Corsair Community

Can A70 fit in an Asus P7P55D-E Pro?

Paul in Boston

Hi,

I am putting a system together and I am pretty sure on what motherboard I want to use (Asus P7P55D-E PRO), and am trying to figure out what memory and cooler that will not block any of the memory slots.

So far it's looking like G. Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ for memory and so I want to make sure that the cooler I get will allow me to use all 4 memory slots.

I have already purchased an i7-870 that the cooler would be used with that CPU.

I really like the A70 so can anyone tell me if they've seen or know whether that combination would work so I could use all 4 of the ram slots?

Also if anyone thinks a better cooler could be used. I am very open to any ideas.

Thank You,

Paul in Boston

It did fit with no room to spare. The inside fan completely covers the first ram slot and just infringes into the second slot. My ram (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) just fits underneath the fans so it won't be a problem for me but if you have Dominators or anything taller than mine then it's a problem, providing you want to use all 4 slots. The nice part is that when I decide to add the other 2 slots, all I have to do is unclip the fan to get access.

I don't know if I can upload a photo as a (well positioned) photo shows it better, I will do that. So far the temps hover around 32 degrees or so and under a short prime95 they didn't seem to go past the high 50s. My results aren't totally useful as the case is open and cable management and organization aren't anywhere to be found.

I know there are a million variables such as what case a person is using and the memory etc. but I only found one vendor who made the effort to show what motherboard their cooling product was compatible with. Granted they had to because it's a major monster and I think we all know which one I speak of but I know the name will be removed so I won't bother saying it.

I always try to use Corsair as it's always meant high quality and support which means a lot to me but this research/install and having to watch other websites install videos to get information about your product has been frustrating. I hope somebody creates a good a50/70 install video as they are very useful and would save you guys customer support time and encourage sales.

Before I get flamed for whining, I understand how quickly things are changing and trying to keep up with it all as a manufacturer must be hard. I do much researching on the web before I buy my pc products, BUT the Corsair brand has always implied a higher standard of quality, workmanship and support.

I just don't want to see the Corsair brand lose it's edge over all the less expensive and shoddy crap that is coming out now. (Not your stuff)

So far the A70 seems to be working well on my my i7 870 and Cooler Master 840 case and if anybody wants any info, please feel free to ask. I will share whatever I can.

Thank you Corsair for this great product

Paul in Boston

I just installed A70 on my Asus Rampage III extreme recently and have a similar problem where the push fan of A70 completely block off the 1st ram slot and press right up against my Dominator GT in the 2nd slot.

So I ordered Scythe Slip Stream Slim from Amazon to replace the existing fan. The slim is only 12mm thick, half the thickness of 25mm Corsair fan. I'll update on how well it goes when I receive the fan.

Ideally I'd like to replace both 3 pin fans with PWM 4 pin fans in the future, my motherboard has the feature of modulating speed of PWM fans based on temperature.

The Sythe slim works really well. It's not any noticeably louder than the original fan and pushes a decent amount of air. I now have just enough space to use the ram slot 1 on my mobo.

Perhaps for the future iteration Corsair should consider an asymmetrical design. Spending $10 more for a fan almost brings up the total price to the H50 range.

Meta,

You may want to find out if both fans must be matched in rpm/cfm specs. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that in push-pull setups that both fans needed to be the same or that an "imbalance of air flow would occur"?

I am hardly an expert in all this but it may be worth finding out. So far I am having great temps. I am not overclocking or really putting it through it's paces but running everything and I can't seem to even get it up into the 40's temp wise.

I ran Prime95 for about 30 minutes and it got up to the mid to high 50s.

I have been hoping that my TIM job was good as I did not look forward to having to remove the motherboard to remount this as the purported convenience opening in the case bottom just missed the mounting holes for the P7P55D-E Pro board. Oh well...good intentions on Cooler Master's part.

Good luck with your new fans.

Paul

The Sythe fan I bought SY1212SL12H has an air flow rating of 45.47 CFM. The Corsair fan is 50 - 61 CFM depend on which cable you use. But I'm not too worried because looking at the top air cooler on the market right now, the Noctua NH-D14, its 3 fan set up has a bigger fan in the middle which has a different CFM than the two smaller fans at front and back.

The Sythe fan has since then sold out on amazon and it doesn't look like they are going to restock it. I'm going to wait until some Manufacturer start to offer PWM fans in < 25mm profile to upgrade. So far I haven't been able to find any.

At the moment I'm happy with my A70 performance. I'll have to reinstall the thing eventually, since I didn't use the rubber washer or the plastic separator when I installed it for the first time. The instruction was very poor IMO.

Meta,

I too was confused about no mention of the rubber washers and saw them shown on another website's review so just followed their instructions. It always amazes me how company's put out products with stuff like that slipping through. I'm no business person but I'm sure a lot of money gets spent on R&D and marketing etc. and then to not finish it off so it shows off the quality and workmanship that I've at least found with Corsair products in the past. The A70 is built very well and I could not be happier with it.

I do sympathize with companies like Corsair because the competition and product turnover is crazy. I got 4 years out of my old core 2 duo and I hope to get some good lifetime out of this pc which is why I chose Corsair products to begin with.

Let me warn you that when you do reseat the bracket that those black washers jump like fleas while you are trying to keep all 4 legs going into the holes at equal depth as you mount it. I would try not to do it on a dark carpet as half my time was spent finding the buggers that jumped off. Maybe you could use something sticky to hold the black washers to the clear plastic piece.

Paul

Archived