Corsair Community

H50 Installed, Computer won't start

Sah

hi,

I recently installed my brand new H50, following the instructions to the letter. The first time i turned it on, it worked ok, but the CPU temp. was 88 degrees (therefore i immediately shut down the PC); it turned out i had put the corsair intake fan as an out take, however, when i swapped this around, (i also tightened some of the screws slightly on the frame), the computer now fails to start. I have tried re installing the h50 several times, and have tried different tightnesses of the screws to no avail.

Every time i turn my computer on, the neon lights from the case flash on, the fans spin once and then it goes off. To get it to start up in this manner again i must unplug the power and re plug it in. Is it possible that the H50 has damaged my Processor after I got it working the first time ?

Thanks.

(I filled in my pc specs on the form during registration)

Check the connections on your case fans. 12V molex connections can short. I have had this happen nearly every time I tear down my system and rebuild. My heart stops everytime, thinking that I might have fried something, but a patient check and clean up of all my 12V connections has always fixed the problem.

Check the connections on your case fans. 12V molex connections can short. I have had this happen nearly every time I tear down my system and rebuild. My heart stops everytime, thinking that I might have fried something, but a patient check and clean up of all my 12V connections has always fixed the problem.

i don't quite understand, you mean, on my case (an antec 900 2), there are 4 fans, 2 on the front, 1 at the rear and one on top. I have only touched the rear connection, and i swapped that fan out for the corsair fan. Should i check down the wires for signs of tearing or what? i just don't understand :) .

thanks .

How are your fans powered? Are your case fans connected to your mobo headers, or are they powered by 12V molex connectors? I ask, because I've had problems with these in the past. If the fan that you replaced is connected by a 12V molex, I would closely check that connection. Try powering that fan with other connections: a different 12V molex, mobo headers, etc. Hope this helps.

well my psu is an ocz600w and fairly new (1 - 2 years), so i assume they will be molex 12v looking at some pictures.

After some further messing, however, i have managed to get it to stay on for as long as i like, the downside of this being that i had to remove all the screws from my motherboard and remove my graphics card and sounds card. I realise the graphics card is the most likely culprit here, but i've never ever had problems with it in the past .. what do you guys think?

What makes you think that it's your graphics card? You state that you've never had problems with it before. I would try reinstalling the GPU and running with your mobo outside your case. If ever runs without problem, then again this points to a short, either with your mobo/case, or molex 12v connectors.

The only time I have had the issue with the system powering on (fans, harddrives, lights), but, the computer won't boot was when it was requiring more power than my PSU was giving. This happened when I had a cheaper 500w PSU. Even though it should have had the power for the newer video card I had bought, it wasn't stable enough and just wouldn't boot.

I think you installed the H50 incorrectly or moved the processor and you are in thermal shutdown mode. Removing devices and making it more open air gives you just enough cooling to run at a reduced speed.

I would take everything apart and start by rebuilding the system from the motherboard up. Install the motherboard. Reinstall the CPU and make sure remove all the thermal paste and put fresh thermal paste on the CPU. Install and wire all other parts. Even take the memory out and reinstall it. Reinstall all wiring making sure all the contacts are correct and line up.

Another question? Did you remove the old thermal paste from the CPU and did you use the Corsair H50 pad? Did you add any new thermal paste? If you used your own thermal paste...what kind did you use?

Archived