your CPU/Mobo/Memory will all play nice at higher than the OE 1333 MHz. that the CPU was designed and rated for. The mobo makers typically show anything above 1333 MHz. as OC'd, not a default frequency.

Overclocking capabilities vary dramatically between hardware components. Buying quality components that are tested for your platform give you the best chance to OC but there are NO guarantees that your system will OC stable beyond the OE specs.

See page 5 for integrated memory operating specs.

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/46878.pdf

My M4A89TD PRO/USB3 was bought because it can handle 1600mhz as a default, not OC'd frequency. But really, its not a problem, it would be enough for me if it worked stable at 1333 or 1066 but it doesn't. At lower frequencies or higher timing's I had the same problems.

As I already wrote, nothing in my sistem is overclocked, everything work at their default frequencies. And I am not going to overclock something in the future.

Now I am using only first 2gb stick and everything works perfect, but with the second one I can not even POST. Using both of them I can pass POST, but then I have all problems described here. So I do not think that it is simple compatibility problem.

1600 Mhz. DDR3 frequency on an AMD Phenom II CPU is overclocked. The fact that the mobo may or may not handle 1600 MHz. isn't the issue. If you run the memory at 1600 MHz. then you are running the CPU overclocked because the memory controller is part of the CPU. There is no guarantee that your CPU will run any memory at 1600 MHz. AMD only guarantees 1333 MHz. on AM3 socket mobos.

I think however that you missed a VERY important aspect of my original post above.

The memory that you are using was never tested and approved for an AMD platform. The memory was approved for Intel i5/i7 systems. When building PCs it's important to use the proper components to obtain a stable, reliable system.

DRAM Voltage is set to 1.65, but I tried to raise it to 1.70 with 0.01 step, but nothing happend. CPU Voltage is set to Auto.

But now I am almost sure that it is RAM's fault. I wanted to check both sticks separately using memtest86+. With first stick everything was perfect, but when I left only second, I can't even POST. I tried all 4 slots, and no result. So I left only 1 working stick in the system, and everything works perfect for 12 hours from that moment.

Aren't it answers you are waiting? Possibly I did not understand your question...

This ram also have issue with i7 CPU. I have similar problem.:[pouts:

The memory that you are using is not approved for AMD Phenom II PCs. It is intended for Intel iCore 5/7 systems. You may want to use tested and approved memory from the Corsair list to see if this resolves the issues that you are experiencing.

http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

The process was tested on another mobo by the vendor, no issue.

The mobo was changed, a brand new piece. Initially we thought was a faulty mobo, but not so true..

Anyway, same setup and running into same issue.

But, running the ram at lower spec does not have any issue. Why so then?

Swapping to a Corsair value set 1333 ram (T-loan from vendor) also shows no issue.

But why does it only happen to this set of RAM? Should I try out the Dominator GT 4 G kit too?

Wow, surprised to see so many are having problems with this ram at those speeds. Didn't know it but I guess I got some golden sticks as I can run 8gigs with 6.8.6.16.1t at 2000 oc first on the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 then on the Crosshair IV Formula and hopefully soon on the Crosshair IV Extreme(if I can get my damn HX1000 replaced). I'm tempted to go buy a psu to use for a few days then return it when the RMA is done, lol.

Anyway, I noticed the timings were very touchy for me but if you go slowly and methodically this ram seems to perform very well for not even having extended fins on them. I was at least 4ghz CPU 2.8-3ghz NB and 2-2.4 ghz HT for all of those speeds. My best bench so far has been a 4ghz with turbo core enabled up to 4.39 and ram at 2k with i think 8-8-8-20. Almost made it to 14 sec Super-Pi heheheh.

Anyway, my point to the OP, sounds like a faulty stick for sure if you can't even post with just that 1 stick in from any of the slots. This ram performs well with AMD imo.

The CPU you have is rated at DDR1333 for memory and more then likely the CPU you have just does not want to over clock from what you have posted.

But what were the exact settings for both CPU and memory and what test gave errors in http://www.memtest.org if any?

Hi RAM GUY, below are some image that may help in understanding my problem and settings.

These are some BOSD I faced at random

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5042768503_055185334a_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5043394644_27655fa3dd_b.jpg

This is MEMTEST halfway through..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5043396472_c24ff5671e_b.jpg

These are my BIOS settings: Please advise what need to be changed or manually in put. I do not mind 100% manual settings

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5043398120_72656a43d1_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5042775847_9164de4a6a_b.jpg

This are the CPUID readouts

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5043400124_2ca7b2b508_b.jpg

Some user has told me to try out setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.65v and VTT to 1.2v for both bootup and eventual voltage. I am testing it now.

Cheers!

Hi, I am trying out the below settings:

Stand Profile at 1600MHz, 1.65v, 8-8-8-24 (auto) 2T

VTT Bootup/Eventual 1.2v

CPU Turbo Boost disabled

So far is running fine after the BSOD from previous settings. Let's wait for next cold boot...

Let's hope I can find the stable setting and help the rest who has similar issue... (cross-fingers~)

Yup, I am running i7-870 2.93GHz.

I was running on default settings with XMP Memory profile when the BSOD started every cold boot. This has already make me changed a mobo for RMA, tested the CPU on another mobo, and I did individual memtest, Dual 2-up/4-up, swap slot and many more. All passed with many reruns. memtest overnight, intel burn test close to 20 passes,prime95 64bit for10hr, furmark to stress even the GPU... all passed.. BUT...... BSOD at cold boot after 6-8 hr shutdown... this is annoying.... passed all tests and yet BSOD at cold boot...

• Corsair Employee
Are you trying to run 4 modules? If so load setup defaults and set the memory frequency manually at DDR1333 after you enable XMP. But if you get the same results even with two modules the problem is not the memory.

• Corsair Employee
If you have the same issue even with one module I would try and set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and test all of the modules one at a time but more then likely the CPU you have just does not like to over clock.

Archived