Corsair Community

Is the P256 just decoration for the PC?

Senvae

Hi, I purchased a Corsair P256 SSD less than 6 months ago. First one I had was defectuous, Windows 7 kept freezing until the drive eventually died. That was after 1 month of usage, maybe less. Now I've managed to make the new one last a few more months, but the same kind of freezes are happening all over again.

So before my SSD dies again and I am left computer-less AGAIN! I wanted to find out how many people out there actually have this problem with the P256. I saw many user reviews on computer parts websites where customers claimed to have the same problem as me.

All I can say is that I paid over 4k for my computer tower, including that drive, and I am getting extremely irritated with these long waiting periods of no usage. I do everything with this computer: videos, movies, music, games, phone, emails, web, and ... oh yeah.... WORK!!!! I am getting fed up of defect parts. First it was Logitech who made my blacklist, but now it's Corsair. I think they should just buy me another SSD from another company, of the same size (256g), so I can have a working computer for once! I am not interested in replacing this SSD for ANOTHER SAME SSD that will just eventually CRASH!! Especially since I'll be paying yet more SHIPPING CHARGES!!!! I paid almost 900$ for this drive, plus 10$ of shipping every 3-4months, including a month long waiting to use your computer again? Is that what this drive really costs, cus that should be in the product description, seriously.

In fact, I wouldn't mind getting a confession from Corsair, they should just admit this drive is crap and stop selling it, RECALL IT!

Well it's been a few months, and it worked great at first, but it's still under warranty. Also, I don't remember if I updated the firmware, I think I did, I remember going through this the first time I was experiencing this issue.

Is it too much to ask to have a product work without doing some tech work on it? Maybe they should just give me the parts and I'll build it myself while we're at it.

• Corsair Employees

The Performance Series SSD's are Samsung SSD's made for us and have proven to be dependable and durable in fact its used by many OEM's for that reason. If you have had two fail I would suspect some other cause.

Have you tried to Secure erase the drive like with Parted Magic and do a fresh install or Image?

So there is stuff written on the drive right out of the box? I have to erase that before installing windows or else it will crash in due time? I haven't done anything (both times) with the ddrive besides installing windows on it and other software. I haven't tried to re-install windows, or format it, or update it, or modify it. All I did was take it out of the box, plugging it, installing the updated firmware (second time only), and then installing windows. If the product doesn't work right out of the box it should be advertised with the product features. You know how some children's toys have to specify that batteries are not included? Something like that. I love buying premium performance parts, and so far my Corsair RAM has pleased me, but I wouldn't have bought this drive if I had known how much trouble it would be. I want a fast gaming computer but I don't want to be stuck doing extensive tech tweaking and guides reading just to have something work properly.

How often am I supposed to be doing this "secure erase" in order to keep this drive running? Cus re-installing windows every 3 months is going to be a pain. How much does "Parted Magic" cost? Is it a freeware? If this program is necessary in order to have this product function properly, I think it should be included in the box, or advertised that such a purchase or necessity is required.

Well I just looked up on the official Corsair website for tech support, and here are the questions they asked me before going to the RMA request form:

Here are some common tips that you should try before proceeding with an RMA Submission.

Q: What settings, if any, do I need to adjust in my system BIOS for optimal SSD performance?

A: Enabling AHCI in your system BIOS is the only setting we recommend adjusting for optimal SSD performance.

Q: Are Corsair SSD drives compatible with SATA I?

A: All Corsair SSD drives are compatible with both SATA I and SATA II.

Q: Will I get the full benefit of having a Corsair SSD drive installed on my machine if it only supports SATA I?

A: The SATA I spec is slower than most Corsair SSD drives. You would get the best performance from a Corsair SSD drive from a system with SATA II.

Q: Do I need to tweak my operating system to get my Corsair SSD drive to run at optimal performance?

A: No settings within your operating system need to be adjusted for a Corsair SSD drive to run at optimal performance.

Q: What about services or programs in my operating system such as indexing, pre-fetching, write-caching, defrag etc?

A: Corsair SSDs require no maintenance programs or operating system tweaks

Q: What programs can Corsair recommend to test the performance of my Corsair SSD?

A: ATTO, CrystalDiskMark, HDTune, SiSoft Sandra and Everest are all very good benchmarks of your SSD performance.

Q: Are there any platforms that may have issues with SSD drives?

A: There are no known issues with Corsair SSDs and any SATA I or SATA II compatible platforms. We are constantly testing compatibility with legacy, current and new platforms to ensure compatibility.

Did this solve your problem?

So in other words, I shouldn't have to deal with any extra software to get this drive to work right?

If you are hitting the SSD with allot of writing to the drive you will eventually wear down the nand chips, and as you have stated in your first post you are yousing your PC hard.

You should consider moving some temporary writing activity to a normal HDD to save write cycle's to the SSD.

There are a lot of guides on the net on how to mow paging files, tmp files browser cash, and other twakes on another drive.

So what you're saying is that SSDs are not ready for common usage yet? I save up all my media and documents on HDD, and operate software with my SSD, and that's not acceptable? Why would I pay 900$ for 256gigs that can barely handle being a system drive? Then I would move all my temp files on the main HDD, maybe install my games on HDD, and my drive would die in 3 years instead of 3 months, 1 year after my warranty expired.

• Corsair Employees

Senvae,

The user E46Johnny is trying to explain some of the basic limitations using and SSD drive. There are differences compared to using a spinning HDD. The performance boost with SSD are well worth the extra maintenance. But to get the most out of your hardware its best that you understand its limitations. And he has made some good suggestions in that direction I would encourage you to do a bit more research that will help you better understand what E46Johnny is trying tell you.

So what you're saying is that SSDs are not ready for common usage yet? I save up all my media and documents on HDD, and operate software with my SSD, and that's not acceptable? Why would I pay 900$ for 256gigs that can barely handle being a system drive? Then I would move all my temp files on the main HDD, maybe install my games on HDD, and my drive would die in 3 years instead of 3 months, 1 year after my warranty expired.

If you are going to hit the SSD with a lot of writing and bench testing you will quickly have written data to all the available nand cells in your drive.

When all the nand cells have bin written to, even if it is just temporary files, the MLC type nand will have to start what is referd to as a read-modify-write proses, and this will slow the write performance down.

When you mow the pagingfiles, tempfiles, resyklebin, browsercash, and otter temporary files of your SSD there will be allot less writing to the nand, and this will make the drive last longer and keep the high write performance longer.

Trim in Windows 7 will help, and so will the "garbage collect" system in the controller level of the SSD,

Some of the "garbage collect" on the SSD works quite fast, as in the indilinks controller, otters takes a little longer to do the jobb.

If you are going to use the SSD like a HDD then you should go fore a SLC nand SSD, they are as the name says single level cells and therefore don't have to do the read-modyfi-write proses, and as a enterprise quality drive it will be built of higher quality parts, but that cain of quality com`s whit a premium prize tag.

regards

Johnny

Wow, you know your stuff Johnny. I'm a computer enthusiast but I never dove into SSDs yet. This is my first.

What I did for now is follow this tutorial: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85344

But it seems I was unable to recover the data after my SSD was wiped clean. So I had to re-install Windows 7. Which isn't a HUGE deal, since I keep all my media and precious pictures on separated HDDs. However I do hate having to re-install all the video/audio codecs, software, drivers. I also had a strange problem, where after installing Windows 7 on the SSD, I restarted the PC from Windows 7, and accessed the bios to remove boot priority from my BDRom, and all of a sudden, my PC wouldn't open windows, said there were no bootable devices. So before starting the installation, I decided to boot PArted Magic again and secure erase again to make sure the install would be clean. Now P.M. gave me a message before erasing saying my bios had put my SSD into a freeze state. I didn't know what that meant, but at least my PC boots up without the windows CD and everything is fine again.

This is my first day with the freshly erased drive, no freezing yet, but it did only happen once or twice a day so it could still happen anytime. So far so good though.

In my opinion though, SSDs should come with a manual for new SSD users so they would know how to keep their SSDs alive. Perhaps a software CD with a program like Parted Magic and Acronis (or etc). If this truly fixed my freezing, than it's more than a "speed freak" behavior to constantly erase their drive, it's a necessity!

You are experiencing the same problems which a lot of people have with SSD drives, in order to run an SSD drive efficiently you do have change some of the settings in the OS to make the SSD perform and run as designed, they are yet to become a simple plug and play replacement for a hard drive. Don't rant on about corsair being crap just because you have had a bad experience, if this is the second drive that's gone bad consider that it's your setup and not the drive that caused the issue.

You are experiencing the same problems which a lot of people have with SSD drives, in order to run an SSD drive efficiently you do have change some of the settings in the OS to make the SSD perform and run as designed, they are yet to become a simple plug and play replacement for a hard drive. Don't rant on about corsair being crap just because you have had a bad experience, if this is the second drive that's gone bad consider that it's your setup and not the drive that caused the issue.

I followed the guides about enabling TRIM and the bios, updated the firmware. If there is anything more I need to do, that is so dramatic that it will KILL my drive, then perhaps I am at fault. So far though, I can't find anything bad about my setup. No one has really been jumping on the opportunity to help me out with that either.

Is there anything else that needs to be done after: enabling AHCI in the Bios, enabling TRIM, and updating the firmware before installation? Something so important that it would go beyond simply reducing my drive speed, but actually DESTROY IT!! The first time I had these symptoms, the drive eventually became a paperweight, there was nothing that could be done with it.

I am stuck with my 800$ purchase, so if you know something, don't be shy.

Ok lets see what we can do.;):

"Secure erase" your drive to reset the nand memory to factory fresh,

Corsair should recommend the proper tool fore this.

Sett bios to default settings and save. ( no overclocking )

Disconnect all drives.

Remove power cable and press power button several times to drain capacitors, and then clear cmos.

Leave power of for ca 30 - 60 minutes.

Connect only the SSD and your optical drive.

Set bios to AHCI.

Install windows.

Install the newest chipset drivers for your controller.

When windows is installed, connect your other drives, and start tweaking.

This should help eliminate some conflicts that might other wise occur.

ps. If you have the opportunity to reformat and repartition your HDDs, that could also help.

• Corsair Employees

Then you can use the link on the left and request an RMA and we will replace it.

E46Johnny

"Secure erase" your drive to reset the nand memory to factory fresh,

Corsair should recommend the proper tool fore this.

Ram Guy

I would suggest using Parted Magic to secure erase the drive.

Archived