Corsair Community

Core i7 980X@4.27GHz happy, cool, and quiet

kkolbo

If performance meets the need then I would go with that. I just needed a bit more with quieter fans. The shrouds were required to reach the same performance of the stock push pull fans of the H70 when I need to changed to throttled quiet fans.

I received two excellent Noiseblocker S3HS M12 and I am pleasantly surprised. They are a bit better cooling and they make less noise. Their anti-vibration rubber makes assembly easier because the screws are hampered by the rubber. This makes the assembly of H70 even easier. No more screws that want to escape.::pirate::

My solution isn't exactly small :laughing:

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=501

I would think that the lines coming off the top of the radiator would result in air continually entering the pump.

There would have to be a high point in the system for air bubbles to collect?

Yes or No?

I have not seen that to be true. Perhaps internally the lines draw from lower in the assembly. I do not know, but there has not been any issue for me with the H70 or H50 in this position.

Well, I am glad there is not any issue with the hoses on the top.

Here is the post that got me thinking about air in the H70 radiator.

http://www.overclock.net/10537925-post13131.html

Why use Shrouds for? Throttling down one fan and full speed the other? How does it maximize cooling performance?

The eliminate so-called dead spots behind eg. the center of your fans. This gives a little bit better performance but the real advantage is that it produces less noise. 30mm thickness is actually ideal for a 120mm fan :!:

I'm going to kill 2 fans I have in a box around here and use them as shrouds.

Now I just need to know what screws I need.

The eliminate so-called dead spots behind eg. the center of your fans. This gives a little bit better performance but the real advantage is that it produces less noise. 30mm thickness is actually ideal for a 120mm fan :!:

I'm going to kill 2 fans I have in a box around here and use them as shrouds.

Now I just need to know what screws I need.

Long ones...:D:

HA!

I might do that too...I got 120's everywhere. Think I got a 38mm and a 32mm somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith

I am running about the same setup as you (2 noise blockers, 1 Feser shroud on the intake side and a gutted 120 x 25mm fan for the other shroud. every thing is mounted inside the case. have the old h50 and h70 fans mounted in the top as exhaust. running a I7 950 at 3.2 stock.

temps at idle are in the mid thirties. what is your avg. ambient Temp.

mine is about 77 F

I live in Fla. and the temp's here are in the 90's F so we keep the AC on 76 degrees to keep the utility bill under $300 a month in the summer.

Thanks for all the research you did as it gave me many good idea's for my system

Bob

Keith

temps at idle are in the mid thirties. what is your avg. ambient Temp.

mine is about 77 F

I live in Fla. and the temp's here are in the 90's F so we keep the AC on 76 degrees to keep the utility bill under $300 a month in the summer.

Bob

My house stays at about 74F. The air entering the computer case runs about 76-78F most of the time.

My MB temp at idle or load stays between 38-40C.

My CPU case temp idles about 33-34C

My cores idle in the range of 20C for the lowest to 30C for the highest. Core 4 has always runs hot.

I hope that helps you benchmark. There are so many temp locations and types, it can be confusing.

Thanks for the info.

With the slight diff. in ambient Temp we are in about the same range.

changed some fan speeds and taped the area above the rear fan and the idle temps are now 29-30 C.

67 C at full load and 3.7 GHz

my #4 core also runs hotter than the others.

Thanks again for all the help

Bob

Thanks for the info.

With the slight diff. in ambient Temp we are in about the same range.

changed some fan speeds and taped the area above the rear fan and the idle temps are now 29-30 C.

67 C at full load and 3.7 GHz

my #4 core also runs hotter than the others.

Thanks again for all the help

Bob

Yea, I found that taping that vent closed made a difference in the MB temp the most. The top fans were pulling air from the vent instead of up through the case and across the MB.

I don't know about the 950, but I could only get the 930 up to about 3.7 - 3.8GHz before the temps were stupid. I could get it stable but it was throwing ridiculous amounts of heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Cool idea. It would be interesting to see them in action and hear them. It would certainly be easier than installing shrouds.

I am using shrouds on the push and pull. (which may be overkill, but it seems to be working) By using one of these as the pull, with a cone like that, it sounds like it could work well. Unfortunately it would still be a long which makes fitting it difficult.

I just brought a Feser Xtender 120mm Radiator Shroud from FrozenCPU for my H70, since I never used a shroud before I'm not sure where to place it.

The fans on my H70 radiator are doing exhaust (pull push), should I place the shroud in the blue line below, or red line to get the best performance? (Green lines are air flow)

Thanks.

R0010392.thumb.jpg.582045fb1fb616d740a12e966a32ddba.jpg

I just brought a Feser Xtender 120mm Radiator Shroud from FrozenCPU for my H70, since I never used a shroud before I'm not sure where to place it.

The fans on my H70 radiator are doing exhaust (pull push), should I place the shroud in the blue line below, or red line to get the best performance? (Green lines are air flow)

Thanks.

I am not sure which will give you the best performance. The nice thing is, it is easy to try both and see.

My gut tells me that I would put it on the blue side. That way the air is hitting more of the radiator.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith,

Nice temps with the H70!!! I have the same processor but when I overclock to 4.00 GHz the temp increases to >90°C during rendering. I have the same noise blockers (MF12-P) in a push-pool configuration, I have three low speed fans (NB MF12-S1) at the top of the case extracting hot air and the standard fans at the bottom and drive bay. Any ideas about what I should change or is the H70 so much better?

Cheers,

Sander

I am going to assume that you are using an H50. With the noise blocker fans I am using shrouds which help when I am running a lower speeds.

Two things about the temps. Yes the H70 cools better than the H50. Second, you may be sending too much voltage to the processor. That processor heats up in a hurry with a very little additional voltage. I keep my voltage below 1.35v The actual running is 1.34v, but the setting in the bios set using an offset.

KK

• 2 weeks later...

Hey kkolbo I just bought a couple of TFC Xtenders myself and was wondering how to go about installing them. I see in your first post you ended up having to tap the screw holes of your radiator to get the supplied screws to fit. Was that hard to do and is it something a novice could take up?

I'm considering just trying to find some long 6-32 screws but I haven't had any luck yet with the local hardware stores around me.

Hey kkolbo I just bought a couple of TFC Xtenders myself and was wondering how to go about installing them. I see in your first post you ended up having to tap the screw holes of your radiator to get the supplied screws to fit. Was that hard to do and is it something a novice could take up?

I'm considering just trying to find some long 6-32 screws but I haven't had any luck yet with the local hardware stores around me.

Actually I tapped them to 6-32 because I was lazy and had the tools sitting here. The boltss provided with the extender are actually a little too long. I had to add washers and crud as well. If I were not so friggin lazy I would ...

Take the boltss from the H70 to a good hardware store and find out what size and thread they are. It may be here on the website or a quick question to RAMGUY may answer that.

Next measure the length needed. Place the Xtender with the gasket against the radiator with the fan in place and measure the length needed. You do not want more than 1/16th of an inch longer than need if possible because you do not want the boltss extending into the fins of the radiator, although mine do. (I was lazy) A couple of properly sized washers can fix this if needed.

Find the correctly sized bolts at a local hardware store (not a home improvement store) or order them from a place like Bolt Depot.

just a reminder, you don't have to buy a shroud. an inexpensive shroud can also be made if you have some old fans lying around. just cut off the supports to the motor, so that you have the empty ring, and viola, free shroud :biggrin:

erm... that is, if your old fans were faulty in any case

• 1 month later...

Hi Keith,

Not sure if you are still lurking about this post or not...

Does the addition of a shroud on the pull side of the set up help with noise?

Not so worried about cooling, as my setup is all about being quiet.

I can see the shroud on the push side helping out...

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

I ordered the Scythe Ulta Kaze 120 x 38mm fans to use as a push pull on my h60. Will let ya know what im gettin im runnin amd tho. phenom x6 1075t at 3.8ghz per core(6cores) about .8hgz over factory clock. runnin prime95 at 54 degrees. 60 is gettin pretty hot for amd.

Will a shroud add that much flow or that much more efficient cooling? 5 deree drop?

Archived