Corsair Community

P series ssd versus F series ssd

Hi guys,

I am just about to purchase a SSD for the first time and have decided upon CMFSSD-64GBG2D(pseries 64gb) and the CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT(F series 64gb). Its probably a silly question but could someone tell me the difference between the P series and the F series of drives. One has the samsung controller and the other has the sandforce controller, i dont really know the difference but want to order as soon as possible to build my system.

cheers all

If I could supply a quick overview:

Corsair P-series SSD Features

CMFSSD-64GBG2D (pseries 64gb)

Maximum sequential read speed 220MB/s

Maximum sequential write speed 180MB/s

Samsung ARM controller (S3C29RBB01) and MLC NAND flash for compatibility and consistent performance

128MB DRAM cache and NCQ support for stutter-free performance

Garbage collection

TRIM support - with new firmware

[/Quote]

Corsair F-series SSD Features

CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT (F series 64gb)

Maximum sequential read speed 285MB/second

Maximum sequential write speed 275 MB/second

Sandforce SF-1200 controller and MLC NAND flash for fast performance

Sandforce DuraClass Technology (DuraWrite, Wear leveling, RAISE, Block Management/Garbage Collection.)

TRIM support

IMHO:

The Sandforce-based products definitely look good theoretically, and have a great feature set, and the reviews for this controller have been mostly positive thanks to its higher than average read and write throughput. Some seriously rockin' I/O's. However the Sandforce controllers are relatively new, and there have been several issues on the web regarding Sandforce based SSD's 'dropping out' of systems and 'disappearing' from OS for no reason, especially after hibernate or suspend. It's possibly the only CON for the Sandforce. I'm not saying you'll experience this problem, I'm merely saying it *could* be a possibility. :winking:

The Samsung ARM controllers offer good read performance, acceptable write performance, and SOLID reliability. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to find any articles regarding Samsung-controller based SSD's giving unusual problems. Think of the Samsung controller as a marathon runner: not the fastest, doesn't rely on all the bells and whistles, but it IS solid and reliable and will keep on going without hassles for the lifetime of the product. :D:

Anyway, my 2-cents. Your mileage many vary.

PS: I'm sure any errors, gaps in my summery and opinions will be filled-in and corrected by the very helpful staff and members here on the forum.

• Corsair Employees

Milton0727,

I would have to say that is a fair assessment of both drives, but I would point out the Faster Force series are based on newer technology and like many new technology's there may be a few things that crop up but will get resolved.

The errors I have seen are as you stated mostly dealing with low power standby IE wake from S3/S1 and not every configuration. Not taking anything away from any one having problems just we have sold a large number of these drives and yes while there are some having problems the number is small compared to the number of drives sold. And most are not having problems.

Thanks for the replies, I think i will go with the F series drive as I like the idea of the faster read/write speeds. I am only going to use it as a boot drive with windows 7 and a couple of applications that i use constantly on it. I will use my old 1tb standard drive for holding all my photos,music etc. Cant wait to try these drives out..... im really looking forward to it.

Thanks again :)

Archived