Corsair Community

Asus Maximus III Formula with TW3X4G1333C9A: unstable BSOD's

obsidiannl

I recently purchased a maximus III formula motherboard and placed an i7 870 processor and 4gb of corsair memory; article nr. TW3X4G1333C9A.

First time i booted the system under system defaults (bios) it crashed when loading the desktop of Windows 7 (64-bits). The system rebooted and gave BSOD screens with the message: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x01A. I also got the BSOD with the message page fault in nonpaged area and system service exception. I didnt write down the error codes for these messages. The errors happened when the memory ran on its defaults timing and voltage: 9-9-9-24 and 1.5v. The system does not always crash when loading the desktop of windows sometimes it will not even get to load windows and it reboots.

I got the system to run by running the auto tuning oc profile (good performance) in the bios. Windows booted up, with no errors, and i even played games (Crysis) and the system never crashed or anything, so overheating is basically ruled out. With the auto tuning profile the memory runs with 1.65v. The weird is, when i get the pc to work and when i even reboot the system, no errors occur. But when i shutdown the pc and i boot up the pc the next day ill get the bsod's of memory_management and page fault in nonpaged area. Or the pc reboots without any bsods.

I tested the memory with memtest. No errors and 3 passes. So i think the memory modules are unstable with this motherboard. But the memory is on Corsair's memory support list for the maximus III formula. http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1092663#other_modules.

Edit: I installed the HDD with the sata cable that came with my old motherboard. I think its pretty harmless but maybe you guys will say otherwise.

I upgraded the bios using the asus utility in Windows and i chose the most recent bios version. I think it was v. 1803, but i will check it again.

Edit:

Bios version is:

Version 1801

Description Maximus III Formula 1801 BIOS

1. Improve memory compatibility

2. Improve system stability

I will update it to 2001.

Maximus III Formula 2001 BIOS

1. Improve system stability

2. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

2010/08/27 update

Archived