Corsair Community

My PC strangely shutdown/restart suddenly...

ddong

Hello,

As the title said, my PC shutdown suddenly after few hours. It started today, and happened again when i got back home and used it. I'm not sure it's the power supply, but i guess..?

There has been a strange thuing before : When i did plug more than 4 hard drives at same time, one of them will simply shutdown, just like lack of power... But my PC is far from taking the 450W!

Appart from that, i never had a trouble and eveything worked perfectly! So i really hope to get help soon, and hope if i have to return it'll be fast... You can guess a 10' netbook is quite annoying for "intensive" use :sigh!:

EDIT! Oh i forgot, another strange thing: The 3.3V is actually @3.2V, don't know if it's too bad or... Another thing (but this one might be totally off topic) yesterday i smelt a very little burnt smell... I couldn't find where it comes from, but if it was it, the PC wouldn't start! Could it the be local plug?

Some easy tips.

Voltage related problem.

With the low voltages you are seeing i think you should consider a more powerful power supply, as others here have suggested.

Test!!

#1 If you remove some of the Hdds ore other components that is not necessary to test the PC, will the voltages in bios increase???

If the voltages increases when you have removed some of the load from the psu you now that the Psu is not up fore the jobb.

If voltages is the same with the reduce load, there might be some problem with the voltage regulation in the psu.

Temperature related problem.

Test!!!

#2 Is the psu hot when the pc is shutting down?

#3 have you cleaned the psu? ( blowing out the dust )

#4 How long must you wait before the pc will start again?

#5 Is the fan working properly?

I`me not sure but there are usually some thermal protection in the psu that turns it of when it reach a preset temperature, when cooled down it will work again.

I checked all those things already, all are perfectly ok. My configuration does't consume more than 300w, please check some review to see how much a similar computer with QuadCore and more RAM will consume, you'll be surprised.

yesterday i smelt a very little burnt smell... I couldn't find where it comes from, but if it was it, the PC wouldn't start! Could it the be local plug?

Smell like Schottky Barrier Rectifiers in power supply are begining to fail.

I had to repair mind, the part cost about $6 plus shipping, but must know how to repair circuit boards.

Can you answer me about my shipping question please? Do you think the problem could come from the electric network (so not from the PC)? I have another PC but it's another generation, so comsumption would be totally different, not good for testing.

Archived