Corsair Community

AX850 80Plus Gold Certified !?

roragnarok

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_detail.aspx?id=25&type=2

Hello:

I'd like to purchase the "Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850"

I saw on your website it has been certified as 80Plus Gold by the organization http://www.80plus.org.

However I could not find a single references or links about the unit CMPSU-850AX on the above link.

Is there some difficulties or problems with that 80plus is unable (avoid any confusions) to provide a test report ????

I just read this review by jonnyguru.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=197

Quote "One thing to note is a strange electrical noise I heard during test 3. Once I proceeded to test 4, the noise went away. "

This is one of the worst I can expect from a PSU because I have such experience this type of noise will driving any human being "INSANE".

I have a psu from another brand on another PC it does exactly this during standby, as well as during operation if used with another motherboard.

This is exactly the reason why I need a PSU replacement without such fault.

Another quote "If we look at test 3, 5 and 8 (20%, 50% and 100%), we can see that we just missed the 80 Plus Gold criteria (87%, 90%, 87%) with this unit. Instead, we have very respectable silver performance."

This looks bad enough. I won't buy this PSU.

• Corsair Employees

This is one of the worst I can expect from a PSU because I have such experience this type of noise will driving any human being "INSANE".

I have a psu from another brand on another PC it does exactly this during standby, as well as during operation if used with another motherboard.

This is exactly the reason why I need a PSU replacement without such fault.

Good luck with that.

Your PSU makes a noise at stand by... this one made a noise at 20% load... it's luck of the draw. You can read a review of a PSU, see no mention of noise, get it home and then get a noise on your particular PC because you're loading it up differently than the reviewer did.

Another quote "If we look at test 3, 5 and 8 (20%, 50% and 100%), we can see that we just missed the 80 Plus Gold criteria (87%, 90%, 87%) with this unit. Instead, we have very respectable silver performance."

This looks bad enough. I won't buy this PSU.

The PSU did 89.6% efficiency instead of 90%. Are you serious?

Keep reading:

"The numbers are so close, it's barely worth mentioning. Different variables come into play that could cause the efficiency to be slightly different between my unit and the one that 80 Plus tested, such as how the loads are distributed across the rails or how well the connection is between the modular cables and the PSU body or the connection between the connectors and the load tester itself."

That's right I'm that serious.

Because I hate the extreme screeching noise from any PSU.

If the unit could do 80P Gold then it would have exceeded that expectations to the minimum at least, plus I am not saying this PSU is very very bad, IMO, I can not tolerate such electrical noise anymore especially it is bothering me for almost year and half by now (or longer I seem to loose my memory as to when exactly it started to happen I think was beginning of 2007 or 08).

As well as, I think the price is also out of the range of what I expected manufactured by SS, in terms of comparisons of other units from that particular manufacturer.

BTW, do you know what long term effects of exposure to such electrical noise?

The high pitched noise from the other brand psu goes like this, it cycles high to low (in audible spectrum range of a human being) and in infinite loops while during PC sleep mode.

• Corsair Employees

Because I hate the extreme screeching noise from any PSU.

Well good news. There was no screeching noise coming from the AX850 I reviewed either.

If the unit could do 80P Gold then it would have exceeded that expectations to the minimum at least...

No. Not it wouldn't have.

If you want an RMA the link's on the left.

I've just got brand new "Corsair Professional Series HX850W PSU"

And this unit produce a low pitched "MMMMM" noise constantly when:

1. PSU switch is at OFF state.

2. PSU switch is at ON state.

3. The Desktop PC is at Windows 7 x64 Sleep mode (Standby state).

I mean, I haven't noticed such problem when I bought the HX750W two months ago.

Is this strange low pitched audible noise "MMMMMM" Normal ?????

Read the stickies in this area. Noise could be caused by a BIOS setting. could also be line issue.

Hello,

This morning, I was investigating the source of 'hum' noise and found it was coming from the BASS of my 5.1 speaker system... which is just placed below the table where the PC is located...

I guess I misdiagnosed the problem. My sincere apologies about previously said 'M' noise.

After disconnecting the speaker from main power the "hum" noise stopped, and I placed my ears right against the Corsair HX850W PSU I can hear a very very faint electrical type noise ticking while system standby (the sort of noise that's coming from high voltage power lines at raining days), but that's a negligible problem because I can't hear it.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate.

Archived