Corsair Community

SiS648 problems read here first!

Starlord

CMX512-3200C2 Hello, I'm having some trouble with my memory stick. I just built my 2nd machine and when I first tried to boot up the machine, it won't run, showing the Windows Blue Screen with the words STOP [ BLAH BLAH BLAH ] on the bottom. So, I reformmated and tried to reinstall Windows. But, during the setup, before it is finished, a blue screen just pops up with the message Page_Fault in Non_paged area. I have repeated this at least 10 times. Then I lowered the DRAM mhz to 166mhz. Doesn't work. 133mhz, it does work, reinstalled windows, but 266mhz effectively? That's not up to spec. Then I tried 166mhz again, it loaded with MAJOR stability problems and reboot. I'm running the Asus p4s8x and I have heard people running the module fine at 400mhz with that motherboard. Any clues if this is a defective module or if I'm doing something wrong? Also, if possible, please tell us if this specific module works on the P4S8X motherboard Ram Guy. Thanks!!! Also, If I get a RMA, are the sticks tested just in case they are bad?

I'm having the exact same problem as Starlord. I also have an Asus P4S8X and a stick of CMX512-3200C2. It will run fine at 133mhz, but anything over that is unstable; lock-ups, bsod's, reboots, etc. I've tried various settings at 166mhz and 200mhz with no success. I'd be interested in any info on this problem. Thanks

Hm... I tried something new. I raised to voltage to 2.7V and it works fine at 166mhz. I'm going to try that over that weekend to see if it keeps being stable. But, is it good to raise it at that level Ram Guy? ONe of the faqs said taking it over 2.8V would void the warranty. But this is not the case. So should this be fine? I'm going to try 200mhz later to see if it works. Maybe the P4S8X motherboard requires the memory to run at a higher voltage?

I spoke too soon. It crashes after awhile on 166 @ 2.7v and I tried 200 @ 2.7V, it will get to the log on screen on XP but, it crashes before i type anything (for password). It would be great if RAM guy tested this specfic module to see if it is just us. =)

I'll wait and see as well. I'd hate to RMA a perfectly good stick of RAM. It's been rock solid at 133mhz over the weekend. At 166mhz it reboots within seconds of loading XP. I did, however, find that I could run the RAM in sync with the CPU and push the FSB up to 150 without any problems. Thanks for looking into it. Small update: Finally had the time to do some tinkering and found that at 133mhz and 166mhz(2,3,3,6@2.7v) it performs flawlessly under Memtest86. Fairly confident in the quality of the RAM...wish I could say the same about the MB.

Hey ram guy, On some messages, you are saying the board is just having trouble running 200mhz, but it CAN run 166mhz. But, my stick doesn't even run 166mhz. Should i return this stick and get a PC2700 stick instead or should I RMA this stick and hope for the best? When will you guys be done with the results?

Add me to the list. I've tried all three BIOS. 133Mhz at 2.5, and T1 or T2 are stable at voltages below 2.7. I am not trying to overclock right now, just truing to get it up and running on default settings. In case you didn't know, you may want to look at the hardware monitor in the BIOS and look at your vcore settings. I had to up mine to 1.6 to keep the voltage from dropping below 1.5. This has helped and I can usually run at 166Mhz (CL2.5, T2, voltages tried from auto to 2.7) for an hour or so before all h*** breaks loose. PC reboots or blue screens and then usually reports corruption of system files on the boot drive. Unplugging the PC and resetting the BIOS allows me to reboot. The error message is obviously a memory corruption issue since everything checks out ok once I reset the memory to 133Mhz. No files system errors. Asus probe reports the same fluctuations. Lest you think I have a power supply problem I've used three, A 400watt Antec via ez-plug, an Antec 430 True power and a Enermax 400+ watts. All had the same problem. The last two were connected to the P4 power socket. Three hard drives (2 in a Serial (Serial ATA converter board from CDW and the other attached to the Promise RAID IDE connector in a ATA RAID 0 setup), 1 cd burner and 1 dvd rom, 1 ATI Wonder TV, Thermaltake case with five fans. Current BIOS from [url]www.asuscom.de[/url] I'm using is the 1004v2 beta. I also am awating replies from Asus ciustomer support via e-mail and phone. RAID does not seem to be the issue as it seems I am one of the few using this setup, most folks on Asusboards are using the standard IDE ports and are having similar problems. You may want to check out the threads on ww.asusboards.com. Thanks Bob Flynn

I emailed Asus about the P4S8X. The official reply is try a different memory stick which past the compatibility list. I can't run corsair XMS 512-3200 2.5CL at anything higher than 133. I noticed that the northbridge gets really hot. An yes, the voltage monitoring is showing low cpu voltage. I can run at 166 for a while longer with a fan belowing into the case. But if i stress the system, it will reboot. I hate the fact that there are people who are running at 200 mhz memory speed. So probably just one of those compatibilty issues which hopefully can be resolved with a tweak of the BIOS. Nice board but should have waited for some maturing.

Greetings fellow P4S8X owners. Im having the same problem as most of the people here. I bought the P4S8X 10 days ago here in south-Sweden. Its impossible to run it in 400 mhz mode. But I am able to run it in 333 Mhz mode at CAS 2-2-2-5 T1-Performance mode. ( No other modificatíons in the BIOS) But it crashes about three minutes into 3DMark 2001SE. Nothing helps there ! In Evolva benchmark I can run it for about 7-10 minutes before it stops working. I CAN work with the computer in any way I want to for hours, but benchmarking makes it chrash as I said above. So apart from the benchmark-tests I guess Im pretty lucky !!! I have emailed ASUS about my problems and I think EVERYBODY here should do the same to get them working on the problem. Thanks ! Peter Marschall Sweden P4 2.53 Ghz (No overclocking) with Intel boxed CPU-fan Corsair XMS 3200 Cas 2 @ 2-2-2-5-T1-Performance, 512 MB one stick in Row 1 in 333 mhz mode. Creative Geforce 3 Ti 500 IBM Harddesk 46.1 Gb 7200 rpm Samsung CD-RW 8x8x32 Memorex CD 52 X Sirtech 300 watt (New one) 1 Zalman chassifan 80x80mm at low noise mode, Carefully noisereducted chassi (Noisereductionfoam for cars) Windows XP home edition

I have the P4S8x too, but my problems are not as bad as everyone else it seems. I'm running 2x 512mb sticks of PC2700 XMS on the asus P4S8X and my computer is fine if I don't do too much with it. I can leave it up over night. But if I am working on it and using alot of ram it usually lasts about 5 hours and then I either get a Blue Screen in Win2k, or it reboots. I'm running with all the default settings.

Ram Guy I have the Asus P4S8x with the usual problems with your 3200c2 512 module. Would you suggest waiting for a possible bios fix, or is this un-probable (yes I know I am asking for your crystal ball guess from and experianced person), or alternatley picking up the 533-E or an Abit IT7-Max2 board. Relegating the P4S8X to one of the kids isn't really a major heartache, but I would like to get to the 400 ram speed.

Hey all this is my first post here, great forum BTW. Ive been reading through it heaps while waiting for my Asus P4S8x and Corsair XMS3200 CAS2 to arrive. First of all this RAM rocks! Well made and really looks the part in my PC. Bought it from EYO Technology in Australia. I too have had troubles getting the P4S8x and RAM combo working well, but hopefully this will help you. Initially I could only get DDR266 working reliably, but thankfully at CAS2/2/2/6 performance mode. After much testing and burning in, I noticed that the Nortbridge gets extremely hot at anything at or over DDR333 mode (any timings). Now im running three sets of 80mm fans in my case and active cooling on the Northbridge (something Asus should have definately done). this has allowed me to run DDR333 at CAS2/2/2/6 performance mode perfectly fine in WinXP/Memtest x86 and SiSoft Sandra burn-in. GTA3 and SOF2 are great too. I believe that most peoples BSODs or reboots are due to the Northbridge getting too hot to keep operating stably. Can others confirm this for me ? Most of the time I can POST at DDR400 mode CAS 2 but MemTest x86 will crash with an exception fault. My specs are as follows; A-Open H600B black case (300w PSU) Asus P4S8x m/b with RAID (raid disabled for the moment) Intel P4 2.53ghz CPU (SL6EV stepping) at Vcore of 1.575 for stability 3x 80mm cooling fans and 1x active Northbridge fan 1x 80g 7200rpm WD JB HDD 8mb cache LiteOn 48x48x12 CDRW IDE Pioneer 6x DVD IDE 1x Corsair XMS3200 CAS2 512mb MS USB mouse and Logitech USB gamepad Sony 19" FD CRT monitor Asus GF2 MX400 64mb (with SiS AGP driver v1.10) P4S8x BIOS revision 1004.002. Best of luck everyone, I'll try and keep you up to date with my adventures :-) Hopefully soon Asus will issue a more reliable BIOS to play with. BTW, did anyone receive a copy of WinCinema OEM software with their P4S8x, mine was suppose to but didnt. Am getting my supplier to chase it up.

RamGuy, Thanks for at least letting us know something is being done about it. You have a customer for life in me! BTW, I'm running XMS3200 CL2.5 256 @ 333, 2 2 2 5 T1. Unfortunately that's about all I can get out of it on this board. I guess I should actually be thankful looking at everyon else's problems.

The editor of OCWORKBENCH has a contact as ASUS who is willing to help us out but he needs more information. Please post all of your issues with the board at: [url]http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=30&t=000419[/url]

TRY LEAVE EVERYTHING@ DEFAULT CHANGE SDRAM: ASYNCHRONOUS LOWER SPEED TO 100 GET XP INSTALLED GO BACK AND TWEAK PS: OLD COMPUTER CASES WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS BOARD!! RF SHIELDING CAUSES PROBLEMS. ' IF YOUR NOT SURE: REMOVE MOTHERBOARD FROM CASE AND LEAVE ON TOP OF CASE AND RUN:::IF PROBLEM GOES AWAY LIKE IT DID FOR ME ;GET A NEW CASE

Finally guys. A review that echos all of the problems that everyone has been having regarding this mobo. Check out the review here: [url]http://www.extremetech.com/article2...3,582960,00.asp[/url] PS To the guy who took his out of the case.... I have a new case and tried what you said with no results. Thanks for the idea though. :confused:

New Bios for the P4S8X 1004 [url]ftp://ftp.asustek.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_478/SIS_Chipset/SIS_648/P4S8X/[/url] Comments here [url]http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25618&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url]

Archived