Corsair Community

Modular socket question

Chyronn

i just bought an HX850W and i was wondering what kind of socket is used for the modular ports on the PSU itself. the reason i ask is i want to make my own cables that have one modular cable and only one Molex connector, short of actually chopping off the supplied cables (which i don't want to do) does anyone know the socket type?

I can't speak for the HX850, but the HX1000 uses the standard 6-pin PCIe and 8-pin ATX AUX power connectors. You can pick some up here:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_164&products_id=2560

or here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6008/ele-268/FrozenCPU_ConnectRight_8-pin_12V_EPS_Power_Connector_-_Black_ACR-CB0618.html?tl=g51

Don't forget extra pins and a crimper. (And make sure that you lable the cable for the PSU, so in the future you know which PSU there for.)

thanks for the info. not sure but i think the HX850 might use a different socket type. just to clarify, i'm talking about the socket/connector used on the PSU itself.

EDIT: you're right, i just tried connecting a 6pin PCIe socket back into the PSU and it fits. it's not an exact match but i'm hoping it might still make proper contact with the metal pins inside.

Hello, does anyone know the pinouts for the black sockets on the HX850? since the modular cables are assembled without any identifying colours (yellow = 12V, black = 0V, Red =5V).

i don't really want to take a multimeter to it unless it's absolutely safe to do so.

upon further research i stand corrected. only modifying fixed cables will void the warranty.

i did remember reading about sleeving voiding but it only applys to fixed cables apparently.

truly sorry for the confusion if i caused any ;)

Here is the official answer:

Modifying the modular cables will not void the warranty.

If you modify the fixed cables, this will void your warranty. Removing the connectors, desoldering, cutting wires, etc constitutes modifying.

Archived