Corsair Community

I don't get it... HX1000

amnios

Can someone explain or link me to an article that explains the HX1000 hooks up properly to 3 GTX 280's (pictures please?)? I searched the forum and I think everyone seems most concerned if its possible... someone says yes, then end of thread.

To be clear I am asking how to actually hook it up. The best way (being the right way). I already believe its possible so now to how.

I have 2 280s at the moment and looking for a third. Heck Im not ever sure I have the two cards I own hooked up right... or rather... lets use the word "optimumly"

I read the sticky and its a diagram but I still dont get it. Does one card use the non modular part... then does the second one go in a blue one and third in a black one?

What are the two rails... is rail 1 the blue and rail 2 the black? Or is rail one the top row of blue and blacks and rail 2 the bottom row?

I just dont get it to be honest... the diagram, the everything.

I dropped out of college back in the day because of weak math and I hated the electronics part.. calulating whatever.

Now I have job, make money, spend money on computer, play games... like a modern caveman.

Please I need your help. I admit your smarter than me.

• Corsair Employee
The only thing to be aware of is that you do not want to have 12v1 and 12v2 connections plugged into the same card. With 3 cards, there is only one way to hook them up, since there are only 6 PCIE cables. Card one plugs into the fixed PCIE cables on the PSU, card two plugs into the first two modular connectors which are closest to the fixed PCIE cables, and card three would plug into the 2 remaining modular PCIE cables. Let us know if you have any questions!

great thanks!

I do have a question.

RIght now my first card is plugged into the two hardwired PCIE connectors. My card two is plugged into two adjacent blue connectors... NOT two vertically aligned blue connectors.

According to the diagram on the sticky and according to your previous post.. you say connecting 12V1 and 12V2 on the same card is bad.... like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

Well that is exactly how I have my second card hooked up... there was nothing to tell me in the manual or otherwise this was bad.... to use two adjacent blue connectors.

SO what's the danger? WHy is my system working?

SHould I shut my computer down right now and align them vertically?

• Corsair Employee
I would align them vertically so that they are both on the same rail. Its unlikely that any damage would occur, but it could cause a short and the system would power down if its detected. Since there are multiple rails which are independently regulated the actual voltage of the 2 12v rails could be off slightly, for example, 12v1 could be 11.9v and 12v2 could be 12.2v. If the card is sensitive to this it could pick this up as a short.

Archived