Corsair Community

Best AntiVirus for SSD's

seinar2

OK so I have two R120's in RAID0, fast as he**. I was a little worried, because I didnt have antivirus running on my machine. As a Comcast customer I get Norton Security Suite for free. So I install Norton, then a couple of weeks later, start getting all sorts of errors and BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD's, etc. The only change I made was install Norton. Not Norton Security Suite does all kinds of things, like disc optimization, clean up, de-frag, etc. I made sure I disabled all those things, but I dont believe it. Anyways, is there an anti-virus program that is SSD friendly? I put the blame on Norton, because I re-installed the operating system, etc. with no antivirus and my computer has been running smooth for a month now.

Personally, I always felt that Norton products are bloated monstrosities draining system resources and generally doing more harm than good. Im using Avast Home myself as its free, starightforward and quite sufficient for my needs. If youre looking for something more advanced - Ive heard good things about Kaspersky.

I agree, Norton's firewall wont even let me scan documents (i own a small business), i have to turn off the firewall then scan. Also, i have even disabled all norton services and i still get pop-ups telling me norton is doing background checks. It completely takes over your system, and i dont see a way to "exit" norton, it is always on.

I will try Kaspersky, i am not a big fan of "free" software other than OpenOffice. Thanks.

Personally, I always felt that Norton products are bloated monstrosities draining system resources and generally doing more harm than good.
i tend to agree about their retail suites HOWEVER,,sym an tek Corporate Anti-Virus is phenomenal. i personally have 10 pcs running it, i've installed it on every PC i have built in the past 10 years and it never gets in the way or hogs up crazy resources. i have 3 kids that surf god- knows-what and for stupid banner clicking i install spybot S&D with teatimer and im happy to say my pcs are still clean. my email is protected in and out, im just a very satisfied customer. sym an tek owns Norton but is for the corporate client without the need for all the firewall/cleansing/optimizing nonsense needed by the non experienced home user.

just my .02

to the OP, I dont belive you need any "special" AV just because your running on SSD's

So Norton should work.

If you are looking for a replacement AV product. I personally run with Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, and I absolutely love it. It simply just works. only make sure you install the parts you want.

There is NNS test done, which is linked on the trend site

http://nsslabs.com/host-malware-protection/consumer-anti-malware.html

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/competitive-benchmarks/

Detailed whitepaper on how its tested.

And no I dont work for Trend, simply a very satisfied customer for years

• Corsair Employee
I do personally like Trend Micro Anti-virus and use it on a few of my systems but recently I have been using AVG Free Edition especially on test systems. But there should not be any issues with any Anti-virus software with SSD's that I am aware of.

I guess what i am looking for is just basic anti-virus, not a suite that does disc optimization and such. The Norton i had installed did a lot of things i didnt want it to. Thanks everyone for their opinions, I have decided on the Trend Micro AV.

I do personally like Trend Micro Anti-virus and use it on a few of my systems but recently I have been using AVG Free Edition especially on test systems. But there should not be any issues with any Anti-virus software with SSD's that I am aware of.

Guys,

All those "free" editions are very limited in what they do. Most security threats these days are "blended," meaning that the attackers use more than one technology in order to attack you. You NEED full protection.

To me, using one of those free security products is like trying to drive safely with only 1 inflated tire and twoflats, and one wheel missing altogether.

x509

I'm a user of Norton/360 and Corsair CMFSSSD-256D1 almost a year now.

No problem at all. No virus or whatever. Performance of the original SSD looks still very good. 360 recoginizes SSD and does not any reorg.

• Corsair Employee

I user other things to plug up other holes/leaks for those systems it depends on the system and what it is used for. But any Anti Virus is better than none at all.

There are thousands of applications for Spam and Spyware scanners/blockers.

Addware By Lava Soft works well so does Spyware blaster.

Archived