Corsair Community

So my 850HX might be bad?

pcwolff

Alright, I built a new rig about a year ago. Ever since I built my rig my GPU has always made a sort of noise (high pitched whine) whenever I did anything w/ 3D graphics...gaming, some stuff on websites, etc. I talked to my GPU manufacturer at the time and was told it could be a broken capacitor and that they couldn't do anything about that...so I dealt with it. Now, my GPU seems to be having some more problems, the other day my computer wouldn't start and I had three LEDs on my GPU light up. I once again contacted my GPU manufacturer and they told me that those LEDs indicated that the card isn't getting the power it should. I've fixed the problem temporarily by moving around the connector that go to the GPU but I'm sure that won't last forever since just today I put my computer in "sleep" mode and wasn't able to wake it up (w/ those same LEDs once again lit up). And now the manufacturer of my GPU says that, that whine could have been caused by bad power being delivered to the card by the PSU. Do these all sound like signs of a bad PSU? Because if so I think I need to get it replaced asap. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Its possible that the PSU could be causing the problems, but you won't know for sure unless you can test it in a different system to see if you get the same results. There is nothing that you mentioned that would make me think that its more likely the PSU than the video card itself, I think at this point they are both suspect. If you are able to swap PSUs or graphics cards you should be able to isolate the problem, and if it looks like replacing the PSU will resolve the problem then please Request an RMA.

Archived