Corsair Community

constant event id 11 upon insertion of corsair voyager gt 16 gb in windows 7

Aleksandras

Each time I insert my favorite corsair voyager gt 16 GB into usb I get 3 or 4 errors in event log.

I encounter this error constantly only on windows 7, no such errors on vista or xp. That means usb drive is ok and there is something with compatibility?

I do not believe that company did not notice this constant mistake yet. Take a new usb drove GT 16 gb and insert it into any pc running windows 7. Then open event log.

Would be nice to get an answer how to resolve this issue and avoid this mistake.

Regards,

Alex

Log Name: System

Source: Disk

Date: 8/10/2010 2:48:08 AM

Event ID: 11

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: VAIO

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Disk" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-09T23:48:08.695258800Z" />

<EventRecordID>5681</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>VAIO</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>\Device\Harddisk3\DR3</Data>

<Binary>0E04680001000000000000000B0004C003010000000000000000000000082D00000000000000000071D2030000000000FFFFFFFF060000004000000000000000FF0006120C000010000000003C0000000000000040DCD98600000000E076FB86000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employees
On a Windows XP System please try and for the drive with the SD-CARD Organization. Then test it in the Windows 7 system again and see if that helps. If not, please go to device manager with that drive connected and then remove it from the Disk Drives list then disconnect any USB devices and under Device manager/USB controllers remove everything from the bottom up and restart the system that will force re-install of the USB Mass Storage drivers

Thank you for trying to help. No go. Tried even full format and other options on xp vista and 7, The same very stable mistake. I have plenty of other usb drives and they do not produce this error. I have 5 corsair usb drives and they ALL produce this event id 11 in windows 7 ONLY. So the problem seems to be not in the usb drives or corrupted system install for sure but most probably it is compatibility problem.

I do not believe Corsair company still did not notice that problem and I believe they should supply a fix or something else.

I wanted to buy new corsair voyager 32 gb gtr for my sister as I think that corsair usb drives are very cute fast and durable. But that incompatibility now stops me from doing that. And I think company can loose some costumers noticing this error from future buyings.

I am open for any new suggestions and I think that someone should report this error to the company,

Regards,

Alex

event id 11 not 51 as in the link

I do not prefer devices messing up event log and I believe I won't be alone here

It is better not to ignore a mistake but fix it before you loose value data, don't you think? If I would prefer to ignore mistakes I wouldn't post here at all.

Thank you anyway,

Alex

Did you try the Panasonic Format Tool I suggested on an XP System, just using the default format options?

YES. I tried this tool on 3 different computers running xp with different hardware. Error is stable on ALL my corsair usb drives under windows 7.

They all can not be defected for sure. No mistakes on vista and xp, only on windows 7. So we need from the company either updated driver or firmware because I do not believe nobody from the company did not notice this event in the event log yet.

Could someone try to plug corsair gt usb drive into usb port on pc running windows 7 and check the event log? The 3 or 4 the same events with id 11 will be there.

So why should I treat this like a normal behaviour if other usb drives do not produce this error. I do not think it's formating. Most probabaly from the link you posted it is transfer rate settings or something else meaning the firmware should be updated or controller driver rewritten. But why this driver fails only with corsair usb drives? I liked them so much...

Thank you for trying to help! Any other ideas how to inform the company or else?

Regards,

Alex

hey just out of curiosity from a fresh pair of eyes...

the error is for a harddisk according to the posts here, but its a USB drive!

how about trying to temporarily disconnect any other harddrive except your sytem drive and see if the error still happens because the error is for harddisk3 which i find odd.

process of elimination is your best bet especially if its just 1 PC that has this issue. if all the windows7 computers kicked this error when the Corsair flash drive is inserted im sure the forum would be flooded with hundreds of complaints yet yours is the first one ive seen here with this issue.

would you mind giving that a try?

Could someone try to plug corsair gt usb drive into usb port on pc running windows 7 and check the event log? The 3 or 4 the same events with id 11 will be there.

This probably won't help much, but I have a 32GB GTR, 32GB Voyager, 8GB Voyager and retail Windows 7 x64.

When I plug them in, I get no errors in Event Viewer. I don't have a GT to try.

I did once get the same error, but it was for an external eSata drive I built.

I don't know if it was a Windows Update or what, but it doesn't do it any more.

Windows 7 is a lot more finicky with hardware.

@Synthohol

harddisk3 is usb drive

easy to check with diskpart

@Insomniack

Man! It is interesting! Maybe I won't have this error on windows 7 x64. Mine is x32. But another man is complaining even on x64, so I am not alone!

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83706

What updates you have installed? Can you check and post here?

Could someone having simple voiyager corsair 16 gb or corsair gt 16 gb plug it into 32 bit windows 7 and check event log. It can not be that all my corsair usb drives are all defected or 5 computers of my friends and family badly configured...

Thanks a lot for trying to help!

Alex

I mainly install all the critical Microsoft updates that are currently available.

It's too long to list, but I've uploaded the details here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dyfi19lydva40dk/Updates.txt

I'm convinced this is a driver problem, or compatibility problem with Windows 7 and certain controllers.

I don't know if you've tried it or if it's been mentioned, but have you updated your motherboard drivers, and tried uninstalling your USB host controllers from Device Manager and rebooting?

Ok, installed all updates, even optional, no go. Event is constant.

I tried earlier to uninstall all usb drivers and force them to irenstall. No luck.

Chipset drivers of course are neweest. I even tried some day oldder ones, no difference.

Any other suggestions?

Alex

Have you tried checking your Bios?

Also check the power and bandwidth of your USB in Device Manager.

Try unplugging all non-vital USB devices.

Try a clean boot, and see if the errors happen.

And is this a motherboard USB (directly from the laptop), or a Hub, and does it do the same thing in different ports?

BTW, what is your chipset controller and driver version, out of curiousity?

PS, If any of these things have already been mentioned or suggested, ignore them.

EDIT: Forgot to add, can you check to see if your controller is running in PIO mode or UDMA?

im sorry, i just dont understand why win7 reports it as a harddisk, all my win 7 boxes show it as removable disk or USBSTOR in the driver properties under hardware ID.

im not doubting you at all i just cannot find anything that calls my flash drives harddisks.

other than the error where else can i see a flash drive listed as \harddiskx?

Have you tried checking your Bios?

Yes. Almost nothing can be changed there, but tried default settings. No go. It can not be that 5 notebooks have wrongly set bios and because of that ONLY corsair usb drives are producing event id 11 while other usb drives not.

Also check the power and bandwidth of your USB in Device Manager.

I only can untick one option for power saving. That changes nothing.

Try unplugging all non-vital USB devices.

Tried to unplug&uninstall all usb devices and even not usb. Why any of them should conflict with ONLY corsair usb drive? No go.

Try a clean boot, and see if the errors happen.

Tried that. Clean install, no motherboard drivers installed. Plug in and errors. ONLY for corsair usb drive.

And is this a motherboard USB (directly from the laptop), or a Hub, and does it do the same thing in different ports?

Directly from the laptop and error occurs in all 3 ports ONLY for corsair usb drive.

BTW, what is your chipset controller and driver version, out of curiousity?

Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828

version 8.2.0.1011. Tried other versions too. Different chipsets on other notebooks and still there is error with corsair usb drive.

Forgot to add, can you check to see if your controller is running in PIO mode or UDMA?

UDMA mode 2 and 5 (chanel 0 and chanel 1 accordingly)

@Synthohol

other than the error where else can i see a flash drive listed as \harddiskx?

Plug in usb drive

open cmd

type diskpart hit enter

type list disk hit enter

See it with your own eyes now

Is this the end of the road? How to contact any guy from the company?

All the best,

Alex

i see my 2 gig and 8 gig flash drives but they are just listed as "disk" not "harddisk"

im sure you can get it RMAd, i was just suspicious of the terminology of windows, its a simple misunderstanding of the registry sometimes, that was the avenue i was pursuing here.

i have a viewsonic P220f CRT but no matter what i do windows 7 INSISTS its a G810 monitor. the picture is fine and all my XP, server 2003, Vista boxes are fine with the proper model P220f.

its just real annoying.

I would just RMA it as i havent heard of anyone else here state the same issue that ive seen.

good luck!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7211&stc=1&d=1281617274

diskpart.jpg.93ae67b15122c4d1d9d9a5a228f86932.jpg

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest installing the drive then go to Device Manager and remove it under Disk Drives then with no other USB Drives attached under USB Controller remove everything from the Bottom up then turn off the system and turn it back on with no USB Devices attached this will force the USB Mass Storage drivers to be re-installed.

@RAM GUY

Tried your suggestion ealier with no luck, believe me

@Synthohol

Yes, that is strange that drive is recognized as harddisk but is it really corsair usb drive fault?

I found temporal solution but I am not sure what it means...

If I start diskpart through cmd BEFORE inserting corsair usb drive there are no errors in the event log no mater how corsair drive was formatted and how many times I insert/remove it. Closing diskpart and errors again in place.

So with diskpart started corsair drives are recognized properly meaning they are absolutely healthy. But why windows 7 can not recognize them properly without diskpart started? Is it corsair usb drive firmware problem or bad programing of the controller driver?

Waiting for your thoughts, guys!

Alex

Hello,

I am experiencing a very similar issue with other USB storage devices. I suspect that Windows 7 is not as tolerant as it needs to be of USB storage device tolerances.

Please see the following discussion:

My equipment is a Toshiba Tecra A11-S3531 laptop with Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. This computer is new within the past two months.

Everytime I plug in a USB San Disk Cruzer 8GB drive or a Seagate Free Agent Go 320 GB portable hard drive into any of the USB only ports on this computer, two or more Event ID 11 errors are immediately logged in the

event viewer. The corresponding message is "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk%\DR%". The % placeholder is different numbers at different events. Plugging into the combination USB/SATA port

does not generate the error.

I have tested this behavior on an exact out of the box factory software configuration with absolutely no modifications except as needed to easily see the events in event viewer.

I occasionally see misbehavior of applications and one recent freeze which prompted me to look at the event viewer. This is when I noticed the Event ID 11 errors.

I have also seen other error messages. I don't know if they are related, so I thought I would tackle the first one that appears timewise.

Does anybody know the cause of these error messages? My gut feel is that it is a driver problem since the computer is new and the error is logged when plugging multiple types of storage devices into any USB only port. The

mass storage USB driver appears to be USBSTOR.sys version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) which appears to be the default Microsoft driver with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I have seen other very similar problem descriptions posted on other websites.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 is far less tolerant with hardware.

EG: I have some CD's and DVD's that work fine.

If I use them in Windows 7, they work great, but I get numerous Event ID: 11 and 15, and the same error message except it says CDROM instead of Harddisk.

If I use them in XP, no errors.

These discs are almost perfect, and I scanned them for PI and PO errrors and they were very low (Quality rated at 98%).

That's why I wasn't concerned in my earlier statements if the drive was otherwise working OK.

Windows 7 is easily the best operating system Microsoft has ever released, but it's Event Logging is overzealous.

Whether that's by design or or it still needs a bit of tweaking, I don't know.

But there isn't a Windows 7 PC that gets used regularly that doesn't have any warnings or errors in Event Log.

For my own sanity, I generally ignore them unless I'm having problems with something.

EDIT: Alex, have you tried Intel driver v9.1, that's their latest?

@Insomniack

Yes, tried it and no difference. And that is strange, are they blind? Or have different computers?

I have had casual events id 11 on other computers with other brand usb drives as well BUT with Corsair usb drives these events are CONSTANT.

Just a shame...

Alex

• Corsair Employees
Could someone from the Corsair company inform MS about this problem?

Please don't misunderstand my reply just take it with a grain of salt, but when something is reported to Microsoft it would have to be more then two or three users having the problem, and at this time while I have seen it happen its not a major occurrence, this is the third instance of this I remember but the two previous cases as I remember where found to be the system causing the issue and reloading the O.S. with a fresh install solved the problem. We do take all of these reports seriously and will try to duplicate them in a controlled environment and to see what can be done to prevent them.

However, since you don't have any problems on other systems can you try a fresh install of the O.S. on another HDD, you don't need to register the O.S. you can just click next when it asks for the PID number and use it for 30 days; just do the install then test the Flash drive before any drivers are loaded.

Windows 7 is better than any other version of M.S. O.S. I agree with Insomniack, but I would also agree its error reporting and auto recovery could use some work (Just MY opinion), and I am sure someone from Microsoft would tell you that opinions are like one's behind; some are bigger and stinkier than others. :eek: Or if you have access to another system Running Windows 7 try it on another system. But I would tend to agree more then likely just a bug in the O.S. or a driver that has been installed and may be nothing to worry about. But I do not have a problem replacing the drive if you want to try that just request an RMA from the link on the left.

Archived